Aspen’s new hardware!

Update:

To use the max without the need for a backup instruments, or to add AI redundancy, the aspen needs to connect to a certified panel mount gps the internal one won’t work. Also both displays need to be upgraded to allow backup removal (you cannot retain the old mfd). 

The upgrade does use some remanufactured parts. You can send your unit in to be upgraded or preorder an already converted unit for a swap job. 

• Like 3

On 7/26/2018 at 8:34 AM, DXB said:

I hear you - I was still seriously considering the 6k ESI-500 for install this fall, but it is feeling silly now that a versatile new mfd from Aspen works as backup too for ~8k hardware.  Big downside of going the 2nd Aspen route is that it will leave me with yet another database to purchase and update after spending more money than I planned for the install.  Also I don't have Ads-b in for panel to take full advantage of the Aspen mfd,  so I probably won't go that route in the end.  I'll  just put in the Sandia AI, add a stormscope, and  tear out my vac if no other options emerge.  I also would have  updated the Aspen PFD now if Garmin would let the G5 serve as standby for it and not just the G500s - an utterly silly paperwork barrier.  The G5 would likely leave more future integration possibilities in place than the Sandia, given that I have a GTN650.  

Last year Seattle avionics offered *lifetime* database updates for $800.00 (the aspen mfd is on the list of devices that work with their data as downloads).  I bought a second aspen display (1000mfd) after I bought the lifetime database updates.... haven’t had it installed yet- but soon.

Aren’t Garmin’s map updates something like 500 bucks a year?  Just sayin.....

oh, and I’ll be upgrading to max displays- this is huge! 

Edited by M016576
  • Like 2

Thread grab: Barry LaBlanc of Genesys/STEC who helped sponsor an event at the Mooney Caravan tent, told me when I went by the Genesys booth that he's only picked up one more PO toward the 15 needed for the STEC 3100 to get Mooneys in the queue for certification. If you have a legacy STEC, any STEC, please ask your/any avionics shop to put an po in for the 3100. If you do not have a favorite shop just contact Barry and he'll help you do it. Even if you do not expect to carry through when the time comes to fish or cut bait please help the Mooney community out by placing the PO to get Barry to 15. When the Mooneys are certified and the product is ready you'll have time (3 weeks?) to decide whether to confirm the purchase with a (10%) deposit or cancel. No hard feelings either way. I can provide Barry's contact info if you can't find it but he has been on MS promoting this need several times. For what it's worth, I think my next panel improvements with be the 3100 (I have a 20 year old STEC50) and the Aspen MAX upgrade. I will then be completely satisfied. Until... 

• Like 4

For what it's worth, I think my next panel improvements with be the 3100 (I have a 20 year old STEC50) and the Aspen MAX upgrade. I will then be completely satisfied. Until... 

Spoken like a true upgrade addict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Thread grab: Barry LaBlanc of Genesys/STEC who helped sponsor an event at the Mooney Caravan tent, told me when I went by the Genesys booth that he's only picked up one more PO toward the 15 needed for the STEC 3100 to get Mooneys in the queue for certification. If you have a legacy STEC, any STEC, please ask your/any avionics shop to put an po in for the 3100. If you do not have a favorite shop just contact Barry and he'll help you do it. Even if you do not expect to carry through when the time comes to fish or cut bait please help the Mooney community out by placing the PO to get Barry to 15. When the Mooneys are certified and the product is ready you'll have time (3 weeks?) to decide whether to confirm the purchase with a (10%) deposit or cancel. No hard feelings either way. I can provide Barry's contact info if you can't find it but he has been on MS promoting this need several times. For what it's worth, I think my next panel improvements with be the 3100 (I have a 20 year old STEC50) and the Aspen MAX upgrade. I will then be completely satisfied. Until... 

Bob, 

Genesys had a nice booth with a good amount of traffic through it (more than S&F). 

I like the system but I’m probably going another direction. I understand your desire to get on the list but I don’t think it’s in good form to sign up without the intention of installing the system.  I hope we can get the interested parties to get the job done. 

On 7/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, amillet said:

I did.  I was told it would be certified in Nov. 2019.  I said I’ve been hearing that for 5 years.  The rep corrected me.  It has only been 4 years

Correction. Nov. 2018 is what he said

Anyone see if Nvidea is the supplier of video chips used in these devices...?

Nvidea is running very strongly in the high speed, low current chip market that is making its way into all types of displays...

If so... speed and low temps can be expected....

Compared to 10 years ago... it is highly likely that any new chips will do a remarkable job with data processing and display... lots of benefits from the auto world...

Old Aspens were never laggy... nobody has acceptance for that.   To keep from lagging, some capabilities were not offered...

As for high temp displays... enjoy the old BK radios...  hot enough to warm your lunch in winter....  :)

PP thoughts only, not selling any Nvidea stock....

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2018 at 11:43 PM, MIm20c said:

From S&F the E5 does not require a backup AI because (similar to the G5) the remaining 6 pack needs to stay. It’s a great feature that the 2000 system can work alone. I wonder if a new PFD max and old mfd1000 can meet the requirement?

No,  you cannot mix and max the systems.  If you opt to go max then all units must be Aspen Max units.  The max units are totally different, although they may look similar at a glance

On 7/23/2018 at 11:43 PM, MIm20c said:

From S&F the E5 does not require a backup AI because (similar to the G5) the remaining 6 pack needs to stay. It’s a great feature that the 2000 system can work alone. I wonder if a new PFD max and old mfd1000 can meet the requirement?

No,  you cannot mix and max old and new Aspen systems.  If you opt to go max then all units must be Aspen Max units.  The max units are totally different, although they may look similar at a glance.  Also to note, if you have the old Century Auto Pilot System, which uses the old fashion steam GYRO to drive the auto pilot ---  My friend just got 2 Aspen Max 1000 units and going to remove and sell his Century III auto pilot system and attitude gyro.  Also he is removing his last vacuum instrument and  vacuum pump to get rid of the entire vacuum system.  He says you can use the Aspen EA100 to drive the old legeacy system (he is doing that for now) until TruTrak get their STC for the Mooney.  From there, he will remove the EA100 since the Aspens can drive the TruTrak autopilot system without the EA100.  

If you are interested in the unit and want to make arranagements for the Century / attitude Gyro --- send me a PM and I will rely it to him.

Edited by Mark Pavinich

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2018 at 6:24 AM, PTK said:

The KI300 fills a very specific need with no competition at its price point. Those without that need wouldn't consider it. And I'm sure BK has run the numbers and knows where to price it and how many they can potentially sell.

Another sage bit of advice from our own @PTK

If you have a Bendix-King KI-300 or Sandia SAI-340A Electronic AI, you're grounded for IFR and night VFR because they're failing at an FAA-alarming rate, often without failure indications (red X's).  See the new Emergency AD 2020-18-51.

https://pic.aopa.org/discuss/viewtopic/167/1933

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Another sage bit of advice from our own @PTK

If you have a Bendix-King KI-300 or Sandia SAI-340A Electronic AI, you're grounded for IFR and night VFR because they're failing at an FAA-alarming rate, often without failure indications (red X's).  See the new Emergency AD 2020-18-51.

https://pic.aopa.org/discuss/viewtopic/167/1933

Damn Swiss watches. :D