Gear Warn breaker popping with Master on! Please help!

19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Do the simple stuff first. Loosening up the breaker panel and testing is the easiest. From there it is a matter of degrees of hard.

Also, don’t discount those breakers going bad. I have replaced almost all of them over the 27 years I have owned my F. Some failed like you are seeing. I still think it is a short but stranger things have happened.

BTW - I’d take your work panel any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd be willing to believe it could possibly be a breaker but I think the fact that the test button for the annunciator pops a different systems breaker is telling.

7 hours ago, Flyingfisher said:

I'd be willing to believe it could possibly be a breaker but I think the fact that the test button for the annunciator pops a different systems breaker is telling.

And, combined with the schematics, could be an important clue to pre-locating, so to speak, likely locations for the short.

• Like 1

"Shortly" (see what I did there?) after installing my Accutrak and a new breaker panel, my T/C breaker would pop.  After some frustration and replacement of the breaker I finally found the breaker was actually contacting the metal tray the Accutrak sits in.  

I don't believe in coincidences, something happened when the DME was installed.

IMG_20161021_100731283.thumb.jpg.a9fd1a7456fcff2d7615fe71847607d1.jpg

• Like 1

Found the culprit. Someone broke my gear warning display many moons ago and bodged a repair. Looks like I'm gonna have to rewire it or get a new plug if possible. Super fun. At least I hope this is the issue. The breaker stays in until I wiggle this guy.

EDIT: Nevermind.... I guess I just didn't have the plug in far enough for power. It still trips. 

20180807_135036.jpg

Edited by Flyingfisher
  • Like 1

OK... silicone isn’t usually used for electrical fixes...? :)

What is the broken insulation right next to the silicone... bottom right of pic? See if that is a live wire that lets electricity escape... using a volt meter would be good...

looks like a wire crimp connector that has gotten old...?

Cleanest nails working on a Mooney! :)

See if you can remember the words and the order in which they were delivered... you may need them again...

-a-

33 minutes ago, carusoam said:

OK... silicone isn’t usually used for electrical fixes...? :)

What is the broken insulation right next to the silicone... bottom right of pic? See if that is a live wire that lets electricity escape... using a volt meter would be good...

looks like a wire crimp connector that has gotten old...?

Cleanest nails working on a Mooney! :)

See if you can remember the words and the order in which they were delivered... you may need them again...

-a-

It's the bracket that holds it all together. It was silicone together to keep n it from falling apart it looks like. Very unlikely I'll get another so I'll probably have to reglue it or something. I took out the little screw wiggling around in there and it's all working now. No idea how. And what do you mean the words and the order? As for the nails hah it's a good pic I jacked them up pretty bad haha! Deep scratches, thanks.

3 hours ago, Flyingfisher said:

...And what do you mean the words and the order? As for the nails hah it's a good pic I jacked them up pretty bad haha! Deep scratches, thanks.

When working on broken things... unleashing a string of swear words is often natural...

When the broken device starts working after the ‘incantation’ has been used...  one needs to remember the exact words and order they were released in....  :)

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

When working on broken things... unleashing a string of swear words is often natural...

When the broken device starts working after the ‘incantation’ has been used...  one needs to remember the exact words and order they were released in....  :)

-a-

Oh I see. I definitely remember them. Hahaha let's just hope it stays fixed. Actually funny enough the last thing I said was: (talking to my A&P) "Oh that wire that goes down? It goes to the Ram air so when it's open and the gear is down you get a light... oh what the hell may as well try it. *pulls ram air* *flips master on* *confusion as to why it didn't trip* what the hell...?" Haha

Edited by Flyingfisher
  • Like 1

So you had/have/will have a short.  Your plane is real close to mine in serial number.

There is a micro switch on the ram air push pull knob that is part of the gear warning circuit.   if the gear is down and the ram air is open, the "ram air" warn light about 2 from right on the top of panel will come on. 

The ram air switches right below were your DMe was installed and where you have to take the 2 panels on and off.   Check all the wiring there and report back.

Be prepared to be angry with the people that installed your DME

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

So you had/have/will have a short.  Your plane is real close to mine in serial number.

There is a micro switch on the ram air push pull knob that is part of the gear warning circuit.   if the gear is down and the ram air is open, the "ram air" warn light about 2 from right on the top of panel will come on. 

The ram air switches right below were your DMe was installed and where you have to take the 2 panels on and off.   Check all the wiring there and report back.

Be prepared to be angry with the people that installed your DME

Oh I am angry haha I'm 90% sure it's metal dust from them dremeling something. It's everywhere in here. I blew and vacuumed it all out and I broke a freaking diode taking out the gear warning stuff so I had to snag some new ones lol... should be fixed today fingers crossed.20180808_122115.thumb.jpg.dca18236b01e2a22112000ea17d107a1.jpg.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, Flyingfisher said:

It's the bracket that holds it all together. It was silicone together to keep n it from falling apart it looks like. Very unlikely I'll get another so I'll probably have to reglue it or something. 

Since we seem to be nearing the finish line on this CB thing.... allow me to hit on the other part looking for attention.

There are a couple of ways to get replacement parts...

• Some times they are New Old Stock (NOS) sitting on a shelf...  Lasar.com
  • Some times they can get manufactured...  Lasar.com
  • Often there is a used one in working condition looking for a new flying home...  @acpartswhse
  • Starting a new thread titled something like ‘in search of... M20F Ram Air part...’
  • Or Check with our guy that is building modern cowlings he may have a few deleted parts left over...

If I understand correctly this is a part related to the Ram air feature...

Slowly over time, people are deleting the ram air system while replacing it with a better flowing intake system...

Just some Other things to consider if you are thinking of keeping this bird for a long time... Some people refer to a bird like this, as a forever-plane...

M20Fs make great forever planes....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Since we seem to be nearing the finish line on this CB thing.... allow me to hit on the other part looking for attention.

• Often there is a used one in working condition looking for a new flying home...  @acpartswhse
  • Starting a new thread titled something like ‘in search of... M20F Ram Air part...’
  • Or Check with our guy that is building modern cowlings he may have a few deleted parts left over...

Slowly over time, people are deleting the ram air system while replacing it with a better flowing intake system...

Just some Other things to consider if you are thinking of keeping this bird for a long time... Some people refer to a bird like this, as a forever-plane...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you. Actually it is the wiring retainer that is in the back of the bracket that holds the landing gear position light. We soldered in some new diodes, glued it back together in a way that can be easily removed for bulb replacement and put it all back together. Everything is working wonderfully now. My first experience on this forum has been an excellent one and I will definitely be sticking around. P.S. Check this bad boy out... knocked the dust off of it and pulled up the schematics old school style hahaha

38749804_465115600634838_8604929564075884544_n.jpg

• Like 2

The collective power of MS is truelly awesome...

Hang out a while and see how it works in amazing ways...

One day, you will be holding the answer to somebody else’s challenge... type away! Send a pic,  pull out a drawing...

You will know what to do when the opportunity arises... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

Unless you are looking for the unobtainium boot between the airbox and the fuel servo......    On the J, the ram air can be deleted.... different cowl.    on the F between the cowl flaps and ram air, I think they still make a difference.

14 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

when you decide what you need let me know as i have a couple 75's i am parting.  probably have it  jerry presslry  423 231 3491

Well, I need basically all the wiring and brackets for the lightbulbs including the light bulbs for the gear warning annunciator system next to the gear lever. Pic related, the whole mess behind the lights up there except for the gear lever. 

20180807_135036.jpg.fcf0ec16127d73893564eabba7efd301.jpg

Edited by Flyingfisher

• 2 years later...

Hi Mooniacs,

here is what‘s happening in my Acclaim Type S.

The CB connected to the „GEAR DOWN“ lamp popps in flight after  a couple of minutes (gear up). As soon as i lower the gear, I can push the CB the gear down light is lit and the CB remains in place. As soon as I bring up the gear the CB popps again. 

Any body out there with an idea?

Thx for your help

Jürgen N665AG

1 hour ago, Jürgen said:

Hi Mooniacs,

here is what‘s happening in my Acclaim Type S.

The CB connected to the „GEAR DOWN“ lamp popps in flight after  a couple of minutes (gear up). As soon as i lower the gear, I can push the CB the gear down light is lit and the CB remains in place. As soon as I bring up the gear the CB popps again. 

Any body out there with an idea?

Thx for your help

Jürgen N665AG

I had a condition where my gear CB would pop if the gear was up and the throttle was back (normal gear warm situation).  Ended up being a bad diode which appears to be the culprit with some regularity.  Obviously there are numerous other failure modes.  Find yourself a schematic as that was the only way my mechanic was able to trace it back.  

Welcome aboard Jürgen.

Doesn’t sound like a common problem.

Next steps are typically putting the plane up on jacks... to see if the problem can be replicated...

There are three levels of response to fix things like this...

1) Start with your local mechanic... might be something easily found and fixed...

2) Consult with your MSC... your closest Mooney service center...  Mooney.com lists the global MSCs on their website...

3) If it is really challenging... The Mooney factory is still open and still supports Mooney owners... while building the next airframe...

PP thoughts only...

Seeing if @Davidv is passing by overhead... he often has great ideas for next steps...

Best regards,

-a-