This might have already been covered somewhere(sorry!)...Anyone have recommendations for a handheld as a solid comm/nav backup that can be used fairly easily during flight. Alkaline or rechargeable doesn't really matter. I'm finishing up my PPL in the next couple weeks and getting ready to start instrument training. I would much rather be safe than stuck squawking 7600 and looking for light gun signals from the tower. Thanks in advance! 

Thanks! You guys are awesome! B) User friendliness and reliability are key! There's no point in having the equipment if you can't make it do what you need in an emergency/comm out kind of situation. I'll keep checking back here and let you know what I end up with! 

You might consider having your avionics guy put an adaptor plug in the panel tying into an antenna for your handheld. Probably overkill, but that extra range might look good some day off in the future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I prefer a radio that uses akaline batteries since they have excellent and reliable shelf life so they more likely have a working hand held radio that might work if I need it after sitting for 2 or 3 years in used in my back seat.  I just don’t trust rechargeable nicad or even lithium packs for that purpose.  I have the sportys sp400 with a standard double-a pack which I change out every two years or so. (And those batteries go to some less critical use in the household) (also same with my o2d2).  

• Like 2

Ended up finding an SP-400 locally for over 200$ off of Sportys price! :o...Pretty happy with it so far. Will end up having to purchase a charger, headset adapter,  another battery but still did better than trying to get one new. Thanks for the info guys! 

IMG_0574.PNG

Thanks! I will continue to update the thread. I really should've finished it long, long ago (was over 1/2 complete back in 2002 :huh:) Anxious to start working towards an instrument rating. Makes it hard to go flying without one most of the year in Washington state. 

Edited by BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, DonMuncy said:

You might consider having your avionics guy put an adaptor plug in the panel tying into an antenna for your handheld. Probably overkill, but that extra range might look good some day off in the future.

I did that along with getting an extra battery pack

Edited by tony

On 7/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, DonMuncy said:

That is what I did too.

1979039698_Handheldcoaxconnector.thumb.png.cf1a04e355ad26783f1d74ce5d5f5297.png

On 7/27/2018 at 6:59 PM, DonMuncy said:

Came here to say this. In my experience with a Yaesu 550, the tower could only hear me from the runway (though I could hear tower / TRACON / etc way out). Hooking up to an external antenna increased the transmission range dramatically.

I like the Yaesu, it comes with a headset adapter. I also had a RAM mount to suction cup it to the window (could fly a VOR or localizer with it, in a pinch), and a PTT switch I could velcro to the yoke.

https://flying-geek.blogspot.com/2017/07/mooney.html

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 7:18 AM, aviatoreb said:

I prefer a radio that uses akaline batteries since they have excellent and reliable shelf life so they more likely have a working hand held radio that might work if I need it after sitting for 2 or 3 years in used in my back seat. 

Ditto. I might add, also, a "trick" I picked up from a friend: Get ATIS before every flight using the handheld. Saves the ship's battery or some engine run-time, and it's an easy way to be sure the batteries in the handheld are good for when you really need them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1