STEC-30 Servo Location

AP was working perfectly....right up until it wasn't!  No roll control in any mode (including ST/wing level; ignores the turn knob).  Clutch engages but no apparent drive signal to the servo.  All self-checks ok.  I'm going to check the connector on the back of the TC/RC as it quit working after the shop tracked down a static system leak when I had my static/transponder check done; i.e., they were poking around behind the panel in the general area of the TC/RC.

However,...if that's not it, I want to check the servo.  But, I don't know where it is!!

Any help so I don't have to just start pulling inspection panels at random would be most welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Barry LeBlanc said:

Hi,

Did you sort your self out yet? If not call Al Gialousis at 940-654-0170 and he can talk you through this issue. 

Unfortunately, no.  It's been running 100 degrees here in SoCal and I'm just not motivated to go crawling around my panel in this heat!

Thanks very much for the contact; I'll give Al a call.

• 3 weeks later...

OP here.  I wanted to follow up with closure on this.

YEAH!!! A/P working once again.

Despite having crawled under the panel and finding the D-sub connector not fully seated, removing said connector and lookingfor bent pins....that's EXACTLY what the problem was; I just needed to pull the TC/RC out of the panel in order to see that two pins were shorted together due to one of them being bent.  Pretty clearly done by the shop that had my panel torn apart to find the static system leak.  A/P had been working just fine until then.

Anyway, hat's off to Al, and Barry, at STEC (Genesis).  VERY helpful and friendly advice. Based on the symptoms and measurements I made at Al's direction we thought that the unit needed to be sent back to the factory for repair; that's why I was pulling it out of tha panel.  Al was originally betting it was a bent pin...and he was right!

Edited by MikeOH
  • Like 2