Abilene, TX: PIREP Request

Hey all,

My trip from Atlanta to Tucson is coming up in just a week and a half (Aug 10-ish) and I’ve been looking at places I may want to stop for an afternoon or night, depending on WX or just a general desire to see something new. Abilene is just off my route, looks to have good gas prices and seems like an interesting town on TripAdvisor.  Any “gotta have” BBQ or TexMex recommendations? Other cool things to do that would make it a worthwhile stop? Would love to hear all opinions, or recommendations for another stop in the general vicinity.

Thx!

If you want to go a little South of your route, Llano TX is a good option (KAQO).  Fuel is $3.99 and Cooper's BBQ keeps a couple vans at the airport incase anyone wants to drive in a couple miles for some great BBQ.

https://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/pilots-adventures-more/gear-taking-hill-country-spin

If you flew perfectly direct from KATL - KTUS it's 1339nm. To go to Llano  it's 1379nm but the $3.99 gas might be worth it. 

IMG_0946.thumb.jpg.e66fb4711a99772592e4b01aacc9c92f.jpg

Perini Ranch steakhouse about 10 miles south of Abilene is excellent choice for BBQ.   Sharon’s BBQ or Lytle Land Cattle Co. are good choices just down the street from airport.  I’m located about 30 miles north at F56.  Small town and airport so not much on activity side for you here but I can set you up with low fuel prices (my buddies and I own it) and hanger space if you need and loan car.  Let me know if I can help with anything - three two five three seven zero seven nine eight six. 

Stephenville, TX is near by. When I was based out of Abilene, I would fly there. They have golf carts you take down a dirt path, park at an Armoury, then walk across the highway to Hard 8 bbq. Back then it was free beer and beans, and really good bbq.

Edited by b65cuda

Yes “Hard Eight” at Stephenville is a good choice.  Golf carts are gone - story is joy riders took them and caused damage so now none of us get to use them.   It’s a short walk or a phone call to them and they will come get you. 

Big fan of Hard 8 at Stephenville.  Easy walk to the restaurant.  When the golf carts were there, I was always happiest when I took the golf cart to the the restaurant, then someone else drove it back.  After filling up on BBQ a walk back to the airport was preferable to riding!!!

On 7/30/2018 at 10:31 PM, Southernpilot said:

You can’t loose with Cooper’s. Not much else to do in town though.

I'm not a fan of Coopers.  Heresy I know... I'm okay with that :).

14 minutes ago, smccray said:

Big fan of Hard 8 at Stephenville.  Easy walk to the restaurant.  When the golf carts were there, I was always happiest when I took the golf cart to the the restaurant, then someone else drove it back.  After filling up on BBQ a walk back to the airport was preferable to riding!!!

I'm not a fan of Coopers.  Heresy I know... I'm okay with that :).

Sadly, I agree that as far as Texas BBQ goes, Coopers isn't my favorite place (the BBQ sauce is more of a vinegar based, although the smoke is good). If we keep walking you off your route a bit, the best BBQ I've ever had is at Driftwood near Austin at a place called Salt Lick (http://saltlickbbq.com/driftwood-menu/). It's certainly further south, but you'd have the benefit of amazing BBQ, and you could spend the night in Austin and listen to some great live music with plenty to do. Or head down to San Antonio and see the sights there. 

The hill country is beautiful and great BBQ or Tex Mex all over.

Hey folks. Thanks for the tips...I'll definitely consider them all!  I did spend some time at the factory last year when I was in San Antonio for a conference, so I've checked that one off my list.

So, I ended having to dodge weather all the way across Texas so my route didn’t allow me to try any of these places. Good thing I packed a couple of sandwiches. Although I will give props to Gainesville, TX (KGLE) for a friendly FBO and cheap gas.  It was a bit bumpy in West Texas and into Arizona but tolerable. Fun descent down into Tucson valley.

4BFEEAEF-59A1-4EC6-9388-06C1AB827621.jpeg

• Like 3