AirVenture followup - vintage bladders

We flew home non stop OSH-MRN - 657 nm today, just under five hours. (Modest forecast tail wind were actually modest headwinds.) The trip up to MSN to join the Caravan was 5:00 with 30 kts on the nose most of the way. We used 45.5 gallons on both legs so without the extended bladders that we installed in January both legs would have required a fuel stop instead of arriving with 2 hours of reserve.  

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

We flew home non stop OSH-MRN - 657 nm today, just under five hours. (Modest forecast tail wind were actually modest headwinds.) The trip up to MSN to join the Caravan was 5:00 with 30 kts on the nose most of the way. We used 45.5 gallons on both legs so without the extended bladders that we installed in January both legs would have required a fuel stop instead of arriving with 2 hours of reserve.  

Glad to hear you and Nancy arrived back home safely.  

• Like 1

Great, I couldn’t agree more Bob, the extended range tanks were my first upgrade 12 years, I still feel it was the best upgrade available. Hopefully see you in MHT, I didn’t do well at OSH.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Nice flight and good use of your new bladders for sure!  Btw I was watching an Oshkosh webcam a few days ago and your mooney was front and center for about 10 min. very cool!

Got a link Kris? An AirVenture video reporter came by during the Saturday airshow, loved the Mooney and said he'd be back Sunday morning to get some video of it. We left about 9:30 and figured we'd missed him but he might have been there earlier.

18 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Pretty sure it was the LIve webcam covering the Vintage section on Friday afternoon (I believe).  I've looked a bit but I don't see that it is archived. 

Thanks, that makes sense, it was the streaming guy that I talked to. I've spent 30 minutes searching for video archives without much luck. If folks have links to the Caravan arrival and other Mooney footage please post a link!

• Like 1

Thanks, that makes sense, it was the streaming guy that I talked to. I've spent 30 minutes searching for video archives without much luck. If folks have links to the Caravan arrival and other Mooney footage please post a link!

The team that video’d it - courtesy of our new colleague who announced the arrival - said they’d post it once edited over the weekend. I will get it to all Caravaners once released.
  • Like 1

Here’s my flight home from Oshkosh about 1:45 in.  Modest tailwind about 5-6 kts. Absurd efficiency. Little one needed a potty break nonetheless so we picked up some gas as well - happy to have gotten some gas as we did we had to do a bunch of pinball around buildups around the mountains and I didn’t want to think about cutting into my personal 2 hr reserve. That said I could have pulled it back even more and loitered all day up there. . 

EFE50654-9085-4BCE-89BF-59DE1D46AC80.jpeg

2 minutes ago, bradp said:

Here’s my flight home from Oshkosh about 1:45 in.  Modest tailwind about 5-6 kts. Absurd efficiency. Little one needed a potty break nonetheless so we picked up some gas as well - happy to have gotten some gas as we did we had to do a bunch of pinball around buildups around the mountains and I didn’t want to think about cutting into my personal 2 hr reserve. That said I could have pulled it back even more and loitered all day up there. . 

A minor point, but I am curious.  Is that fuel economy actually nm/gal, so 15% better than MPG when discussing car economies.  Or does the JPI convert to statute miles for that number?

-dan

4 hours ago, Dan at FUL said:

A minor point, but I am curious.  Is that fuel economy actually nm/gal, so 15% better than MPG when discussing car economies.  Or does the JPI convert to statute miles for that number?

-dan

154 kts / 7.8 gph = 19.74  which matches the GPS EFF so allowing for rounded off displays the JPI's 19.9 is almost certainly (N)MPG. 

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

154 kts / 7.8 gph = 19.74  which matches the GPS EFF so allowing for rounded off displays the JPI's 19.9 is almost certainly (N)MPG. 

<Head smack> The information was on the same screen to answer it myself...

• Haha 3