Shoulder Belt  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Shoulder belt installed and used.

• Got them Good to Go
    • Got them good to go... still looking for a 5 point
    • Dad didn't need them why should I
    • I just want to be thrown clear of the accident scene

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

Very true. Do you guys have the inertial reel or the fixed one?

20 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I have the inertial.   Much better, IMHO.

I did the inertial as well. They were more but in the grand scheme of things it's not much. I agree with Eric and am glad I spent the extra. 

• Like 1

I just don’t understand why an aircraft seat/shoulder belt is so much better and so much more expensive than a passenger car seat/Shoulder belt. There are guys flying around in $5k airplanes that cant afford $1k for an approved set of $50 seat belts. Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I did the inertial as well. They were more but in the grand scheme of things it's not much. I agree with Eric and am glad I spent the extra. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Same for me.  Johnson Bar airplanes particularly benefit from the inertial reel and push button release mechanism.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I just bought a set from Hooker Harness. They were $400 for both front seats, $200 each, plus shipping.  You still need to buy the bolts and clamp from Alpha Aviation, but a lot more reasonable price.  I’ll post pictures when I get them in.

What items did you buy? They seem to have inertial reels too. Their pricelist is confusing. I will try to call them today.

5 hours ago, FastTex said:

What items did you buy? They seem to have inertial reels too. Their pricelist is confusing. I will try to call them today.

I ended up going with the pull strap shoulder harnesses.  I was concerned about ease of access to the back seats with the inertia reel hanging in the doorway and I often have people in the back.  I thought about doing just the pilot side, but decided against it.  It seemed the only time it would really come in handy was for changing the fuel tanks, which is always done in cruise, so I should be able to loosen the strap for that.

Yes, their price list is confusing, they don't mention at all that they do Mooney seat belts, and their website is terrible.  However, I found them very easy to work with when I called them and I'm quite pleased with the product and the cost.  The lap belts are adjustable on both sides, so you can adjust to get the buckle exactly where you want it.

• Thanks 1

hooker has been covered a couple of times around here...

And TBIs get a few mentions as well...

Avoiding the injury in the first place is a good place to start... some TBIs are much less violent than others....

Getting out of the wreck, often requires being awake...

See if a four point harness is available.  I used one in a bonanza a couple of weeks ago... I don’t remember any of the details though...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Hooker harness&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Best regards,

-a-

A couple shoulder belt install questions.  What do I do with this strip of aluminum?  It's right where the nut needs to go on the passenger side. Two thoughts, I could trim out a section or try to bend it back in. Obviously, I'm a bit worried about cutting metal in the plane, even though it's not structural. AF0181A0-6D51-4363-81E4-CA542D0A5B0D.thumb.jpeg.60c6ce51e15b7a2639d73c84ad2317f7.jpeg

On the pilot side, the aluminum looked like this and didn't get in the way.  143F50D4-5A13-4007-8AD1-F6AF5E272DFF.thumb.jpeg.51dde6e13ad9088ba6e4ee55ef5260cf.jpeg

As a side note, I didn't find the clamp too difficult on the pilot side. I went up high and then used a small screw driver stuck on the bolt hole to pry it through using the frame as a fulcrum. 

Bet you can prove that piece of aluminum is there to support the plastic wall cover only...

Consider moving it... remove it if necessary...

either way, ask your mechanic... for proper guidance.

In the event moving it becomes a bigger challenge...

It will be nice to have the added support to keep the plastic from moving when leaned on...

PP thoughts only, NOT a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Well, i thought I could look up the part I needed in the catalog, but I'm not having any luck.  When I took my original seat belts off, one was missing the bushing that keeps the seat belt end centered on the bolt.  I know it will work without it, but I want to make it right.  Does anyone have a part number for that little bushing?  Maybe @M20Doc?

I didn't think to take a picture when it was together. This is the bushing. FEED3E9F-0109-49F6-A733-04F0E9DCCC9C.thumb.jpeg.e3f5f64caa722282da58888847a56134.jpeg3943CEAF-F5C2-4EC9-884F-8005F0E1D2C8.thumb.jpeg.aff5ca2747b7c101f84aba9bc5f038b6.jpeg

There is a 1/4" bolt AN24-284, then a large washer AN470-4, and then the bushing that the seat belt rides on. In the catalog is part number 140046-7, but I haven't been able to find it online. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Well, i thought I could look up the part I needed in the catalog, but I'm not having any luck.  When I took my original seat belts off, one was missing the bushing that keeps the seat belt end centered on the bolt.  I know it will work without it, but I want to make it right.  Does anyone have a part number for that little bushing?  Maybe @M20Doc?

From the J model IPC, item 32.  But if you have the opposite one, buy a piece of 4130 tubing, a hacksaw and a file.

06E0D0BB-3C6C-4100-B92A-C531C44EEBBD.jpeg

16 hours ago, Andy95W said:

But the person you need to ask is the guy who's signing your logbook.  Doing it the way he wants is the only thing that matters.

For sure.  I had his blessing to install the shoulder harnesses before I started, but at the time we both assumed it was just adding a clamp.  I didn't want to bother him on Sunday night with my questions.  If your browsing MS on Sunday night, you're fair game for questions. :P

I talked to him about it today and showed him the picture, he didn't care weather I cut it or bent it.  My main concern was that if a crack started, I didn't want to find out later that it was the exterior skin was just bent around backwards and the crack had migrated to the outside. :o

• Like 1