Hey All you Oshkosh People

Hey All you Oshkosh People, Would you please....

-Go to Garmin and Ask them WHEN will the GFC500 be ready for my airplane?

-Go to AmSafe and ask them if anyone has installed their new universal airbag seatbelt in a Mooney yet and if yes how long to install (or anyone here?).

-Go to the surefly people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

-Go to the e-mag people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

• Like 1

Oshkosh Air Venture announcements,  STC Cert. for GFC-500:

Cessna 210

Grumman AA-5, this is a burner with cruise speed of 122 kts.

Beech Debonair--(C33, E33, F33 ,G33)

Mooney...................................................................................................................................You got it, nothing.

1 hour ago, DAVIDWH said:

Oshkosh Air Venture announcements,  STC Cert. for GFC-500:

Cessna 210

Grumman AA-5, this is a burner with cruise speed of 122 kts.

Beech Debonair--(C33, E33, F33 ,G33)

Mooney...................................................................................................................................You got it, nothing.

Andy Rutherford's M20M is at Garmin now as the test bed for the GFC500 certification due sometime near the end of the year he tells me.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Andy Rutherford's M20M is at Garmin now as the test bed for the GFC500 certification due sometime near the end of the year he tells me.

Don, are you going for the 500 now?  I know you were bummed about the 600 not including any Mooney aircraft. 

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Go to King and view their acvu  touch screen for Mooneys et al, great piece of kit.  Also look at their replacement (if they have it there) slide in for the KFC A/P's  

Oh and can you please have the exec summaries on my desk by COB on Friday, thanks ever so much.  

Huge apologies that I and my Maths companion could not be there  :)  

Hi Hyett!  I love how when I’m in England I do maths.  But in the us I just do math.  Like as if it’s just singular- one math.  Two maths, three maths more.

today I’m in Boston - wicked!

oh yeah I’ll take the Intel briefing on the bk aerocruze too.

38 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

well TECHNICALLY, it is short for mathematics, so has to be Maths,  see below  :)   

The suffix -matic comes from matos in Greek,that means "willing to [perform]". So "mathematics" means "willing to math" -- math is from mathema, which means "to learn"; therefore, "willing to learn". Math was used for anything related to learning, from astrology to astronomy to arts. The word "mathematics" has come to its present form only in some 1800s. Thus, the word "polymath" means someone who has mastered many different disciplines.

end of useless piece of information learning for today, class dismissed  :)  

I know - I know...I have spent some significant time at various UK universities over the year, starting with a semester at Warwick U for a semester during my graduate studies, and later many weeks at a time at Oxford, Imperial, and Cambridge. A little at Bristol.  All the while doing mathS...  Its called English and not American so we are the ones who disturbed the lovely language.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oldguy said:

And can someone as the Aspen folks if there is a restriction/problem with adding a new Evolution MFD 500/1000 MAX  MFD to the previous generation Evolution 1000 PFD?

TIA

You can mix and match according to the guy I talked to, but the prices go down the more screens you replace. One $2995, two $4995 and three $5995

17 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I know - I know...I have spent some significant time at various UK universities over the year, starting with a semester at Warwick U for a semester during my graduate studies, and later many weeks at a time at Oxford, Imperial, and Cambridge. A little at Bristol.  All the while doing mathS...  Its called English and not American so we are the ones who disturbed the lovely language.

It's a contentious topic. I grew up with "maths"

• Like 1

Let's see, if you abbreviate "mathematics", since we are by definition chopping off the rest of the word, it doesn't matter what letter the word ends with. Now if you make a contraction by chopping out the middle part and adding an apostrophe, then keep the end of the word. But it isn't Math's . . . .

Maybe the Brits put an "s" on math just like they put a "u" in color, labor, etc., and an "me" at the end of program and a "pe" at the end of shop.

But I must agree with the video above, there's an "s" at the end of mathematics, but the word is not plural.

And let's not even get into the difference in how the Brits count . . . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Let's see, if you abbreviate "mathematics", since we are by definition chopping off the rest of the word, it doesn't matter what letter the word ends with. Now if you make a contraction by chopping out the middle part and adding an apostrophe, then keep the end of the word. But it isn't Math's . . . .

Maybe the Brits put an "s" on math just like they put a "u" in color, labor, etc., and an "me" at the end of program and a "pe" at the end of shop.

But I must agree with the video above, there's an "s" at the end of mathematics, but the word is not plural.

And let's not even get into the difference in how the Brits count . . . . .

A British Bloke would say OYE! To his best Bloke buddy which is an all purpose word that may mean, let’s go, or hey wake up and pay attention, or why did you say that it was offensive, or let’s go, or even hey I’m tired of hanging out in this pub let’s go to the university now and do some maths.

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

very true well almost,  a million is still the same, a billion CANNOT be 1000 X 1, 000, 000 because a million is a thousands thousands, so therefore by definition a billion is a million milllions and a trillion is a billion billions  

It's a simple concept:  add a comma, add a name. If a thousand thousands fets a new name (we agree on million), why does a thousand millions not get a new name? Over here, it a "billion." What do you call it?

I just know not to trust large spoken numbers across either Ocean (in Japan, they count and xhange names every 10,000, which is even more confusing). Write them down, it's always clear. 

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Yep its American of Course its simple. (Sorry i just could not resist that one). :)

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/how-many-is-a-billion/ 

Who here knows what a google plex is?  Hint - it’s not a tech company.  It’s s very very big number.  Much bigger than all of the subatomic particles in a the atoms in all the suns and planets in all the solar systems in s the galaxies in all the super galaxies in the known universe.  It’s the biggest number with a standardized name.  So what is it?

Ps I’m an American but extra credit / who made it up and where were they working?

Edited by aviatoreb

33 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Who here knows what a google plex is?  Hint - it’s not a tech company.  It’s s very very big number.  Much bigger than all of the subatomic particles in a the atoms in all the suns and planets in all the solar systems in s the galaxies in all the super galaxies in the known universe.  It’s the biggest number with a standardized name.  So what is it?

Ps I’m an American but extra credit / who made it up and where were they working?

I first heard of "google" as a really big number in elementary school back in the 70s. Googleplex seems to have appeared in the last few years as a much bigger number, courtesy of some faceless drone working for alphabet, inc (parent company of google et al). As for names, this engineer leaves suchtrivia to other faceless drones . . . . (Did I just call myself one, too??  :blink:)

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I first heard of "google" as a really big number in elementary school back in the 70s. Googleplex seems to have appeared in the last few years as a much bigger number, courtesy of some faceless drone working for alphabet, inc (parent company of google et al). As for names, this engineer leaves suchtrivia to other faceless drones . . . . (Did I just call myself one, too??  :blink:)

I spelled it wrong - its a googol.  And googolplex.  Both are pretty old, due to an American mathematician named Kasner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Kasner

Thousand=10^3

Million = 10^6

Billion=10^9

Trillion = 10^12

A googol=10^100.  That's a 1 followed by 100 zeros to represent.  10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Some estimates put the number of sub atomic particles in the know universe at ~10^80 (or so) which is roughly 10^20 TIMES smaller.  That's 10^20=1000000000000000000000.

A googolplex is 10^googol = 1 followed by a googol zeros.  That means if each particle in the known universe is used to represent a zero in your writing, then there are not enough subatomic particles in the entire known universe, and in fact you would need 10^20 universes and all of its particles to write out a googolplex.

Google is a nice search engine.

Infinite is even "bigger".

On 7/24/2018 at 7:51 PM, aviatoreb said:

Hey All you Oshkosh People, Would you please....

-Go to Garmin and Ask them WHEN will the GFC500 be ready for my airplane?

-Go to AmSafe and ask them if anyone has installed their new universal airbag seatbelt in a Mooney yet and if yes how long to install (or anyone here?).

-Go to the surefly people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

-Go to the e-mag people (electronic ignition) and ask them wasup' (mooney).

The Garmin rep did not give a date but said soon (not to be confused with a BK “soon”). You can infact buy the components now but the software/stc is still being worked on. When I asked about variance between different aircraft stc cost he said it is based on how hard / how much time spent getting the approval. He expected the spread to be very small between a 172 and a Mooney. 

Talked to the emag booth. Off memory the price for a single mag replacement was under 3k for a 4 banger which included a discount for 1/2 price fine wire plugs. The 6 cyl Price was reasonable as well. I don’t feel I talked to the right person there because details of the single unit vs both mag replacement were very vague.  I’ll head back today with better questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

The Garmin rep did not give a date but said soon (not to be confused with a BK “soon”). You can infact buy the components now but the software/stc is still being worked on. When I asked about variance between different aircraft stc cost he said it is based on how hard / how much time spent getting the approval. He expected the spread to be very small between a 172 and a Mooney. 

Talked to the emag booth. Off memory the price for a single mag replacement was under 3k for a 4 banger which included a discount for 1/2 price fine wire plugs. The 6 cyl Price was reasonable as well. I don’t feel I talked to the right person there because details of the single unit vs both mag replacement were very vague.  I’ll head back today with better questions. 

At emags pls ask if there will be a certified stc

And since the BK booth sounds like it is not that busy, can someone check on the KFC 230 AeroCruze to see if there is a single replacement for both the KC 191 and KC 192, or will there be one for each prior part number? As I have the KC 191 (non-FD) but now connected to an Aspen PFD, would there be a way to have the FD output for the Aspen?

TIA

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 7:51 PM, aviatoreb said:

Go to AmSafe and ask them if anyone has installed their new universal airbag seatbelt in a Mooney yet and if yes how long to install (or anyone here?).

I spent some time at the AmSafe booth and went over the entire system with the rep.  I neglected to ask their quoted installation time.  But it is a simple install.  I wouldn't expect more than 3-4hrs.  They did mention they expected a price increase at the end of the year.

When you consider it's an airbag system and it includes new belts with inertia reels, it's a bargain.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

I spent some time at the AmSafe booth and went over the entire system with the rep.  I neglected to ask their quoted installation time.  But it is a simple install.  I wouldn't expect more than 3-4hrs.  They did mention they expected a price increase at the end of the year.

When you consider it's an airbag system and it includes new belts with inertia reels, it's a bargain.

Cheers,

Dan

When you consider the cost of an ambulance ride (in my case) or in your case a new tooth, its a bargain.

• Like 4