Articulating seat

Good morning all. This is my first post. My SO recently bought an M20J. At a height of 5”1 she is having difficulty getting comfortable. We have installed pedal extensions and that helped. Now we are thinking about articulating seats to help her see out better. She’s been flying sitting on a square boat cushion with another behind her back, but I’m looking for a better solution. I’m open for ideas!

Thank you,

Robert Tanner

1 minute ago, Robert Tanner said:

Good morning all. This is my first post. My SO recently bought an M20J. At a height of 5”1 she is having difficulty getting comfortable. We have installed pedal extensions and that helped. Now we are thinking about articulating seats to help her see out better. She’s been flying sitting on a square boat cushion with another behind her back, but I’m looking for a better solution. I’m open for ideas!

Thank you,

Robert Tanner

Articulating seats are hard to find and when you do find them, are pretty expensive (not to mention you may want to redo the seats so they will all match). My wife is 5'2" and uses one of these: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/booster.php?clickkey=2855796

Another option is if she is the sole pilot of the plane, look into doing a reupholstery job and add a bunch of memory foam. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Tanner said:

Thank you,

Robert Tanner

There are two different rudder pedal options, 1-1/2" or 3".

It's very difficult to find an articulating seat for sale. There are a lot of people looking for them. Some have gone so far as to buy a new one from the factory ($3500 I think back in 2011).

Oregon Aero cushions are good, come in several configurations; at 5’4”,  my 2”   tweed seat cushion was helpful, but not a perfect solution. 1.5” pedal extensions were also, good, but 3” would have been bette. Let’s face it: these Mooneys were made for tall, thin pilots. Finally, I found a nice set of articulating seats, and bought them, am very happy.. (They came with a lovely Mooney Screaming Eagle wrapped around them. ) Now I need to find another pair of pedal extensions, and finally,  short, pudgy Grandma will be sittin’ pretty.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, Tanners!

While looking for a set of articulating seats...

Find the thread where people were discussing rebuilding their existing seats.

Interesting details of suppliers of foam and leather... flame testing and how to get it done...

And see the pictures from somebody redoing the seats of their recently acquired twin piper...  with hidden artwork drawn the day the bird was built...

’90s Mooneys got the super adjustable seats...

Best regards,

-a-

At 5'4" I couldn't fly without the adjustable seat, not only for height, but when it's cranked up all the way, the seat back also moves more forward than its own adjustment with the crank.

I was one of the lucky few to have located and purchased a set of articulating frames a few years ago after an extensive five year search. Although many here have made fun of me for paying what I did, my wife was/is forever grateful, and that my friend,  made it worth every penny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

For the pedals try glue on wood bocks on them.

José

When I learned of pedal extensions, I went out to the airport armed with 2x4 blocks and broccoli rubber bands, to try the two sizes out.The airport manager, who likes to keep an eye on things, caught me in the act. Wanted to know what in the hell I thought I was doing. I emerged from my very-awkward head-under-the-panel position, pointed to the newly installed 1.5” extensions, assured him I possessed the STC for these remarkable new budget-friendly options. I thought the poor fellow was going to have a stroke. Such fun to pull his chain. I did resist the urge to close the door and yell, “Clear!”  but explained, ever so carefully, that I may be crazy,  but I ain’t stupid.. :rolleyes: Or is that the other way around?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, Amelia said:

When I learned of pedal extensions, I went out to the airport armed with 2x4 blocks and broccoli rubber bands, to try the two sizes out.The airport manager, who likes to keep an eye on things, caught me in the act. Wanted to know what in the hell I thought I was doing. I emerged from my very-awkward head-under-the-panel position, pointed to the newly installed 1.5” extensions, assured him I possessed the STC for these remarkable new budget-friendly options. I thought the poor fellow was going to have a stroke. Such fun to pull his chain. I did resist the urge to close the door and yell, “Clear!”  but explained, ever so carefully, that I may be crazy,  but I ain’t stupid.. :rolleyes: Or is that the other way around?

Try these http://www.elevatorshoes.com/Index.asp.

Easy install no STC required.;)

José

• 2 weeks later...