Under attack

It's ironic but when we aren't having massive fires Lake County has the cleanest / clearest air in the state. On moonless nights you see so much of space and stars it's amazing very little light pollution I have seen the Milky Way so clearly you would swear you could reach out and touch it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

It's ironic but when we aren't having massive fires Lake County has the cleanest / clearest air in the state. On moonless nights you see so much of space and stars it's amazing very little light pollution I have seen the Milky Way so clearly you would swear you could reach out and touch it.

Believe it or not - here in way upstate ny we get a great astronomical sky Milky Way and all.  In fact my university keeps its observatory on the airport grounds.

and we get aurora borealis in the winter. But that only happens on extra cold nights if you want to brave -35 to see it! (Notice I didn’t bother with the temp units).

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I stopped watching national news for a lot of reasons.  A big factor was hearing about fires or mudslides in California.  I kept waiting for a news report where anchor said: “This just in, there are no negative climate events occurring on the West coast”.  That report never came...

Endeavor to persevere...

Meanwhile local news last night said: “An acre of corn releases up to 1000 gallons of water a day”. It is a tad humid in Iowa....

No shit.

I once stopped for fuel in Iowa.. turns out the airport was a big crop dusters refueling operation / very busy.  And very hot and humid indeed!

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I once stopped for fuel in Iowa.. turns out the airport was a big crop dusters refueling operation / very busy.  And very hot and humid indeed!

My A & P has a bunch of crop dusters every year.  He just commented that he has a bunch of July annuals and wished more had February like ours.  I don’t understand why anyone would have their annual in prime flying season?  I guess ‘cause it is prime buying season too?  : )

Crop dusters are so fun to watch.  I always pull over and spend a phone call or two (when on the road) watching them do their thing.  Massive planes.  Pilots appear very skilled.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Believe it or not - here in way upstate ny we get a great astronomical sky Milky Way and all.  In fact my university keeps its observatory on the airport grounds.

and we get aurora borealis in the winter. But that only happens on extra cold nights if you want to brave -35 to see it! (Notice I didn’t bother with the temp units).

Sky is also amazing in Northern Wisconsin at my in laws cottages.  Favorite activity is star gazing (or is that Scotch and Cigar while star gazing). All three I guess.  Bonus points if a plane flys final on 32 for a night landing over cottages!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Hoping for a return to normalcy soon.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

My A & P has a bunch of crop dusters every year.  He just commented that he has a bunch of July annuals and wished more had February like ours.  I don’t understand why anyone would have their annual in prime flying season?  I guess ‘cause it is prime buying season too?  : )

Crop dusters are so fun to watch.  I always pull over and spend a phone call or two (when on the road) watching them do their thing.  Massive planes.  Pilots appear very skilled.

They are big planes!  I had never seen a row of those big turbo prop crop dusters on a flight line before. It was very cool.

My buddy and I got crop dusted once on a bike ride near Davis California when like 25 years ago.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bonal said:

That's because it's all down by me. I can't see crap! You're welcome... ;)

I am sorry that you have to go through the drama though. Last year was my year with my parents repeated evacuations in So Cal.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Yep we had the same situation in th UK recently on the moors.  Even set fire to the peat which is supposed to be wet and thus fire proof.  Now we have Police CCTV pics all over the media saying "we want to speak to this guy". 

Night Sky:

Back in 2006 I moved to a little island in the Bay of Honduras (Roatan).

I had a house on the North shore at Palmetto Bay. The power to the island was run on generators and electricity was intermittent at best.  At night the world was so dark the sky looked like a blanket of stars.  It was as though you could reach out and touch them. I miss that.  Way too much light pollution and we miss out on the beauty of the universe.

• Like 4