Not sure how to proceed

41 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

That is just it, I had the discussion I had all my ducks in a row and all the right people involved. That company closed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Bummer. Couldn't you contact A&P from the shop so he could do it privately?

Some 10 years ago my IA had to close his shop but all these years he was willing to do owner assist annuals (and maintenance) in my hangar, check my work and sign it all. It can be hard to find someone new to do that...

Good luck.

• Like 1

The STC is open for the unit and it’s installed so you need an IA to basically fill out a 337 that either he installed or found installed G530W and it was installed IAW the installation manual and include a garmin STC packet in the POH in the aircraft records then you’ll be good to go. 

5 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The STC is open for the unit and it’s installed so you need an IA to basically fill out a 337 that either he installed or found installed G530W and it was installed IAW the installation manual and include a garmin STC packet in the POH in the aircraft records then you’ll be good to go. 

You need to bite the bullet , and have the local Avionics shop do a conformity inspection...Yes it will be expensive ,   The Garmin STC is not airframe specific , and they don't enforce it ,  It can also be done as a major , using the STC as approved data..... But the feds are involved , water under the bridge..... As far as a ferry permit is concerned , Coms and GPS are not required equipment ,   Remove it , apply for the ferry permit to get it to a place that can straighten it out , and fly it with a handheld.....

You need to bite the bullet , and have the local Avionics shop do a conformity inspection...Yes it will be expensive ,   The Garmin STC is not airframe specific , and they don't enforce it ,  It can also be done as a major , using the STC as approved data..... But the feds are involved , water under the bridge..... As far as a ferry permit is concerned , Coms and GPS are not required equipment ,   Remove it , apply for the ferry permit to get it to a place that can straighten it out , and fly it with a handheld.....
That seems to be the only way out. New annual and radio install without the install. Looks like just north of 4500.

Just now, Dream to fly said:

That seems to be the only way out. New annual and radio install without the install. Looks like just north of 4500.

When I say remove it , I mean pull the breaker , and leave in the tray.....Conformity wont be the full cost of an install..

When I say remove it , I mean pull the breaker , and leave in the tray.....Conformity wont be the full cost of an install..
That's what I was going to do. The job is done but the price is the price. They are not going to undo what I did. It's done right just they didn't do it. I used fast stack and the wiring and install are done.

Hate to hear this all happened to you, but glad to hear it before I took off down this route.  I did avionics on F-18s in the Marine Corps so I konw how to build and repair aircraft wiring.  Plus after seeing the work of my local avionics shop, I'm much much more comforatable with my work than what they did to my plane.  I was going to buy all of my parts and assemble them on a bench at the house, build the harnesses and test the equiepment and wiring.  After that get my A&P to help me do the physical install in the plane.  He has always been good with me helping on the electrical work in my plane.  The most important thing for me is having an IFR rated GPS.  After reading about your pain, I may just bit the bullet and go the shop route. 

The key thing here is having a radio/instrument guy you can work with...

Build those relationships... ask rather tough questions in advance...

Or after the fact, in this case...

How much time would it take to verify each wire?

One minute per wire?

Its going to take some time... measured in hours...

Visit a couple of shops...

perfect the wording of your question...

’I bought this plane...

It came with this radio installed...

Seems like everything is order...

How do I verify it is installed properly and meets all legal challenges...

Is that work something your shop does...

how much will it cost and time to complete, please quote...

If they look in and in a few minutes point out all the connections are done differently than standards... that is the risk you have by doing this yourself...

If you used all the right materials and followed the proper procedures, how much risk is there...?

When flying in IMC you want to know if There is something in the wiring that can be perfected prior to use...

Kind of a quality / qualification step...

PP thoughts only, the experience comes from installing equipment in the FDA environment... one guy does the wiring, the next guy does the inspection/verification... the third guy runs the machine through every step...

In the end, you have it wired the way you want, and tested and documented properly for the real world of IMC...

Get something you can rely on.

Pp thoughts only, not a wiring technician...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I stand corrected!  Learn something new every day..

Airworthiness has little to do with the state of the aircraft or the quality of the work done on it. It is all about the paperwork.

When I was getting all those new licensees a couple of years ago every check ride required that I prove the airplane was airworthy. It didn't involve looking at the plane!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

That is just it, I had the discussion I had all my ducks in a row and all the right people involved. That company closed.

@Dream to fly check your PMs in a few minutes.  I installed a 430W myself and I’ll walk you trough the paperwork you need. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

He doesn't need a conformity inspection.  This isn't a MIDO issue.  A DAR can't help him.  He needs to document that the design change was to FAA approved source data.   I gave him the cheapest path out of his dilemma.  He doesn't want to use the source data because he does have the right to use Garmin proprietary data.  I guess he needs to pay Garmin to use the data.  Then he can follow the path.  

Edited by tony

i told you before you dont need Garmin's permission and you dont need to pay them. it is an open STC.  You can get the documents for free.  all you need is an IA or repair station signature it was installed IAW the installation manual and AC 43.13..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

He's still illegal doing that because no one updated the weight and balance.  

Just now, jetdriven said:

i told you before you dont need Garmin's permission and you dont need to pay them. it is an open STC.  You can get the documents for free.  all you need is an IA or repair station signature it was installed IAW the installation manual and AC 43.13..

I agree 100 percent.

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Airworthiness has little to do with the state of the aircraft or the quality of the work done on it. It is all about the paperwork.

When I was getting all those new licensees a couple of years ago every check ride required that I prove the airplane was airworthy. It didn't involve looking at the plane!

And a PPL, the minimum license to carry passengers and who needs zero mechanical experience, is the guy that actually sees the airplane and has the authority to determine whether it is airworthy.

It's a pretty quirky system.  There's logic to it, it's just quirky.