Tailpipe clamp

8 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Not the rubber hanger, Hank. The metal clamp it attaches to that wraps around the tailpipe. Ours is designed a little bit differently than yours but serves the same function.  At least, that is what was broken on mine.  I don’t remember the part number.

Jim

I have one from an F. It looks just like Hanks above. I can take a picture of it tomorrow when I'm out at the airport.

15 minutes ago, marcusku said:

I've broken 3 of these clamps in the past 70 hours since I've owned the airplane.  Anyone else have trouble with these?  I don't believe I have unusual vibration. 

No, that is unusual.  I have over 1000hrs on my clamp and possibly more as I’m not sure how long it’s been on there. It was in good condition when I replaced the exhaust so it was reused.

20 minutes ago, marcusku said:

I've broken 3 of these clamps in the past 70 hours since I've owned the airplane.  Anyone else have trouble with these?  I don't believe I have unusual vibration. 

The last time we replaced it was approximately 300 hours ago.

3 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Is that a nylock nut forward of the firewall? Or is that question too anal for the MooneySpace crowd?

When the fire starts, the nut will melt and vibrate loose, releasing 1/2 the hanger strap, dropping the tail pipe into the inferno.

It isn't right, but I think he is going to live to fly another day!

7 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Is that a nylock nut forward of the firewall? Or is that question too anal for the MooneySpace crowd?

Never paid it any attention. She's been annualed by 3 different IAs in the 11 years I've owned her, and even the one who cut the new strap from my old tire and helped replace it after he pointed out that it was broken didn't say anything . . . What do they say about a new set of eyes?

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When the fire starts, the nut will melt and vibrate loose, releasing 1/2 the hanger strap, dropping the tail pipe into the inferno.

It isn't right, but I think he is going to live to fly another day!

I think he'd have much bigger issues in fire then broken strap. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 10:17 AM, marcusku said:

I’ve had problems too.  I suspect it’s due to improper installation that doesn’t allow flexibility along the proper plane.  Frankly, I don’t understand why that short tube is supported by two brackets, not one.  In any event, my current one seems to be OK.  Som I’m not touching it!