Cleaning windscreen- old residue

I’ve searched for tips on the best cleaning products. It seems that plexus is pretty widely recommended. However, I’m unable to really get my windshield clean of what appears to be old grime maybe dried oil from years of not being cleaned. I can actually see the little black spots- not sure but it’s rough to the touch. Plexus isn’t doing much to it. I’m tempted to use something stronger but don’t want to destroy windscreen. Any ideas? This pic won’t really show it but I’ll post it just the same. Thanks! 

1FAB3E52-5569-4CF5-92A5-0ADB1D89B445.jpeg

My IA pointed me to http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/nuvitenushine.php to get rid of some old overspray on my windshield.  It certainly did an excellent job with the corner he used it on.  I haven't gotten around to it, but I'm also thinking about using some novus 2 on it and see if it will take it off (It's actually designated for plexiglass).

I used a MicroMesh kit to remove old scratches and overspray, and then Novus plastic polish #3 and #2 for the finishing.  Obviously, you don't want to do this regularly, and it's a fricking lot of elbow grease, but it did the trick a couple years ago. 

I should point out that if you use MicroMesh, you're supposed to do the entire windshield to keep it even, don't just do one part of the windshield.

I tried Plexus a long time ago and did not like it because it always left a streaky residue. After each flight I use a hand spray bottle of water with a few drops of car wash soap/wax. Spray the windshield and let it soak into the dried bugs and grime while I use a soft rag and clean the wings and cowl with the same spray.  After cleaning the wings and cowl then spray the windscreen again and use a clean microfiber cloth making up and down movements only, no circles or swirls. Use a clean side of the microfiber cloth on each side of the windscreen and as few touches as possible to get it clean. That microfiber must be washed before using again. After 1,000 hours my windscreen looks almost as good as it did in 2006 when it was installed. 

• Like 1

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/scratchoff_1.php?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnZXbBRC8ARIsABEYg6BnnYoFpRCzl4V7KOHQym5-EkRzkOAoHVYuDN6TZTddx8v15v8gRZgaAiUyEALw_wcB

No doubt use this. Micromesh is a total PIA. I would rather replace the windshield before I ever micromesh again. My scout windshield was terribly scratched. I was going to replace it, so I decided to experiment. I wet sanded with 800, 1200, 1400 grit papers. then finished it with scratchoff. came out great, still had some imperfections, but was 90% a new windshield and it only took me a little more then half a day. I used to be a custom car body guy, so I am really comfortable sanding on stuff. I wouldnt recommend if you dont know what your doing. but the kit was really easy to use.

• Like 1

My A&P gave mine a once-over with a handheld buffing wheel and some 3M plastic polish to get some light scratches out (looked like someone had wiped the windshield with a dusty rag) right after I bought the plane from him.  Obviously not something you want to do every day, but definitely the best way to restore the screen to full luster and clarity.

I've been maintaining it with Plexus and micrifibre cloths since.  If it picks up any large particles or bugs, those get washed off with water before the plexus and cloth have a go. 

I've always felt that my windows were 'hazy'. I've never touched them with anything except to dry after washing with a soft towel. Is there a product that might remove the haze, or is this just old plexi?

HazyWindow.thumb.jpg.f635b4e9f3e55d30a86d1cc791110729.jpg

19 hours ago, HRM said:

I've always felt that my windows were 'hazy'. I've never touched them with anything except to dry after washing with a soft towel. Is there a product that might remove the haze, or is this just old plexi?

HazyWindow.thumb.jpg.f635b4e9f3e55d30a86d1cc791110729.jpg

I used Flitz on my windows.  It worked great!  

IMG_0041.jpg

Edited by Guitarmaster
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Keith20EH said:

I like “Slick Mist” by Lucas Oil,  the pump sprayer really saturates the windscreen, polishes clean.  Pretty cheap, because it doesn’t say anything about using it on airplanes.  amazon, wallmart, etc.

I don't know if this is what I need to clear the haze:

Lucas Oil Slick Mist is a polymer paint gloss intensifier, which can be used on other surfaces such as glass, chrome and vinyl decals. Use Slick Mist as a traditional wax, quick detail spray or spray it on your vehicle between rinsing and drying for the easiest polish job ever. That's right! Just spray it on a wet or dry surface and wipe it off. Slick Mist out-performs the competition and will leave your finish slicker and shinier than any product on the market, with long lasting protection. You and Slick Mist can give any machine an extreme gloss fast!

• Premium paint gloss intensifier.
  • Great for motorcycles, cars, trucks, boats, and airplanes.
  • Shines and protects in one easy application.
  • Excellent results on chrome, glass and vinyl decals.
  • Use on wet or dry surfaces.
  • Quick and easy.
  • Ease of application.

You could probably use a headlight restorer kit from the auto parts store. I would just use the finest pads and the polishing compound. Try it in a corner first before you get to the important parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-HRK-BX-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/dp/B00429NKWK

Edited by N201MKTurbo