Mooney + Porsche

toto

17 minutes ago, kerry said:

I remember a few years ago when Subaru came out with its diesel boxer engine.  At the time I thought it would be a kit builders dream of a great aero engine.  Has anyone heard of anyone putting one in a airplane.

Not available in US.  haven't heard if anyone's tried it in Europe...

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

airboats don’t have the weight challenge that airplanes have... so the conversation was a bit week...

Best regards,

-a-

"week"  ?

;););)

Couldn't resist. 

Sorry C

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 1

I miss my 993!!!   Best car I’ve ever owned. The insurance payout after the crash bought my Mooney.  Those air cooled cars sure went up in value!!  I got lucky.  Bought the car when they were cheap. Still trying to find a way to buy another.  Almost pulled the trigger last year on a ‘97 993 targa that was almost an exact match to my plane.  Still dreaming... 

• Like 2

I stopped lusting for ever faster cars, and also I stopped getting speeding tickets when I got my airplane. Somehow I get my go fast yayas out at 200kts.  

I guess my radar detector helps a bit too.  I drive a 2004 pristine Subraru WRX STI that I have had since new.  Sporty but not over the top.  Low miles too because my commute is 2 miles (and I ride bicycle in the summer) and if I need to go long distance either we end up going in one of the other cars with the family, or if I am solo I fly.  SO the car has like 90k still.  Knock on wood I haven't had a speeding ticket in years.

• Like 2

32 years of a “free” company car. (Makes ownership doable).  My 997.2 is about more than “speed” aspect.  Some care some don’t.  I have never “felt fast” in my Mooney.  You look at the ASI and think “We are really hauling”, but there is not the feeling of speed to me in a plane.  The sound, seating position, center lock wheels, wide body hips, steering, braking, outward view and of course handling and acceleration make it fun to drive every time.  I like the modern performance/traction control/antil-lock brakes/Stability management systems.  I get the air-cooled and hope the GTS becomes sought after and appreciates, but my son will realize that someday.  Not me.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

13 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

unless you take a lightning hit..

Or an EMP attack from Putin!  There has been one case of a Glasair that was equipped with a fixed timing mag and an electronic ignition being struck by lightning. It fried both radios and the transponder but both Mag and Electronic ignition continued to operate normally.  

Edited by Shadrach