Flying the G500 TXi to Oshkosh

donkaye

I posted this on Beechtalk, but for those who don't go there, here it is again.

I now have about 30 hours with the G500 TXi, upgraded from the G500. The upgrade was finished a couple of days before Oshkosh. I spent 4 hours before leaving for Oshkosh getting acquainted with it doing multiple approaches, Then I flew it from San Jose to Madison to Rapid City to Ogden and then back to San Jose. I'm glad I did the upgrade, but...

First off I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone who has done the upgrade has had issues with the touch screen. I have NEVER ONCE had issues with the GTN 750 and GTN 650, but on at least 3 occasions on this trip the touch screen was not at all responsive to my touch. I had to touch it multiple times before it would recognize my touch. This has happened with the Baro icon the Heading icon and the V/S icon.

I have found that having the PFD on the left is somewhat problematic for me. In split screen mode reaching over with my right hand to change the knob position for a heading change is awkward. OTOH when given an altitude change it is easy to turn the knob with my left hand then tap the ARM with my right hand, then advance to the V/S with the left hand and tap the V/S to ARM the vertical speed with the right. In full screen mode I just use the right hand for heading changes, but have found that when going back to split screen I sometimes use the right hand before I realize I need to use the left. I never noticed any of these issues with the G500 original. I may just go ahead and reverse the screens.

The HSI map may be nice if you don't have a GTN, but I have found that is is not very useful for me. There is not enough detail, but then again, the screen is not very large inside that enlarged HSI. I always switch back to the legacy HSI as I enter the terminal area.

I can't decide whether I like the 60/40 PFD/MFD. I think I would rather have it 50/50 like the old G500. I wish Garmin gave that as that option.

System setup is much easier than with the legacy G500 and I really do like the larger screen. Enroute with no difficult enroute weather I use the large screen. With possible problematic weather, I use the split screen in combination with the GTN 750/GTN 650/ Aera 796/iPad each displaying a different weather product.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the view out the window over Nevada where smoke from the fires cut visibility to near IFR conditions, and what it looked like on the G500 TXi.

IMG_20180801_091121660.jpg

IMG_20180801_091221471.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, donkaye said:

First off I'd be interested in knowing whether anyone who has done the upgrade has had issues with the touch screen. I have NEVER ONCE had issues with the GTN 750 and GTN 650, but on at least 3 occasions on this trip the touch screen was not at all responsive to my touch. I had to touch it multiple times before it would recognize my touch. This has happened with the Baro icon the Heading icon and the V/S icon.

Hey Don!! Glad you got yours installed, I think like me, its going to grow on you and you'll probably love it.

Have not had any issues with my touch screen responsiveness. Maybe its a sensitivity issue that needs some tweaking by your mechanic?

On 8/2/2018 at 10:01 AM, donkaye said:

I have found that having the PFD on the left is somewhat problematic for me. In split screen mode reaching over with my right hand to change the knob position for a heading change is awkward. OTOH when given an altitude change it is easy to turn the knob with my left hand then tap the ARM with my right hand, then advance to the V/S with the left hand and tap the V/S to ARM the vertical speed with the right. In full screen mode I just use the right hand for heading changes, but have found that when going back to split screen I sometimes use the right hand before I realize I need to use the left. I never noticed any of these issues with the G500 original. I may just go ahead and reverse the screens.

If you can, I would suggest reversing your screens so your PFD is always on the right, so your control knob for PFD functions is always on the right which makes it easy to do course, altitude arm and select, VS arm and select ONLY with using my right hand only no matter if I am in full or half screen. I have gotten very fast at doing all of these motions quickly.

Also with  my MFD on the left, I've started to use that knob as well and found that full large knob left is map, an full large knob right is engine (which will be different for yours since you don't have the EIS page) and its just a matter of time before I memorize how many clicks from full right or left each screen is to quickly go from screen to screen without having to use the touch screen which I have found it to be faster.

BTW, @donkaye, I havent yet seen a picture of your full panel since you've got your TXI installed, care to share?

And true, the map inside of the HSI probably isn't necessary, but since its a nice feature as I have weather, obstacle, traffic alerts, lightning and course info on it at the same time, so it doesn't matter what screen my MFD is on on my TXI or GTN, I can always get an idea of whats going on in multiple systems by looking inside of my HSI map which is already integral in my scan.

I just upgraded from the Flightstream 210 to 510 so I can hopefully more simply obtain my EIS data, but I'm sue that will take some tweaking and getting used to, but Im hoping I can still update the cards at home if I choose to, but I think you said you had no issues getting used to yours except for the Flight chart data.

Anyway, I would do the PFD/MFD side switch if I were in your shoes if your panel layout allows it.

John