Hey All you Oshkosh People

On 7/24/2018 at 8:51 PM, aviatoreb said:

Hey All you Oshkosh People, Would you please....

-Go to Garmin and Ask them WHEN will the GFC500 be ready for my airplane?

-Go to AmSafe and ask them if anyone has installed their new universal airbag seatbelt in a Mooney yet and if yes how long to install (or anyone here?).

-Go to the surefly people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

-Go to the e-mag people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

I just got home from being at Oshkosh Sunday through Thursday - I would have asked these things for you.  My apologies.  

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DanM20C said:

I spent some time at the AmSafe booth and went over the entire system with the rep.  I neglected to ask their quoted installation time.  But it is a simple install.  I wouldn't expect more than 3-4hrs.  They did mention they expected a price increase at the end of the year.

When you consider it's an airbag system and it includes new belts with inertia reels, it's a bargain.

Cheers,

Dan

Wow - 3-4 hrs?!!! Can someone confirm that?!!  I mean I have no idea how long or complicated things are and if you had told me 40 hrs...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Wow - 3-4 hrs?!!! Can someone confirm that?!!  I mean I have no idea how long or complicated things are and if you had told me 40 hrs...

It's a pretty simple system. The control box is to be mounted solidly to the aircraft structure.  Most likely spot would be directly under the pilot or copilot seat.  The mechanism that provides the gas for the bag would mount to the bottom underside of the seat.  The belts attach to the same attach points of your current belts.  The lap belt holds the bag so it is all contained to the seat.  Add power to the control box, plug in the wire harness from each seat, stow and tie off the wires.  All done.  It is a slick system. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

emag - 1.5 to 2 years off. Looks like a nice system but would benefit from outside push to grease the FAA wheels...lots of red tape. Continental would be a nice backer but they of course own Bendix. 

I want.

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

emag - 1.5 to 2 years off. Looks like a nice system but would benefit from outside push to grease the FAA wheels...lots of red tape. Continental would be a nice backer but they of course own Bendix. 

I will get.

has anyone done a Mooney yet?

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, aviatoreb said:

I also talked to the AMSAFE folks.  None have been installed in a vintage Mooney yet, but sets have been ordered.  There is a 3-4 week lead time.  Cost is $2580 plus $18.50 shipping anywhere in the US.  That includes the entire system for both front seats.  They are only available in black.  The price is good at least through the end of 2018.

They are also in talks with D-Max to solidify the mounting for the box that senses the deceleration and runs the diagnostics. It has to be mounted to the structure.  The inflators can be mounted to the seats using adel clamps according to the rep.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:51 PM, aviatoreb said:

Hey All you Oshkosh People, Would you please....

-Go to Garmin and Ask them WHEN will the GFC500 be ready for my airplane?

-Go to AmSafe and ask them if anyone has installed their new universal airbag seatbelt in a Mooney yet and if yes how long to install (or anyone here?).

-Go to the surefly people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

-Go to the e-mag people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

I Amsafed....

Got Some contacts for your continuing conversation....

Belts and box look really good, goes in all Mooneys....

Doesn’t have the specific STC that included the Mooney factory...

Will share later...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

I Amsafed....

Got Some contacts for your continuing conversation....

Belts and box look really good, goes in all Mooneys....

Doesn’t have the specific STC that included the Mooney factory...

Will share later...

Best regards,

-a-

Please do!!!  Or at least PM me...

3 hours ago, kpaul said:

I also talked to the AMSAFE folks.  None have been installed in a vintage Mooney yet, but sets have been ordered.  There is a 3-4 week lead time.  Cost is $2580 plus $18.50 shipping anywhere in the US.  That includes the entire system for both front seats.  They are only available in black.  The price is good at least through the end of 2018.

They are also in talks with D-Max to solidify the mounting for the box that senses the deceleration and runs the diagnostics. It has to be mounted to the structure.  The inflators can be mounted to the seats using adel clamps according to the rep.

I don't really want to be the first to install the system for various reasons.  But I am planning on being an early adopter.  Perhaps this fall.  Early fall.  If anyone hears of an actual Mooney install please share!  I am especially interested in the shop time, and if there were any unusual glitches associated with a mooney install.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, Hyett6420 said:

Hi John i hope you are well.  Having looked at this  at aeroexpo in the UK i believe it replaces only the FC autopilots, but i may be wrong.  So the 192 rather than the 191.  It does look like a great deal.  Have you the kap or the Kfc?  If you have the kap i can ask the UK bk rep if you like.

Andrew

Andrew, I have the KAP - non-FD although I was hoping the 230 might slip in and play nicely with my Aspen since it can handle either. A little wiring cost would not be a show stopper. Would appreciate a check with the UK rep.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Andrew, I have the KAP - non-FD although I was hoping the 230 might slip in and play nicely with my Aspen since it can handle either. A little wiring cost would not be a show stopper. Would appreciate a check with the UK rep.

Thanks.

I thought the 230 requires the yet to be certified ki300.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I thought the 230 requires the yet to be certified ki300.

With my luck, it would be a sure bet....

And now that you bring it up, I think I had heard the somewhere along the way. :(

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

With my luck, it would be a sure bet....

And now that you bring it up, I think I had heard the somewhere along the way. :(

I like my KFC200 it is excellent legacy equipment.  But I am very very unimpressed with King as a current brand for follow through and customer support.  Including a) they tried to block all vendors - autopilot central etc - from maintaining the legacy equipment about a year ago - then backed off that. Meanwhile the king provided support for the same equipment is extremely poor.  This is just predatory and unpleasant.  b) the access to reasonable priced equipment is not available. For example I needed a yoke trim switch a few years ago and Im not remembering the numbers exactly but it had just been increased in cost from something like $900 to $2000...for a little switch on the yoke - that is just price gouging Im sorry - I know airplane stuff is expensive but that is just price gouging. c) as demonstrated by the KI300 which is just apparently a sandia in disguise, but whatever, several years "next quarter" available, I am just not impressed with their follow through.

AND the cost of a 230 plus a KI300 is roughly comparable to a GFC500+2 G5's, (not including install) but that cost of install also comes with two new brushless servos,

4 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I like my KFC200 it is excellent legacy equipment.  But I am very very unimpressed with King as a current brand for follow through and customer support.  Including a) they tried to block all vendors - autopilot central etc - from maintaining the legacy equipment about a year ago - then backed off that. Meanwhile the king provided support for the same equipment is extremely poor.  This is just predatory and unpleasant.  b) the access to reasonable priced equipment is not available. For example I needed a yoke trim switch a few years ago and Im not remembering the numbers exactly but it had just been increased in cost from something like $900 to $2000...for a little switch on the yoke - that is just price gouging Im sorry - I know airplane stuff is expensive but that is just price gouging. c) as demonstrated by the KI300 which is just apparently a sandia in disguise, but whatever, several years "next quarter" available, I am just not impressed with their follow through.

AND the cost of a 230 plus a KI300 is roughly comparable to a GFC500+2 G5's, (not including install) but that cost of install also comes with two new brushless servos,

Right now, my KAP 150 is doing well, although I know its time is limited. With my Aspen and (future) GNS 430W replacement IFD 440, I need to make sure there is something available for me when my a/p dies. I don't see a TT being my solution, nor does it sounds like will the 230 fit the bill. Will I end up with a GFC 500 or STEC 3100? Both of those would be big investments, but doing the flying I do without an a/p is pretty much a non-starter for me. Was really hoping the 230 would do it, but now I am not sure.

33 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Right now, my KAP 150 is doing well, although I know its time is limited. With my Aspen and (future) GNS 430W replacement IFD 440, I need to make sure there is something available for me when my a/p dies. I don't see a TT being my solution, nor does it sounds like will the 230 fit the bill. Will I end up with a GFC 500 or STEC 3100? Both of those would be big investments, but doing the flying I do without an a/p is pretty much a non-starter for me. Was really hoping the 230 would do it, but now I am not sure.

The stec 3100 seems nice but does it seem much more expensive for a new install if you don't already have some sort of stec?

5 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I don't really want to be the first to install the system for various reasons.  But I am planning on being an early adopter.  Perhaps this fall.  Early fall.  If anyone hears of an actual Mooney install please share!  I am especially interested in the shop time, and if there were any unusual glitches associated with a mooney install.

The AmSafe guys mentioned working with DMax to at least two MSers... (I was one)

They didn’t seem very familiar with Don as well as we all know him.  But, if there is going to be a first install... Having a Dmax annual to go with it would be fantastic!

There is nothing going to be low cost about this endeavor... comes with the territory...

Erik, I have two business cards, and a brochure... As soon as I remember where they are....  :)

the fine gentlemen at the show said to use the service contact email to get to them... they showed me a copy of the STC listing the history of all Mooneys....

As usual, bits of a PP’s memories... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1