Leary of the grass

Fookz92

Y’all have probably seen this one before but, check the nose gear out while he was taxiing. You can see it starting to buckle and flex. 

What causes this? What failed? Even if you get the green “down and locked” light? 

I have a fly in coming up that leads me into a 3600 grass strip. I’m gun shy now after watching this

Edited by Fookz92
  • Sad 1

You should be weary. I’ve landed in all kinds of grass in tailwheels. Maybe 25% of those fields would be ok for a Mooney. It really depends on how deep the gopher holes are. You really need to know the condition of the grass; how well it’s maintained. 

-Robert

• Like 1

Triple Tree Aerodrome? Grass smoother than many hard surfaced runways I have landed on. 

A local field around here called Campbell Field? Maybe a Cub with tundra tires, but not my Mooney.

Like Robert says, all grass strips are not equal. Go in with someone else or do some deep research before you bring a Mooney there. Ask around. Maybe someone here on MS has been into the field and can give you a PIREP on it. Or maybe they have avoided it and can still give a PIREP.

And even if the gopher holes are not there, an undulating surface can set up an oscillation extremely detrimental to your gear staying down.

5 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Triple Tree Aerodrome? Grass smoother than many hard surfaced runways I have landed on. 

A local field around here called Campbell Field? Maybe a Cub with tundra tires, but not my Mooney.

Like Robert says, all grass strips are not equal. Go in with someone else or do some deep research before you bring a Mooney there. Ask around. Maybe someone here on MS has been into the field and can give you a PIREP on it. Or maybe they have avoided it and can still give a PIREP.

And even if the gopher holes are not there, an undulating surface can set up an oscillation extremely detrimental to your gear staying down.

I have been into the grass strip (near KSBY) the previous 2 years. The gentleman owns a piper Saratoga that he bases there. 

Cant remember what it was like from last year. No holes that I can remember but still. 

Would you drive a Ferrari on grass?  I have a friend that has a J model and he lands on his own grass strip and loves it.  But to his defense he is a farmer that has rollers and equipment to make that strip perfect.  Not sure other fields do the same.  Hard surfaces for me only.

There are hard-surface runways that are no bueno, too.    I've been to a few that are on my "don't go back there" list.   I'd like to have a taildragger Maule as a 2nd airplane to go to all the cool places.   

• Like 3

Watching the video makes me think that possibly the gear handle was either not lock into the socket or the socket was badly worn.  The fact that the gear was quickly lowered suggests that there was nothing broken in the linkage.

Clarence

3 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Watching the video makes me think that possibly the gear handle was either not lock into the socket or the socket was badly worn.  The fact that the gear was quickly lowered suggests that there was nothing broken in the linkage.

Clarence

After doing some research, I believe you are correct. The handle wasn’t locked. 

That runway looked rough to begin with. 

How about my J, is there anything to worry about with the electric gear folding up? 

Green light means down and “locked” correct?

• Like 1

I was taught when on a soft surface the controls should be held back on taxi and takeoff until the nosewheel is off the ground.  Unless wind dictates something else, that is what I still do. Anything else is asking for trouble especially on a soft surface.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

I was taught when on a soft surface the controls should be held back on taxi and takeoff until the nosewheel is off the ground.  Unless wind dictates something else, that is what I still do. Anything else is asking for trouble especially on a soft surface.

I did my primary training in a tailwheel so to this day I still taxi with the elevator all the way back, even in twins.

-Robert

35 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Almost half of my landing are on grass.  I'm based on a grass strip.

Now a long body or a rocket with the 6 cylinder engine up front maybe less so on grass but I'm sure it can still handle it.

All depends on the specific conditions of that grass at that moment. 

-Robert

Watch the video carefully as the accident taxis out and is on the takeoff roll.  Elevator neutral until part way down the runway. Then only enough elevator to raise the nose for a normal takeoff once speed is reached.  No huge surprise at the end.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oldguy said:

I saw four Mooney’s at Triple Tree last Sunday.  Taxi out and takeoff looked really smooth.  I’m gonna fly in there next time they have an event.

6 hours ago, Brandontwalker said:

Anyone fly their Mooney into Gaston’s? I am looking to go there, but am leaning toward flying into a neighboring airport and shuttling in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flown to Gaston’s in an E a few times, but mostly landed at BPK. Their turf is well maintained.  In a J I’d avoid only if winds were squirrelly or the turf was very wet. Or maybe if I was at max gross.  

Years ago we had a Mooney fly in there and about half landed there, and the others went to BPK or FLP and called their shuttle.

I know 2 mooney instructors that live on a grass strip.   One is the J bar the other is a J with electric.   I have landed grass several times and it was a non issue.   If you watch that Mooney taxi out, you see the up and down bouncing.   Make sure to replace your J bar latch every decade or so.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oldguy said:

roger that!  I found a nice washboarded section of asphalt on the way to the washrack at FCI a while ago and had to come to a full stop to get the nose to quit bouncing.  Was not pleased about that.

On 7/25/2018 at 2:48 PM, 1964-M20E said:

Almost half of my landing are on grass.  I'm based on a grass strip.

Now a long body or a rocket with the 6 cylinder engine up front maybe less so on grass but I'm sure it can still handle it.

Just came to a (very wet) grass strip on the NC coast today. Been coming once or twice most years for the decade-plus I've had my Mooney. 

When I taxied back to park, the first spot was a Rocket!! Burgundy paint, big "305 Turbo" on the tail and everything. Hope he landed before all of the rain, I almost had to get out and push when turning around, i was at full throttle (28") and almost stopped . . . . .

10 minutes ago, bradp said:

I was even concerned about taxiing the Mooney on the grass. Until I did ;-). Thanks Oshkosh.  Hank where’d ya visit on the coast? 

N21, Holly Ridge / Topsail Island. Between Wilmington KILM and Camp Lejeune, where the Outer Banks end.

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Just came to a (very wet) grass strip on the NC coast today. Been coming once or twice most years for the decade-plus I've had my Mooney. 

When I taxied back to park, the first spot was a Rocket!! Burgundy paint, big "305 Turbo" on the tail and everything. Hope he landed before all of the rain, I almost had to get out and push when turning around, i was at full throttle (28") and almost stopped . . . . .

I've landed after a heavy rain and I could have used a sea plane.  Talk about your soft field landing.  I wonder if that counts towards SEL rating???  It also gives you some feel for a tail dragger you have to fly the plane until it stops when the field is wet like that.  I have been stuck on the grass taxing back to the hangar before. :angry:  That problem was solved 4 years ago when I put a concrete apron in front of the hangar.:)

I taxi down a grass strip from the runway to my hangar. There's a gravel taxi way, but the grass is easier on the prop. After landing from the return flight from OSH yesterday, I was afraid I'd set the airport on fire taxiing through the grass. It was 106 degrees in Austin and the grass is all bone dry. But no chance of getting stuck.