Under attack

I am going out of my mind, living in California all my life but the past few years seems as though fire season has turned into a war zone as two more fires have come into Lake county after we had a big one just a few weeks ago. This is getting really stupid. It's no longer a matter of if or even when but just where. Our annual is scheduled for next week but likely will be delayed because Lampson Field is inaccessible as it is within a precautionary evacuation zone.  Just a heads up if anyone is planning on K1o2 TFR and no access. 

God I can't wait for winter 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, bonal said:

I am going out of my mind, living in California all my life but the past few years seems as though fire season has turned into a war zone as two more fires have come into Lake county after we had a big one just a few weeks ago. This is getting really stupid. It's no longer a matter of if or even when but just where. Our annual is scheduled for next week but likely will be delayed because Lampson Field is inaccessible as it is within a precautionary evacuation zone.  Just a heads up if anyone is planning on K1o2 TFR and no access. 

God I can't wait for winter 

Where are you located?

its all very dramatic and worrisome the fires we are seeing on tv.  All best wishes!!!

• Like 1

Thanks, let's just say too close for comfort. Just returned from Bay Area as we were down to take care of Mom so my sister and her husband could take a break and visit their son back east the only thing other than clothes and such that I packed was my log books and the keys to the Mooney.

image.jpeg

Edited by bonal
  • Sad 3

Concider spruce creek airport Florida. Over 500 airplanes, no state income tax, less expensive gas and palm trees. House purchase price half off California. A beach that you can actually swim in. Airplane noise is welcomed. 

An occasional hurricane but my friends who have been there for over 20 years have never had major damage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My family and I evacuated from Lakeport due to the fires. My two aircraft, including a M20J I just bought (transaction closed on Friday, around the same time the fires started), are at Lampson Field, only a mile or two from the advancing fire. My in-laws and a bunch of my close friends have their homes within a half mile of that airport. Everyone's out and safe for now, but my wife is utterly devastated at the likelihood of losing her childhood home. There's nothing we can do but sit back and wait.

• Sad 1

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, Jim Peace said:

An occasional hurricane but my friends who have been there for over 20 years have never had major damage. 

Yeah, but you pay hurricane insurance through the nose, and putting shutters (on a second floor) is getting old after few years. :o

BTDT.

32 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The big difference between Florida and California... bugs. The weather is great in Florida, but the bugs will keep you inside instead of out enjoying it.

I used to visit my grandfather in Miami - actually Hollywood, FL, and I always hated the weather in the summer when I visited him.  So hot and humid!!!!  He had one of those neon bug zappers too ... bzzzzzt.   BZZZT!  I was a kid and I thought that thing was cool.  Every now and then it would zap a really big bug BZZZZTTZZZTTTZZZZT!!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The weather is great in Florida

I disagree.  I lived there for 6 years.  I never once described the weather as nice.  There is a occasional time that the weather is not as bad.

• Haha 4

flew over Norcal and south Oregon a couple days back. Redding was starting to get bad, but Grant pass was in a class of its own. visibility about 2 and a half miles for over hundred miles of flying. smoke all the way up to 8000 ft. would not want to be living there now.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

flew over Norcal and south Oregon a couple days back. Redding was starting to get bad, but Grant pass was in a class of its own. visibility about 2 and a half miles for over hundred miles of flying. smoke all the way up to 8000 ft. would not want to be living there now.

I used to live there... and with 100+ degrees for days in Austin... kinda wish I still did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Yeah, but you pay hurricane insurance through the nose, and putting shutters (on a second floor) is getting old after few years. :o

BTDT.

I just closed today on my single story house and on a 420k value the total premium is about 1700 with a 500 deductible for hurricane.

I have the shutters that stay on permanently to the side and you can't even notice them.  Key is one story though.

Hang in there Bonal! 

A good friend is looking at property near  Sabastopol. Each fire seems to be worse.

im in Grand Junction Colorado today. The winds shifted last night and smoke blew back into the valley. At the airport here, the little turbine Seats were working hard. Talked with one of the pilots, their PC-12s now have IR and can pick up a  cigarette when flying over and a tree at 20mi. 

Really wild!

As for FL, in laws are in Tampa. I don’t know how anyone flys in the summer there. The unknowns with pop up cells are surprising. And it’s too sticky in the cabin.

-Matt

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MB65E said:

Hang in there Bonal! 

A good friend is looking at property near  Sabastopol. Each fire seems to be worse.

im in Grand Junction Colorado today. The winds shifted last night and smoke blew back into the valley. At the airport here, the little turbine Seats were working hard. Talked with one of the pilots, their PC-12s now have IR and can pick up a  cigarette when flying over and a tree at 20mi. 

Really wild!

As for FL, in laws are in Tampa. I don’t know how anyone flys in the summer there. The unknowns with pop up cells are surprising. And it’s too sticky in the cabin.

-Matt

You don't fly IFR in the summertime in Florida. The trick is to have a cool scoop in the window and get to 4000ft as quickly as possible. 

21 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Just saw on FB that LASAR might be in the cross hairs

The good news here is that listening to radio traffic on a scanner web site to all the fire fighting efforts we are pretty sure they are using Lampson as one of the bases of operations.  when we suffered the valley fire a few years ago they based the helicopters there, would be very unlikely any damage would occur at the airport. Plus Lampson is mostly surrounded by flat terrain vineyards  so very defensible. The fire fighters are working real hard to defend homes and structures amazingly there has only been 7 homes lost so far. Unfortunately one of them is a friend of ours and in fact he used to be a mechanic at LASAR. He and his wife got out safely. All we can do is wait and hope things improve.

Edited by bonal
  • Like 1

We are finding that Smokey Bear was wrong.  There is lots of loading that has been building up for years.   Fire is part of nature and we have been stopping it.    This was a good read. https://www.outsideonline.com/2320206/prescribed-wildfire-solution-florida

The problem is that people have put homes in the middle of what needs to burn.  The best thing people can do is make their homes fire safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's true that homes are built in areas that burn same as homes are built in the path of hurricanes tornados volcanos and many other forms of natural disasters so I guess we should stop building homes. Truth is here in California they stopped deforestation and controlled burning so now there is massive amounts of fuel. Also there has been a major amount of bore beetle infestation with thousands of trees dead but the rules won't permit the removal of these trees. Regardless, when folks are in the path of disasters it's very stressful I hope Yetti that you aren't saying tuff luck and we should have considered this before moving into our home.

Now on a more positive note Lampson is untouched and should be out of danger. It will be some time before normal operations resume as cal fire is basing helicopter ops there to fight the fires that are still mostly out of control.  This photo was taken last evening looking north east the massive header is from the ranch fire burning on the north east side of Clearlake.

image.jpeg

I’m probably going to get flamed for this, but what’s going on in California is Climate Change in action. More wet years followed by dry years making lots of fuel. 

I’ll take Ohio any day. The Wx sucks most of the time, but it is almost never lethal. Yeah it’s flat, but you can land out if the mill quits. Yeah it’s ugly, but that keeps out the riff raff. What it is is cheap and easy living.

Good luck to the OP. Can’t be much fun being in the path of these things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steingar said:

I’m probably going to get flamed for this, but what’s going on in California is Climate Change in action. More wet years followed by dry years making lots of fuel. 

I’ll take Ohio any day. The Wx sucks most of the time, but it is almost never lethal. Yeah it’s flat, but you can land out if the mill quits. Yeah it’s ugly, but that keeps out the riff raff. What it is is cheap and easy living.

Good luck to the OP. Can’t be much fun being in the path of these things.

Doesn’t Ohio have ever stronger tornado and super cell storms / we are all getting some form of climate change.

Investment advice: buy up “beach front” property in northern Labrador nor while its still cheap...