New attitude indicator

3 minutes ago, bob865 said:

Looks like the G5 has some competition.

I didn't see anything listed in regards to autopilot integration, current or future.  Looks like a nice product, but still not in direct comp with the G5.

1 hour ago, Browncbr1 said:

Very nice.  Has moving map in arc mode.  Ultimately, AP integration is why I got the dual G5s, so this one would need that to compete. 

Any word/update from Garmin on connecting an Accurate-Flite to the G5 DG?  I really want to do this as ours is starting to precess.

6 hours ago, kpaul said:

I didn't see anything listed in regards to autopilot integration, current or future.  Looks like a nice product, but still not in direct comp with the G5.

Excuse the question if it is a dumb one, but with AP integration you set the heading bug on the DG and the AP follows that, right? Without the AP integration you have to reach over and set the heading on the AP? Is there more to it than that? I don't see why it is such a hassle  to set a heading on the AP.

6 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Excuse the question if it is a dumb one, but with AP integration you set the heading bug on the DG and the AP follows that, right? Without the AP integration you have to reach over and set the heading on the AP? Is there more to it than that? I don't see why it is such a hassle  to set a heading on the AP.

It serves as the GPSS to tie the AP with the GPS.  It will fly approaches to include holding.  And in my case the heading bug on the G5 is the only way to change the heading on the AP other than using CWS and flying to a new heading then releasing the CWS button on the new heading.

• Thanks 1

If you're just using this as backup in case your primary instruments fail, why not just use an app on your phone?  I have a magnetic mount where I put my phone and it has DG and attitude indicator app I got for free that works great as a backup if my primary instruments failed.

21 hours ago, DXB said:

Looks really nice but I suspect it won't be STC'd to back up glass (Aspen or otherwise).  The 30min battery life seems a tad short also.

This little unit by them also seems nice though:

https://aerovonics.com/av-20-1

Interesting, for under $1000 I would get a clock/timer (which I need), an AOA, and a backup AI. (Assuming they get the certification which is currently pending, with no expected date listed that I can find)

3 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

If you're just using this as backup in case your primary instruments fail, why not just use an app on your phone?  I have a magnetic mount where I put my phone and it has DG and attitude indicator app I got for free that works great as a backup if my primary instruments failed.

This is really only relevant in IMC conditions since we don't need an attitude indicator in VMC conditions. Would you really want to use an ipad app for attitude IMC? Although I can understand as a last resort in an emergency, I certainly would not want that to be my planned backup/outcome. Not with lots of certified panel options to choose from. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, kortopates said:

This is really only relevant in IMC conditions since we don't need an attitude indicator in VMC conditions. Would you really want to use an ipad app for attitude IMC? Although I can understand as a last resort in an emergency, I certainly would not want that to be my planned backup/outcome. Not with lots of certified panel options to choose from. 

Legally you'd have to have an installed turn/bank or second attitude indicator to meet the FAR requirements for IFR flight.

-Robert

4 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Legally you'd have to have an installed turn/bank or second attitude indicator to meet the FAR requirements for IFR flight.

-Robert

Absolutely true.

But the accident record shows us that the vast majority of pilots never practice or maintain any partial panel currency since we continue to have partial panel fatalities when their vacuum pumps fails in IMC. We just had one a couple years ago when an ATP rated pilot lost control from VFR on top when he tried to descend through a layer below him. IIRC The radar track showed the Bonanza didn't even get as far as 2000' in the descent IMC before the plane became over stressed and broke up in flight killing everyone on board. This just shows us that average pilot needs a backup attitude indicator to survive such a failure in IMC. Luckily most failures are in VMC. Very sad since this should be a non event for every instrument pilot on check ride day but few ever practice partial panel without an IPC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I wish they shared more information on what the installation is like. Does it require an external antenna or GPS feed like the G5 does, etc?

-robert

Look at the bottom of the page @Skates97 provided - it shows the available (optional) interfaces - pitot/static system, OAT probe and audio panel only. It also has a schematic of sorts  for aircraft installation. Nothing on GPS but for this price point I wouldn't expect it to.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Look at the bottom of the page @Skates97 provided - it shows the available (optional) interfaces - pitot/static system, OAT probe and audio panel only. It also has a schematic of sorts  for aircraft installation. Nothing on GPS but for this price point I wouldn't expect it to.

Interesting Garmin says the GPS feed is required to correct errors in the AHRS and is part of the certification requirement. I wonder if this unit will require GPS feed for the same reason by the time they get FAA approval.

-Robert

Just now, RobertGary1 said:

Interesting Garmin says the GPS feed is required to correct errors in the AHRS and is part of the certification requirement. I wonder if this unit will require GPS feed for the same reason by the time they get FAA approval.

-Robert

The aspen uses the pitot / static system to correct errors. Since this system requires p/s connections to display the AI I’m guessing a gps connection is not necessary. 

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Absolutely true.

But the accident record shows us that the vast majority of pilots never practice or maintain any partial panel currency since we continue to have partial panel fatalities when their vacuum pumps fails in IMC. We just had one a couple years ago when an ATP rated pilot lost control from VFR on top when he tried to descend through a layer below him. IIRC The radar track showed the Bonanza didn't even get as far as 2000' in the descent IMC before the plane became over stressed and broke up in flight killing everyone on board. This just shows us that average pilot needs a backup attitude indicator to survive such a failure in IMC. Luckily most failures are in VMC. Very sad since this should be a non event for every instrument pilot on check ride day but few ever practice partial panel without an IPC.

I still think about this crash on almost a monthly basis. The being VFR on top with a AI failure and ending up going down with multiple passengers...the ATC audio sticks with me, not really sure why this one in particular. 

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

A friend of mine flew a night IFR flight using nothing but an IPAD with Stratus. He turned the instrument lights down till they were off so he couldn't see them. This included a real instrument approach at the other end of the trip.

He said it was easier than using the ships instruments. 

He made this trip almost every night for almost a year, so he was bored.