TSIO-360 Alternator Bracket

Bryan

I have TSIO-360-SB engine with dual alternators.  During my trip to Oshkosh, I discovered my belt-driven alternator had failed.  After taking a look under the cowl, hoping for a broken belt, it appears that a bracket has broken.  Attached is a picture of the broken part.

Upon further searching the TCM online Illustrated Parts Catalog, it appears that the part broken is either:

• TCM 649285 : Bracket - Alternator, Rear
    or...
  • TCM 653374 : Bracket- Alternator, Front

I cannot tell from the picture which is which because the the IPC exploded parts view with item numbers do not match the Item# in the legend. (parts drawing view).  The part I am needing is Item #52 in the drawing.  It is either one of the two parts listed above - unsure which is the Front vs. Rear.

In either case, I searched these part numbers online and they are $2800 and $1800+ respectfully.   Really!!!, a bracket made of metal on a TCM engine cost 2-3 AMU?

Any idea where I can source the part elsewhere?     I am even thinking of an owner produced part.  A local shop has a waterjet machine.

IMG_1751.jpg

It can be welded. Much cheaper solution. But, you still have to remove it. Good time to do a lot of other maintenance back there. Mags, #1 alternator, etc. 

Is there is any slipping on the starter adapter, good time to pull that as well. 

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the adapter has to come off though. It looks like two bolts have to come off securing the bracket and adapter but without pulling the adapter.I haven't had to get at the rear bracket before, but I have pulled the entire cover off that holds the front bracket to reseal it with silk thread and sealant before - all in situ. Its a common oil leak. Which is not easy given the clearances. Anyway, just suggesting it may not need to be so drastic to get too. But even without pulling the adapter, one might need to pull the right mags as well to get to the starter adapter bottom bolt that holds the bottom bracket.. If the adapter does have to come out anyway, besides mags, it  also requires pulling the intercooler, starter and vacuum pump which is why I would trying for the less drastic option first if at all possible.

Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I have TSIO-360-SB engine with dual alternators.  During my trip to Oshkosh, I discovered my belt-driven alternator had failed.  After taking a look under the cowl, hoping for a broken belt, it appears that a bracket has broken.  Attached is a picture of the broken part.

Upon further searching the TCM online Illustrated Parts Catalog, it appears that the part broken is either:

or...

I cannot tell from the picture which is which because the the IPC exploded parts view with item numbers do not match the Item# in the legend. (parts drawing view).  The part I am needing is Item #52 in the drawing.  It is either one of the two parts listed above - unsure which is the Front vs. Rear.

In either case, I searched these part numbers online and they are $2800 and $1800+ respectfully.   Really!!!, a bracket made of metal on a TCM engine cost 2-3 AMU?

Any idea where I can source the part elsewhere?     I am even thinking of an owner produced part.  A local shop has a waterjet machine.

IMG_1751.jpg

Hopefully yours can be repaired (welded). If you google aircraft welding you'll come up with some shops that do it.

If you end up having to go new I'll be happy to pass on my Aircraft Spruce discount. Since it's a non-stocking part it's probably drop-shipped from Continental.

7060916_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_41_27PM.thumb.png.84ee96f96895a55d1bce3e1ca7e85820.png

• 2 years later...
On 7/30/2018 at 8:38 PM, Bryan said:

or...

IMG_1751.jpg

What did you end up doing to get this fix?