any help would be appreciated

jeremyd

I have a older mark 21 I inherited, it has sit for many years, would need a good restoration, and is in Northern Arizona, Looking for assistance in selling it, what it would be valued at, and how to best go about moving this plane, sorry if this isn't the forum for such a question. I am not a pilot, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I can be reached at 928-202-1866 also.  

20180728_112547.jpg

Is that Cottenwood?

You should get an annual from a local mechanic, otherwise you will need to get a ferry permit to move it anywhere. 

Either way you will have to determine if it safe to fly before it can be ferried. 

You are lucky it has been idle in Arizona. Most of the things people are concerned about with an idle airplane just don’t happen in Arizona. We have our own issues, but they tend to affect the cheaper parts.

I can help if you need the plane moved. I live in Tempe.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard this is a good place to learn.   You will get a lot of folks downgrading the plane and that may very well be warranted.

The plane is a 65 C model.  The registration N5800Q is currently expired and canceled since June of 2017.  So this is one hurdle to overcome when selling or moving the plane.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx

FAA we site for registration.

You say it has sat for a while How long?

Has it been on the ramp outside or in a hangar?

Do yo have the log books?

How much is it worth that will depend largely on who you talk to but don't expect too much from it.  It may not be worth much more that it's scrap metal value.

Provide more photos of the inside would be of assistance.

You say you inherited it from who?  Was it your father, uncle ??

You might want to get a licensed FAA mechanic, Air frame and power plant with inspection authority (A&P / IA) to do a cursory look of the log books and the air frame for 2 maybe 3 hours max at his normal shop rate of probably $75 to $100 an hour.  He can help you in person to learn a little more about these wonderful planes and what this one maybe worth.  A lot will depend on the condition of the air frame.  These engines don't like to sit around for long periods of time with out being used. 

Other members will start chiming in with all ranges of advice.

Maybe you should look at this a as an omen and learn to fly and become a pilot.

• Like 2

I has set for 2 decades un-hangered, it is in rough shape to say the least, what is the condition "ferryable" mean? sorry is that on a trailer with wings off?  No rust, or corrosion it seems, but so out of annual it would need a " white sheet" build from ground up I  would guess. I am currently just trying to make up the tie down fines it has incurred sitting there.  working on log book.  What is easiest way to scrap an airplane, that doesn't involve me physically out at the airport with a saws-all. Thanks for all the responses!

An annual is going to cost $1000s, maybe more than $10000, given the neglect, you have trouble recouping that $. We have someone on this board that scraps old planes for a living, he might have some insight. How much does the outstanding airport fees add up to?
I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think you can’t be held responsible for debts associated with inherited property, assuming you just inherited it. If that’s the case, call the FBO, tell them the owner died, and plane is theirs.

I has set for 2 decades un-hangered, it is in rough shape to say the least, what is the condition "ferryable" mean? sorry is that on a trailer with wings off?  No rust, or corrosion it seems, but so out of annual it would need a " white sheet" build from ground up I  would guess. I am currently just trying to make up the tie down fines it has incurred sitting there.  working on log book.  What is easiest way to scrap an airplane, that doesn't involve me physically out at the airport with a saws-all. Thanks for all the responses!

PM Alan Fox on this site. He can help you with the scrapping discussion. Unfortunately she looks pretty far gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, jeremyd said:

8k is owed in tiedowns, as of this month, but that is somewhat negotiable as they just want it gone. 

Given that I tell them you don’t  want to take ownership of the plane, I make up a bill of sale, give them the plane, they may be able to recoup some of the 8k .

• Like 5

An annual is going to cost $1000s, maybe more than $10000, given the neglect, you have trouble recouping that $. We have someone on this board that scraps old planes for a living, he might have some insight. How much does the outstanding airport fees add up to?
I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think you can’t be held responsible for debts associated with inherited property, assuming you just inherited it. If that’s the case, call the FBO, tell them the owner died, and plane is theirs.

I'm not an AZ lawyer but there's probably a lien on the aircraft ...

OP, have you tried talking to the airport folks? They may be sympathetic, willing to wipe some or all the fines to free up a tiedown or at least get rid of an eyesore... As long as they know you're working on getting it gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jeremyd said:

Ferryable means that it can be flown for a limited time and distance to move it for additional work.  It requires a "Ferry Permit" and the plane is made airworthy enough for the trip.  As others have said a complete annual will likely run multi-thousands of dollars if the plane can be made flyable again.  After sitting this long in the sun there can be both engine, fuel tank, and control surface damage that will cost more than the airplane is worth.  Unfortunately looking at the outside also indicates that the interior and panel are likely damaged and dated.  I purchased a plane in much better condition a few years ago that had sat for only a few years and most of that in a hangar, I spent about $10,000 to get it flying.  It was worth twice what the C is worth so it was economical to do.  

I hate to see a Mooney die, but this one is not likely to fly again unless you can get the Airport to wave the fees and you can give it to someone local that just wants a project.  

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Perhaps a donation to a local maintenance school would be a fitting life for this one.

Clarence

Cochise College in Douglas, AZ (http://www.cochise.edu/cfiles/files/catalog/web/2011-2012 Catalog/aviation-maintenance-technology.htm)  is the 141 school I went to; they may take it if the FBO will waive fees...could probably get a tax writeoff for it. Also, it would be nice to graduate more mooney-savvy A&P mechanics. Push comes to shove, I bet the FBO would write off the tie down fees as bad debt to get it off their ramp...vs the plane becoming their problem.   If you can get them to agree to do that if you donate the plane to a tax exempt organization, you may be able to take writeff. YMMV, ask a local attorney/CPA, but there may be lemonade to be made. 

• Like 1

i'd guess the airport has a lien on the plane for the tie-down fees, I'd just let them take it. Notify the owner is deceased and your the POA and can transfer the plane to them, I'm sure they don't want it and will muscle you to pay, after providing them with the info I would then disregard there efforts trying to get you to pay. There is a similar issue with a plane here at Wilm airport, the FAA put a sticker on the windshield saying not airworthy, since the airport has been notified and the place providing the tie downs has been notified the plane is still sitting there with weeds growing throughout the plane, a shameful sight. Wash your hands and run. As far as the donation depends on how you received the plane whether you would get a donation that's would past the IRS test. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeremyd said:

Jerry to the rescue, thanks man, also no lien as of yet, so should be able to settle up with them for a small portion if any given the plane will be gone. this site saved my a$$. thanks for all the advice. 

I appreciate your attitude. It really is a sad state of the world, when what should be a valuable asset, isn't able to generate any way to pay some back rent, and yield a decent value to the owner. But we are in a "what is" situation rather than a "what we wish was" world. 

• Like 1

Just curious......  Why would anyone, even a non-pilot with no interest in aviation let an aircraft sit on the ramp to rot away.  Too bad!  There are lots of interested "want to be"... and existing pilots who would have really appreciated that gift as an inheritance!  What a pitty!

Rick

• Like 1