Lowering Ovation instrument panel

Airways

Hi mooniacs,

does anybody know (for sure) whether it is possible to replace the instrument panel of an Ovation (first gen) with the panel of an O2 DX ?  I understand the engine instruments would’t fit, but I was more thinking about the attachements to the tubular steel cage.  I’m really keen on an Ovation for sale but one of the co-owners (VFR-rated only) can’t live with the height of the panel.

Thanks !

Have they flown one yet? It seems much higher on the ground than in flight. Also the seats adjust vertically. Here is mine and I see cowl ahead in flight, not sure lowering it would change the view much.

And of course even if it’s legal, I’d imagine it’s prohibitively expensive.

4b13c10416d8b4c7c76c96ed88b22bbc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes we sat in one, but didn’t fly it.  It is the taxi & landing phase that worries him.  Since Mooney lowered the panel in the O2 DX, I thought they agreed on this.  Also, we flew a J right before looking at the O.  The difference in forward view between those two is already big.

Airways,

A lot of the difference is the length of the engine and much of the engine mount of the O...

If the J and the O are in a close battle... go J save tons of cash...

If Long Body and speed are a solution to the mission, go O!

To See over the long cowl... raise the seat.  Bring the eyes as close to the ceiling as possible...

It’s the cowl in the way, not the panel like the pic indicates...

One take-off in a 310hp O and the whole discussion about panel height will be...

What was that issue again...?   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Airways said:

Yes we sat in one, but didn’t fly it.  It is the taxi & landing phase that worries him.  Since Mooney lowered the panel in the O2 DX, I thought they agreed on this.  Also, we flew a J right before looking at the O.  The difference in forward view between those two is already big.

It is really big.I'm chuckling a bit, but this might actually help: A friend was having a little difficulty transitioning into an Ovation because of the landings. I told him to recall his early training in a Cessna 172 to develop the right sight picture.

I’d go fly one, personally I think it’s overblown.

• Like 1

Just now, gsengle said:

I’d go fly one, personally I think it’s overblown.

I think "overblown" is a function of experience - both length and type. A pilot who has little experience, or even lots of experience in a very few types, magnifies the differences between aircraft. But I agree with you. A lesson or two should smooth out some of the rough spots and five the potential purchaser a more realistic perspective.. 

1 minute ago, Airways said:

“ I’d go fly one “

Exactly what we’re planning.  Can change everything...

It does change everything...

Test Flying isn't about making sure the plane works...

It is making sure the plane fits the mission as expected.... it fits you...

way to many variables that can’t be measured on the ground... or from pics...

Best regards,

-a-

I have a late model Bravo which has lowered panel for the lack of a better phrase it’s fine, my friend has an early Ovation with the tall paneI,I agree with AW it’s tough seeing over the cowling especially when on the ground. When airborne it was better, I’d go for a flight and try.

Am I missing something?

The new to be owner is a tall guy at 6’5”...

Why would lowering the panel be helpful?

Isn’t he not having a problem seeing over the panel?

Have no fear...

Mooneys are for everybody...

From the smallest to the tallest...

The thickest to the thinnest...

If you need specific advice ask Yetti... (he is around here too)

Best regards,

-a-

Am I missing something?
The new to be owner is a tall guy at 6’5”...
Why would lowering the panel be helpful?
Isn’t he not having a problem seeing over the panel?

Have no fear...
Mooneys are for everybody...
From the smallest to the tallest...
The thickest to the thinnest...
If you need specific advice ask Yetti... (he is around here too)
Best regards,
-a-

I agree, in my ‘96 Ovation, if my head is near the ceiling, the cowl limits the view and the panel is almost as high, but not the limiting factor. It does seem awfully high though when sitting on the ground. That said I wouldn’t give up the panel space, and those early Ovations are a great deal imho if they’ve been taken care of, like any airplane...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Airways said:

Hi mooniacs,

does anybody know (for sure) whether it is possible to replace the instrument panel of an Ovation (first gen) with the panel of an O2 DX ?  I understand the engine instruments would’t fit, but I was more thinking about the attachements to the tubular steel cage.  I’m really keen on an Ovation for sale but one of the co-owners (VFR-rated only) can’t live with the height of the panel.

Thanks !

I’m between 6’4” and 6’5” and have to bring the seat height up slightly...high enough to get my visual sight line over the glareshield correct, and low enough where the top of my headset clears the ceiling by a small, yet comfortable amount.  I don’t believe there are dimension differences between the panels in the pre-1999 airplanes and the post-1999 (Moritz gauge) airplanes.  Your six-pack and other instruments are simply mounted below the Moritz package.

Honestly (and respectfully) you’re making an issue over nothing.  Again, go fly one.  Where are you located?  If you’re a reasonable distance, you and I can connect, and I’ll take you up.

Steve

• Like 1

The earlier panels had enough space to put instruments three high, the later ones two high below the Moritz gauges. Mooneys don't have a lot of real estate on the panel. I am happy with the taller panel. The seat adjust enough for just about anyone I've ever seen. But I would find the airplane with the panel height you want and buy it - and not try too modify the panel height.

Hate to bring this up, but if the potential partner is that much of a stickler about this . . . .hmm

• Like 3

I’m not sure we are on the same page here. I’m 6 feet 7 and my partner 6 feet 5.  With the seat all the way down I have about 1,5 cm left before my head touches the ceiling. We really need no cushion. What we’d like is more outside view when we look forward. I thought that lowering the panel might give us more of a J-ish forward visibility. But if I understand correctly, the cowling is the limiting factor here.

• Like 1