L41 Marble canyon

ragedracer1977

Driven by this field many times on my way to hunt the Kaibab Plateau.  As far as I know, this is the only airport where you can fly over the Grand canyon below 3000' AGL. Its not much of a canyon, but it is the very beginning of the G.C.  35'x3700' runway. With a dog leg. And literally uphill both ways.  The first about 1000' of runway 3 are very rough. Not that the rest is better, but landing long is advised.  The views are stunning.  

Also, I'm probably famous in Japan now.  As I was on downwind, I saw a van pull over and people pile out.  After landing and taxiing to "parking", there was a crowd of about 15 tourists taking photos.  We worked out that they wanted to get closer, so I brought them over and let them look in and get close ups and stuff. And then I ended up in a group photo in front of the plane.  It was a neat experience.

20180728_125055.jpg

20180728_124532.jpg

20180728_115559.jpg

20180728_114504(0).jpg

20180728_113342.jpg

• Like 3