Nose Wheel 65 M20E Help!!

bill98

Welp I landed at KSEP tonight to get some Hard 8 BBQ 

best landing in the plane so far.  

Once nose touched, major shimmy, nose tire flat :(

need mooneyspace help locating nose wheel (plus rim too)

anyone have a jack or can anyone help change a nose wheel in the DFW and Stephenville area?

That's a bummer. I assume you left the plane in KSEP?  I've changed a nose wheel with just a couple of full size guys pushing down on the horizontal stab. The nose comes up pretty easy... at least on a short or mid-body Mooney. No jack needed.

Hope you can find the wheel/tire/tube you need.

I tied it down and left it at SEP. 

took a Lyft home. Brought the lady friend with me. Made it a fun interesting date night, her first time up in the new girl! 

Rim looked to be just fine. I taxied on it to get it off the runway and Park it. Very slowly I might add. 

Of the three components, what is bad?

Is the wheel deformed or severely scratched? I assume with a flat tire the rubber will fold and prevent any damage occurring to that. If shes good, that saves a lot of money. Is the actual tire bad? Any cords or cracks? How old? Might be peace of mind to buy a new one. If you want to get the plane home for as cheap as possible, you could overnight an Air Hawk 5-5.00 nose tire and tube (make sure you get 90* stem) from AircraftSpruce. Won't be cheap, but still probably cheaper than paying a mechanics surcharge.

As Paul said, remove cotter pin and master nut, have some guys push down on the tail to lift the nose and remove the wheel/tire and place the truss on a block of wood. Separate the halves, remove tire and tube. Install new tube in new tire (dont forget the chalk) and add a little bit of air. Install wheel halves, torque accordingly, inflate all the way, and reinstall in plane. Should take 1-2 hrs max from pulling up to takeoff.

You'll need two sockets (I forget which size, I want to say 5/32nds for some reason, but I might be wrong), an air tank with probably 100psi, torque wrench, Mooney maintenance guide, tire chalk, and a couple blocks of wood. If you can find an A&P for the price of a 6-pack or lunch, its a win-win.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Aircraft spruce and Dresser are the two tire companies to get the tires from.

As noted. You want a 5.00 x 5.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Goodyear Flight Special II for the Nose.  Last year I put Goodyear Flgiht Custom III’s on the mains.  My precious flgiht custom III’s lasted over 6 years and 600+  hours on the mains.  The nose gear was at 7 and 700+.  With no braking action on the nose, I decided to save a bit on the nosewheel tire but still decent quality, 1 lb lighter, and half the price.  If it lasts anywhere close to the last one I’ll be happy.  Plus the mains already gave 120 more hours on them.  

I purchased it at Oshkosh.  Dresser normally has better prices and ships for free. But aircraft spruce really had great discounts at Oshkosh so I purchased there.

I second Van Bortel if you are near them - in my limited dealings with them they’ve been great.  I am rarely in Texas so locals know better.

Good luck!  

-Seth

• Like 1

Called the FBO there. They are going to change the wheel for me along with a good visual inspection of the rim. Looks like I should be good. Landing at 1945 in a small Texas town on a Sunday needing help is never a good thing as everything closes at 1600 or 1700 !:)