Shoulder Belt?

Shoulder Belt  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Shoulder belt installed and used.

• Got them Good to Go
    • Got them good to go... still looking for a 5 point
    • Dad didn't need them why should I
    • I just want to be thrown clear of the accident scene

Had shoulder belts in my Cessna, but the instructor didn't use them, so why should I? I read an article by Rod Machado the night of October 11, 2003 and decided to start using them.

Here is the next day.

Have had the opportunity to tell Rod in person how his article likely saved my life as my entire physical damage from this was a light bruise from the shoulder strap.

Cessna N52254 crash 001.jpg

• Like 13

I wouldn't expect anyone without at least front shoulder belts to defend their position. Not withstanding we realize we have well respected Mooneyspacers without them -  It's not defensible. Its just like saying some peoples lives aren't worth the effort or cost to install shoulder belts. 

http://alphaaviation.com/mooney-minor-change-kit-m20-a-thru-g-and-early-j/ 

Edited by kortopates

I flew for 5 years without shoulder belt use in my 340. Something about the perceived proximity to the panel in my 231 has me using them in the Mooney. After 15 or so hours, don’t even notice. Don’t know why it took so long to see the safety value. 

Ubering around KOSH... I wore the belt...

It was there, so I put it on...

Conditioned response?

I like to be strapped in tight when pulling side gs...

In a plane, I like to be attached to the seat bottom...

In the event of an accident, people and things are going to move somewhat randomly... depending on the randomness of what hits what.... being strapped in is going to be better.... if it keeps you awake long enough to make decisions... that could be the difference...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have four place shoulder belts in my Comanche, all by STC.  In my last E model I had them in the front by STC and in the rear made up my own brackets and bolted them to the very back of the steel frame.

Clarence

3 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I don't see an option for me. Don't have them, seriously want the AmSafe airbags, but $2500 is a lot. Plenty of roads to land on here in Florida. Only scary part is the first 30 seconds after takeoff.

Alex, Ill show you a nice scar on my head at the Summit where it was stapled back together. Did I mention I was wearing a shoulder belt? Without it, I wont be here typing. Hopefully, you will realize the few $ spent on shoulder belts are a far better addition to your plane than some new headset or other gizmo. Personally, I wont fly in any aircraft that doesnt have them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Ok who here where’s their shoulder seatbelts in the back seat of a car?

Always, and require those riding when I drive to do so as well.

3 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I don't see an option for me.

Alex, please check with other C owners to see how they accomplished attaching theirs. While I cannot find it at this point, I recall an item in Kathryn's Report about a Bo pilot running out of fuel and having enough altitude to contact ATC and letting them know he was setting down in a grassy field. He had plenty of time, a chosen landing site he felt was not hazardous, and still managed to kill himself. One picture in the report showed his GNS 530 with a cracked screen where his head impacted it. He had shoulder harnesses, but did not fasten his. Having lived through a crash with a shoulder harness on, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose not to wear one if it is available.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I don't see an option for me. Don't have them, seriously want the AmSafe airbags, but $2500 is a lot. Plenty of roads to land on here in Florida. Only scary part is the first 30 seconds after takeoff.

I won't fly in a plane without them. Like Mike and others here I owe my life to shoulder harness. I had a diagonal bruise across my chest for a month after my little mishap, and still broke my jaw.  There is no way I would have survived without them.

Alex follow the link that @kortopates posted above.  The kit for the hard points is only $17.50.  Since you wrench on your own plane you can do the install.  The Alpha belts are $370 each seat, but you may find a some used belts someplace for next to nothing. Think of it as a one time insurance premium.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

Sorry Alex but I have to jump on the bandwagon here. I bought a plane that needed a lot of work to make it dependable, but the very first thing I did was have the shoulder harnesses installed. Proximity to the panel, previous flying in rentals that had them and the prospect of putting my loved ones in the plane all led me to believe that they were absolutely necessary. I work for a living and don't have a bunch of "extra" cash but again, I think they are necessities, not luxuries.

• Like 2

Alex,

By now hopefully the many responses will give you a reason to reevaluate your position.  Your post implies that the only event that might justify shoulder harnesses are a sudden failure during takeoff.  You must realize that even an apparent perfect approach to a paved runway can vary suddenly and without warning turn into an incident involving head-to-panel impact.

Also, those who only wear their harness on departure and arrival should consider the potential for a low probability event in cruise such as Dan’s in flight nap and consider wearing them during the entire flight.  I only remove my harness briefly to change tanks or reach for something in the back seat.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Southernpilot said:

I do always.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do.  Seen one too many head injuries from hitting the ceiling and frame on rollovers.

I think I remember Mike Busch talking about an engine failure on takeoff that he testified about.  While the crux was engine failure, the pilot made a perfect water ditching that should have been survivable.  IIRC, no shoulder belts, and both he and his wife's heads hit the instrument panel, knocking them both out.  They survived the impact but both drowned, because the plane sank before they could be rescued.  The only thing worse would be getting knocked out on land, and then getting caught in a post-crash fire.

• Like 3

@Raptor05121 I will give you the shoulder harness/seat belts out of my F when I upgrade to the AMSAFE airbags. I plan on doing the upgrade this fall as part of my annual.  $3000 is not even aviation expensive and if it is ever needed it will be priceless.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, kpaul said:

@Raptor05121 I will give you the shoulder harness/seat belts out of my F when I upgrade to the AMSAFE airbags. I plan on doing the upgrade this fall as part of my annual.  $3000 is not even aviation expensive and if it is ever needed it will be priceless.

$3k isn’t even the price on the deductible for the emergency medical helicopter flight.