Cracked Oil Cooler

Not a place where I would want to cut corners. If an oil cooler blows while you’re flying, you have a forced landing in your immediate future. I had one cut loose but I was lucky. It was during a ground run with the cowling off following an oil change. Ran it to check for leaks and brother did we find one.

• 7 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 2:53 PM, BKlott said:

Not a place where I would want to cut corners. If an oil cooler blows while you’re flying, you have a forced landing in your immediate future. I had one cut loose but I was lucky. It was during a ground run with the cowling off following an oil change. Ran it to check for leaks and brother did we find one.

agree,,,I was just told about some issues with my oil cooler during my annual and replacing with new.....

The only thing I can find in my logs is that it was overhauled in 2005 after now has 1000 hours since then....no idea if it is original to plane etc...I am not near the shop to take a picture of it..

On 7/28/2018 at 7:58 AM, N803RM said:

Try pacific oil coolers in Pomona CA.  I replaced mine several years ago, it was not that much.

Ron

Just had mine done there.  It's $189 for the clean/flush, but mine needed the flanges welded (crack) which was another $100.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $800 for a new one at aircraft spruce. It was the more expensive one available because it is (meggit) heavier construction. Its still on my shelf awaiting my current one to self destruct but she has a will to live apparently as its been 5 years now.