Pilot training

PTK

I’d like to ask the professional pilots who fly for the airlines about training paths. A friend asked me because his son has expressed an interest in becoming an airline pilot. I have taken him up a few times and he is very excited about flying and interested to explore it as a career. He is currently in his second year in college and has zero time. I suggested to him the next step should be to take a couple of intro flights with an instructor to get his feet wet on flying an airplane.

As far as schools what are the best options out there that train career pilots? Any suggestions I can relay to this gentleman highly appreciated!

Although I went to Auburn, and it’s a great school, MTSU also has that delta partnership.   My freshman roommate at AU went through the aviation program at AU and liked it.  I believe they have a fleet of 172s.   mTSU has a ton of diamonds that swarm MBT like knats.   

• Like 1

Personal preference - learn through a Part 61 school at the local airport.  it's a lot cheaper than the university flight programs. Since he's in college keep him on another degree path outside aviation.  Graduate ASAP with as little college debt as possible.

That way, if he ends up like me at age 29 (ATP MEL but at the moment it would be risking denial to go for a first class medical certificate - so I'm stuck flying under BasicMed) he will have other options.

I'm fortunate that I work for an aviation insurance company (underwriter) and have a business degree.

But I'd be at the airlines in a heartbeat if I could be assured of that first class medical.

I got all my ratings at a few different part 61 schools.  Wouldn't change a thing.

There are some advantages to going to ATP, Baylor Aviation Science - Sic 'Em :), E-R, UND, etc...looking back, I'm glad I didn't.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

But I'd be at the airlines in a heartbeat if I could be assured of that first class medical.

Not to hijack this thread or be nosy, Parker, but I don't understand this.

• Sad 1

The professional pilot track looks to be booming for a while, but I'd follow Parker's recommendation to at least get a "regular" college degree to have another professional option should something derail the pilot track. An illness, accident, terrorist event, economic crash, etc can take away your pilot career in an instant and an aviation science degree or similar won't easily get you to a current regular job/career.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 9:23 AM, HRM said:

Not to hijack this thread or be nosy, Parker, but I don't understand this.

I have a medical condition I developed and was diagnosed about 3 years ago that would require a lengthy special issuance process (which I'm willing to do).  My doctors have *no problem* with me flying - including the one who signed me off for BasicMed who is also a pilot.

The medical condition does not require a mandatory denial, but expert opinion from an AME says the FAA would have a strong probability of denying a first class medical.

I meet the requirements for BasicMed, so I'm just flying and flight instructing under that until something can happen where I could apply for a first class medical and not lose BasicMed privileges if denied.

:wacko:

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

I have a medical condition I developed and was diagnosed about 3 years ago that would require a lengthy special issuance process (which I'm willing to do). 

Sorry to hear that, you are so young. Hang in there.