Whelen at Oshkosh 2018

NotarPilot

On 7/30/2018 at 6:19 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Yes, it really is. Last SnF I compared whelen's landing light to AeroLEDs and the AeroLEDs is the ONLY one that is brighter (both in luminous intensity, candlepower, and overall perceived brightness) than the stock 250W GE Halogen.

I may look I to it. I was an early adopter for the led landing light. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, donkaye said:

Last year I went to the Whelen booth and the representatives were not very friendly, as though they were doing me a favor by buying their lights .  I went over to the AeroLeds booth and not only were they cordial, but they demonstrated on the ceiling a comparison of my GE 4596 bulb against their 1030-4596.  It was stunningly bright.  Much brighter than my old incandescent 20 hour useful life bulb.  Just what I was looking for.  I went over to Spencer and bought both the 1030-4596 landing light and 1030-4597 taxi light.  They were expensive, but much cheaper here at Oshkosh.  In addition to the Oshkosh discount, I think I was given an additional 15% discount.  Unbelievable lights.  I keep the taxi lights on all the time in pulse mode (Precise Fight Pulser).  If I had it to do over again I might just buy all 1030-4596 and skip the 1030-4597 taxi lights.  They do give a much wider beam, but display not as far the 1030-4596.

Don,

I'm moving toward LED lights for my Bravo as well.  Do you think using 4596 sunspots as taxi lights will be a problem on a busy ramp?  Could you please elaborate regarding your choice of taxi light? thx  joe

2 hours ago, slowflyin said:

Don,

I'm moving toward LED lights for my Bravo as well.  Do you think using 4596 sunspots as taxi lights will be a problem on a busy ramp?  Could you please elaborate regarding your choice of taxi light? thx  joe

Looking at the specs for the 4587 taxi light and the 4596 main light, the taxi light has a 10°x30° spread while the main light has a 10°x10° spread.  This spreads the taxi light.  I just bought the taxi light because it was called a taxi light.  If I had it to do all over again I would buy 4 1030-4596 to get a brighter long range taxi light.  The spread isn't all that important to me.

• Thanks 1