in flight tracking and two way communication

flumag

I'm still looking for an alternative for my Spot3 (interference with WAAS GPS).

right now I'm looking at the following options:

Garmin InReach mini ($350 plus subscription)

King Bendix Text and Track ($399 plus subscription)

Both supporting 2 way communication. The SpotX I ruled out due too the interference and usability (keyboard, font) of the SpotX devices. Does anyone have real world experience of the InRech or the Text and Track? InReach and King Bendix are Iridium based. The King Bendix also features an external antenna what could increase the usability in Mooneys.

Also some METAR request could be sent.

I found also the different subscription approach very interesting. Se the inReach below. I could find anything on the King Bendix

thanks Hendrik

image.png

image.png

image.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 21.40.06.png

I have an InReach, but not the mini.  I hate it.  It's probably ok in an emergency as a standalone device (SOS button), but not for 2 way communication (i.e. communicate your ETA).  Reasons listed below:

1. Messages sporadically don't go out...especially if missing country code when you enter the recipient.
  2. Extremely buggy integration with Garmin Pilot
    1. There's a bug that will completely crash Garmin Pilot and will not allow it to re-open.  This will render your device useless in the air unless you know the trick (which is to go into Settings > Privacy > and disallow Garmin Pilot from accessing your contacts).  This bricked my EFB in-flight multiple times (had to uninstall and reinstall back on the ground) before I figured out what was going on.  After a tedious trial and error process of deleting contacts one at a time, I finally discovered that I either I had a problematic contact (or too many overall contacts) that caused this problem.  I reported this problem to Garmin over a year ago and never heard back.
    2. You can't send messages at all in Garmin Pilot.  They get stuck in "Sending..." and never go out.
  3. Good luck sending a message from the device itself.  Remember how painful text messages were before iOS or even blackberry?  Yeah, it's even worse.  Think typing your password with a remote with only arrows (i.e. Apple TV, Roku, etc).  Huge distraction if you want to try to communicate an ETA in flight.
  4. Many other usability issues...primarily, no setting for auto power-on/off with ship power.  This means that you're manually turning it on (and hopefully remembering to turn it off) every time that you use it.  Not a deal breaker, but for a ~$400+ device, there should be some attention to the details.

The only good thing that I will say is that I am on the $14/mo Freedom Plan, and that's definitely the way to go.  You can cancel/activate as you see fit.

Unless someone else can vouch for another device (maybe the mini is better?), I'd say save your money until something better comes along.

I think it all depends on what your objective is.  I like to let my family know when I'm traveling and when I expect to get places.  Most of the time the cell phone and text messaging work well.  If you are in the air, then FlightAware (as creepy as it is) can provide real time updates.  If something unexpected or unfortunate happens, then hopefully I will be conscious enough to use my InReach.  I've never thought of trying it in the air but can do so the next time I fly.  Sometimes I do a longer bicycle ride and am out of cell phone coverage so I am able to send one of the three "pre-configured" messages for free.  I figure if there was a real life emergency, then I can use the SOS feature.  If it's not life threatening but I need to pass on more details, then I can pay the 50 cents per text to get my point across.  It's a great backup and I would definitely recommend every pilot have something like that or Spot to provide emergency communication.  As far as real time tracking in the air or even sending location updates, I will have to experiment further.

You could pre-arrange altitude codes with family to send messages with your altitude via FlightAware--

"If I'm flying at 7,000 feet, I'll be there early"

"If I'm flying at 8,000 feet, I'll be there late"

"If I'm flying at 9,000 feet, I'll be on time"

Then see if ATC will help you out :D

• Like 1

Was looking at one of these once upon a time for utilization in a drone application to relay simple navigation command and control strings.  Do not have any PIREPS on it, but it seems fairly cheap compared to others out there. The suspension service is also nice. 

https://newatlas.com/text-anywhere-satellite-messaging/28632/

I’ve been using an Airtext LT for a few weeks.  It is designed specifically for aviation use and has in addition to text messaging for multiple users, ATIS weather, and tracking. 

Airtext Web Site

Airtext uses the Iridium satellite system.  A small antenna placed on the glare shield is adequate or an external antenna can be installed on the top of your airplane.  

The Airtext LT is about $5,000.  Subscription prices are similar to other Iridium text packages.  

The original Iridium satellites were launched 20 years ago.  A major upgrade is underway called Iridium Next.  Most of that 66 satellite constellation is already up; the most recent batch was successfully launched last week. 

The Next birds support all existing Iridium equipment and add higher speed modes that should become publicly operational in 2019.  

You could also have a look at the Golze ADL devices (http://www.ing-golze.de/). They are made for European light GA and are the only cost effective way to get weather in the cockpit here as we don't have ADS-B weather. However they can also send tracking messages and SMS messages which you can type easily through an iPad app. They may be useful and cost-effective for that purpose alone. Not sure whether Sebastian would sell them to US customers his billing relies on the European direct debit banking service SEPA buy its worth asking.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 7:10 PM, Antares said:

I love the Inreach. I use the Earthmate app with it

+1

We got the InReach several years ago for SOS primarily.  Some peace of mind flying over remote areas, wilderness camping trips, or cycling out of cell phone range.  Somewhat tedious to send SMS on the unit itself, but functional for intermittent use.  I’ve not tried (or needed) to use it while flying.  If we had an inflight emergency out of radar or comm range I’d switch on my 406 ELT.

Using the Earthmate app is easier for texting. Probably doesn’t apply to many prople, but Earthmate (GPS enabled) is also useful for finding portage routes in wilderness areas using the included topo maps.

GPS accuracy and sensitivity even under tree canopies is very impressive.  Iridium satellite reception is spotty under canopies, but excellent in even a small clearing.

We also use it outside of North America.  I make sure that my contact list includes country code, and have never had a failed SMS.  I have the email addresses included in the contacts, so there’s 2 ways to reach someone. The Inreach can send a text or email or both.