If I were in the market for a new Mooney...

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

... and all I had to go on was my experience at the Mooney exhibit at Oshkosh, I would run the other way.

What a bunch of pompous snobs!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yikes!  What happened?

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

... and all I had to go on was my experience at the Mooney exhibit at Oshkosh, I would run the other way.

Its a shame  Seems I've heard that more than once.

They were like that at Sun N Fun as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

There was some event in Texas about a year ago that drew the same response on this forum.  Looking down your nose at a prospective customer is usually not a smart sales technique.  

They need someone to humble them the way my Grand Dad used to deal with new car sales people.  He was showered and shaved, but he would put on his most ragged overalls and buy a car or pickup in the city where no one knew who he was.  The bib pocket was stuffed with green cash.  If they snobbed him he politely let them know that they missed a cash sale.  If they didn’t and he cut a deal, he would sit down and count out the cash.  He really enjoyed it.  Someone needs to show these guys what a lost sale due to snobbery feels like.

• Like 6

I was there last year and hope to arrive Friday this year, but last year the Mooney booth looked like a funeral and the Cirrus booth looked like a frat party. And the employees personalities matched the feel of each booth.  It really is a shame because they’re such great planes.

• Like 1

Someone should walk right into the Mooney Booth and Tell them exactly what they are doing.  Someone should share this thread with the leadership at Mooney.

What exactly are they doing?  I get the idea generally.

Yeah - I wouldn't want to buy anything from such people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

@Guitarmaster,

I just talked with Jeff Magnus, Sales Manager at Mooney, and he would like you to stop by the booth and talk to him so he can address your concern. They’re providing VIP access to Mooney owners for the night airshow and he’d really like to talk with you.

I echo the experience @skydvrboy had at the booth, I was treated well.

Cheers,

Rick

• Like 2

@Guitarmaster,
I just talked with Jeff Magnus, Sales Manager at Mooney, and he would like you to stop by the booth and talk to him so he can address your concern. They’re providing VIP access to Mooney owners for the night airshow and he’d really like to talk with you.
Cheers,
Rick
Thanks the info. I may do that tonight.

4 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

Thanks the info. I may do that tonight.

Matt, the Mooney folks are very much aware of your post and the reaction here.

Lance Phillips, marketing manager, would like you to come and give him an earful as well.

I watched a number of our "vintage" pilots with vintage planes be very graciously treated and given VIP badges by Lance, Richard Simile, and Lee Drumheller... probably others. It was made clear at the owners workshop Tuesday morning that all Mooney owners were "VIPs".

(I had run into one of the factory guys that I know Monday morning before they were open for business. He sent me right up to the gal signing folks up to get the VIP tickets etc. A few hours later Richard was disappointed that I already had a badge on when he saw me... as if he was getting credit for recognizing making sure folks were treated well. (I once bought a Mercedes with a 3 day growth and my yard jeans so I appreciate the Sales 101 lesson (aka, Pretty Woman) y'all are trying to apply and while I think that was the case a couple of years ago, I don't think that's what's going on now.)    

Management is coming over to see my plane in the morning. I expect you'll see a new factory paint scheme adopted soon.:P:rolleyes::o 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My only experience with any of the factory folks was when Richard Simile flew that new Acclaim Ultra to our West Coast fly-in and he was fantastic. Couldn't ask for a better ambassador than he was, the way he treated everyone there was top notch. 

I did not get that feeling at sun & fun but to be honest I talked to an MSC owner who knows his stuff and has always been professional over the years. 

I’m not a fan of the Cirrus displays...going on 10 years now I get more love from the Pilatus salesman. 

I’ll stop by the booth a few times tomorrow - Saturday and report back.  

Have you guys ever tried calling Mooney on the phone.  The receptionist will answer but no-one and I mean no-one is ever around.  Seems like a sham to me, people getting paid for no show jobs.

Even though they are a Chinese company they are based in the USA.  As you know in the USA the customer is a pain in the ass who gets in the way of profits.  I love my Mooney but if I had the money for a new one I would look at a Beechcraft or something else just due to their customer service.

Plus it would be so great to open my cowling and take a look at my engine more often with just one lever.

We are truly BRAND ambassadors.  A good company would be proud of their heritage.  Celebrate it.  Porsche does this extremely well.  Mooney has had a quality product that, like Porsche, has stood the test of time.  The resemblance of vintage to new is a POSITIVE!  Bob’s plane should be IN THE MOONEY BOOTH.  The bones are strong.  

I have been treated well when I announced I was a proud vintage Mooney owner.  The show can no doubt be fatiguing with several days hard at it from a marketing standpoint.  I will give Mooney the benefit of the doubt.  I love opening AOPA and seeing an Ultra ad every month.

I hope Mooney sells some planes this week.  I would NEVER select Beech over Mooney if buying new.  Face palm on that...YES, I am a brand snob.  Cirrus?  Never was a frat party kinda guy.  Hope Mooney finds that middle ground between standoffish and frat party anything goes.  Is a chute like a condom?  A lot of those at frat parties.  (Just kidding-I don’t want that debate again).

Weather should be spectacular.  Enjoy the low humidity and sun everyone!  With you in spirit.

• Like 6

I went by the booth wearing all Mooney gear, head to toe. Everyone was busy talking to each other. There were no other non-Mooney employees at the booth at that time. I was the only one. I finally figured out how to get one of the VIP badges and left. But during the time I was there, two other "customers" came up to me and asked if I worked for Mooney. Again, because everyone in the grey Mooney uniforms were busy with their own conversations. I was not impressed.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Well, I went back there today. Couldn't find Lance, but at least someone talked to me. Got my VIP badge and will probably go to their BBQ tomorrow.
The guy I talked to today was nice and I thanked him for coming out to talk with me.
On the way out, one of the others was joking about picking the right salesman, obviously ribbing his buddy.
I guess I was in a bit of a pissy mood from the last time, So I told him his buddy was the only one to come talk with me in the three times I stopped by.
His response? "Well, it's been really busy and we can't meet everyone." Note: when I was there last, there was a total of three other people looking.
I had a very similar experience with a Mercedes dealership years ago. I will never own another Mercedes because if it... At least from that place... oh, And it was the worst car I have owned.
Others may disagree; might have had a different experience with the Mooney reps, but I am not impressed.
On a different note, the Velocity reps were great! Really, all the experimental reps were great and seemed to really want my business.
Still love my Mooney and the owners thereof. It's about as close to an experimental mindset as you can get in the certified world. However; not impressed with the face of Mooney... At least at KOSH this year.
Gotta return to the real world tomorrow evening... Hope everyone had a great time here this year!

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, Skates97 said:

My only experience with any of the factory folks was when Richard Simile flew that new Acclaim Ultra to our West Coast fly-in and he was fantastic. Couldn't ask for a better ambassador than he was, the way he treated everyone there was top notch. 

I agree with the statement above.  Richard Simile is a class act all the way and represents the company extremely well. 

As someone who owns a luxury real estate brand in Los Angeles averaging $80 Million a year in home sales, I can say from first hand experience that buyers at any level of the financial spectrum need to be treated with the highest level of respect and most of all appreciation for the opportunity for us (sales consultants) to be of service. 

To acquire and keep a customer engaged in the purchase process can take many months of diligent follow up and a consistent effort to ensure the building of trust.  It only takes one brief moment to lose any progress made. It can be the slightest thing such as taking a cell call while meeting with them, giving the impression that another customer (Hot) to buy is more important or an off handed casual remark while getting too personal and letting professional boundaries slip away.  VIP Passes for current Mooney owners is a very nice touch.  VIP Passes and a private tour of the Oshkosh Booth or Company headquarters in Kerrville for new customers registering on their website as having interest in a new plane will go a long way to getting new customers feeling welcomed and connected with the company and it's products.

The Mooney is an incredible aircraft and with a 70 year history there is much to be proud of and build upon for a new generation of pilots looking for their chariot in the sky.

As Mooney owners, we are the company's pilot ambassadors on the front lines maintaining our aircraft and proudly flying them throughout the world. 

A company culture built on client appreciation, being of service and a commitment to building new and long standing client relationships whether with a current Mooney owner or someone considering a brand new bird will ensure that the Mooney brand will continue to lead the way in every aspect of the general aviation marketplace for many years to come.  I am saddened to see the negative comments in this thread.  For every negative review you can safely assume that there are at least 20-30 more people who share that same sentiment but did not share it publicly.  Assuming that two hundred potential buyers had the same experience and that on average a company closes 1.5 sales per every 100 buyer leads, it is safe to say that Mooney may have lost three solid sales or approximately $2.4 Million dollars in potential closed sales to their companies bottom line.  Suffice it to say based on the above comments, training their team company wide to come from a place of more gratitude and less attitude may make all the difference in their future success.  Let's keep supporting Mooney as they move forward in every way possible even if it means sharing some challenging conversations with the leadership. 

Just my opinion from someone who manages my sales team towards the same high standards. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I went by the booth wearing all Mooney gear, head to toe. Everyone was busy talking to each other. There were no other non-Mooney employees at the booth at that time. I was the only one. I finally figured out how to get one of the VIP badges and left. But during the time I was there, two other "customers" came up to me and asked if I worked for Mooney. Again, because everyone in the grey Mooney uniforms were busy with their own conversations. I was not impressed.

This is exactly the way they behaved at Sun N Fun. Bob B and I were standing next to an Acclaim talking, taking pictures and looking in all of the Acclaim's orifices. The sales guys were off on the sides talking to each other. I was a regional sales manager for a number of years and attended hundreds of trade shows. If these "sales" folks worked for me, they would be FIRED. 

• Like 3

On 7/25/2018 at 7:30 PM, Junkman said:

@Guitarmaster,

Cheers,

Rick

I was only there on Tuesday, and spent a good deal of time at the booth. Not once did I observe any snobbery to anyone

On 7/26/2018 at 2:20 AM, Jim Peace said:

Have you guys ever tried calling Mooney on the phone.  The receptionist will answer but no-one and I mean no-one is ever around.  Seems like a sham to me, people getting paid for no show jobs

I call them often, and I often get right thru or get a return call promptly. I have been there often, and the parking lot is full of cars of employees getting paid on the job, not a no show job as you describe. Have you actually been there lately? I will give you there phone system lacks, and I have mentioned this to Jeff and Lance, but to accuse them of getting paid to do nothing is quite demeaning and wrong, Jim. Often they are engaged in work and not just waiting for a call to disrupt that work.

• Like 2