Lowering Ovation instrument panel

Airways

I’m not sure we are on the same page here. I’m 6 feet 7 and my partner 6 feet 5.  With the seat all the way down I have about 1,5 cm left before my head touches the ceiling. We really need no cushion. What we’d like is more outside view when we look forward. I thought that lowering the panel might give us more of a J-ish forward visibility. But if I understand correctly, the cowling is the limiting factor here.

I’d actually say the landing gear makes the more dramatic difference between a long body and a J sight picture. That difference disappears in flight. It’s very different in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I’d actually say the landing gear makes the more dramatic difference between a long body and a J sight picture. That difference disappears in flight. It’s very different in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most would agree with you that the 90% of the difference is due to the 5° nose-up attitude with the nosewheel on the ground, but having sat in other longbodies, the high panel in the early Ovation will contribute to it for some.

BTW, how's my old stomping ground, 7B2, doing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2018 at 7:44 AM, Airways said:

I’m not sure we are on the same page here. I’m 6 feet 7 and my partner 6 feet 5.  With the seat all the way down I have about 1,5 cm left before my head touches the ceiling. We really need no cushion. What we’d like is more outside view when we look forward. I thought that lowering the panel might give us more of a J-ish forward visibility. But if I understand correctly, the cowling is the limiting factor here.

To be completely honest, it seems like you guys are really limited with your height. never seen a 6'7" guy get out of a cirrus or Beachcraft. Also in flight visibility during flight is pretty good. I have the same panel in a 99 eagle and being 6'4", it works out fine. you shouldn't have an issue.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 9:44 AM, Airways said:

One thing to consider is the distance the seat is from the panel. One notch closer and you have a little bit more down angle on your view over the cowl. I know flying my J, and I am 6'5", the sight picture changes slightly with the seat in the rear-most position versus the next one forward. Fully articulating seats will give the most adjust-ability, but I understand the concern with head clearance in the planes. I am considering the Clarity Aloft headsets based on some of the summer weather we have around here and the associated turbulence.

I also recommend flying the plane and seeing just how much the sight picture changes on approach. 

One final note. When you get the plane and someone of shorter stature sits in the right seat, have them lower it before the exit the plane. Watching my 6'8" son climb into the seat where his 5'5" step-mother last sat is entertaining for me and painful for him even with the seat in the rear-most position!

On 8/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, StevenL757 said:

I’m between 6’4” and 6’5” .....

Honestly (and respectfully) you’re making an issue over nothing.  Again, go fly one.  Where are you located?  If you’re a reasonable distance, you and I can connect, and I’ll take you up.

Steve

Same here: 6'5"; not an issue. Get used to the view out the window and you're done.

The real issue when transitioning from -- say high-wing Cessna's - into an Ovation is speed control on landing, avoiding float, and the most common accident/incident in Mooney Ovations: Loss of control on landing (which in my view has nothing to do with view out the window).

I personally think that the motivation for Mooney was the "first-impression-issue", i.e., when potential customers not familiar with Mooney's sit in one for the first time. Reminds me of the story a professor once told me: He was an expert in physical anthropology and designed desk chairs as a business on the side; he told the story that when he had a big deal pending with customer decision makers in to review, he would adjust the desk chairs to "lay-back" so the reviewers could comfortably lay-back and say "this feels good" -- but you would NEVER want to sit at a desk and work that way.....).

• Like 1