Fly with a bad fuel pump?

On 7/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, Culver LFA said:

My opinion, the question is do you go with a 62B26931 pump or find a LW-15473 before flying the airplane?

Ordering LW15473 now... (When I added that item to my ACS cart, the cart / order confirmation links to the 62B26931 pump page ... Sent them an email to clarify, hoping they send the right part!)

Edited by chrixxer

22 hours ago, MB65E said:

Chris, what has been changed so far. 

Just the servo? 

Make sure the pump is the correct one and supports FI aircraft and not Carbed aircraft. 

-Matt

So far, just the servo (and the ram air seal bit removed from the throttle body). The mechanical pump currently on the plane is the original.

24 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

Ordering LW15473 now... (When I added that item to my ACS cart, the cart / order confirmation links to the 62B26931 pump page ... Sent them an email to clarify, hoping they send the right part!)

You may want to call them vs just a note.   Lycoming cross references the pump to the 62B26931.  Tell them you don’t want that pump.  Your mechanic may also want to check the servo screen again, since you ran the plane with that pump.  You want to be sure none of the diaphragm got loose from the pump....although maybe that can wait till your at the hangar.  Hope this gets you airborne.

19 hours ago, Culver LFA said:

I saw that they have a Tempest overhauled pump listed at a much more reasonable CB price: http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/TEMPESTfuelpumpLYC.php

Call and ask for Nick Wood at the counter, he’s a good guy and will make sure you get the right part.

Thanks; it was too late to do anything about it yesterday, and last night I got a notice the part had shipped and would be here today. Sigh. Confirmed via email with AircraftSpruce that it's the 62B26931; I'm going to return it (though my mechanic says the only difference is the spring that pushes on the diaphragm, and he can swap it out) and get the Tempest, per this information from ACS:

The LW15473 is no longer available. The page listed 07-00705 as a LW15473, but is a 62B26931 which is the approved equivalent replacement per Lycoming Service Letter L255A. I have updated that webpage to accurately show it as a 62B26931. The only option would be an overhauled unit through Tempest. 

1 hour ago, chrixxer said:

Thanks; it was too late to do anything about it yesterday, and last night I got a notice the part had shipped and would be here today. Sigh. Confirmed via email with AircraftSpruce that it's the 62B26931; I'm going to return it (though my mechanic says the only difference is the spring that pushes on the diaphragm, and he can swap it out) and get the Tempest, per this information from ACS:

The LW15473 is no longer available. The page listed 07-00705 as a LW15473, but is a 62B26931 which is the approved equivalent replacement per Lycoming Service Letter L255A. I have updated that webpage to accurately show it as a 62B26931. The only option would be an overhauled unit through Tempest. 

I'm pretty sure you can still buy the LW pump, even though they it is not available, they just have to insist on it.  That said, go with the Tempest pump, after they lose some sales, maybe they will help fix this.  Disappointed that Spruce also did not update their site to say it is not compatible with Mooney pressures. Had suggested it to them too.  This whole pump situation is frustrating.  Wish Mooney would take it on and make our lives easier.  They could update the TCDS and make the problem go away....guess enough folks have tested it for them...lol.

12 minutes ago, takair said:

I'm pretty sure you can still buy the LW pump, even though they it is not available, they just have to insist on it.  That said, go with the Tempest pump, after they lose some sales, maybe they will help fix this.  Disappointed that Spruce also did not update their site to say it is not compatible with Mooney pressures. Had suggested it to them too.  This whole pump situation is frustrating.  Wish Mooney would take it on and make our lives easier.  They could update the TCDS and make the problem go away....guess enough folks have tested it for them...lol.

The Mooney TCDS does not have fuel pressure limits, and the Lycoming TCDS is a much larger range.  I think the fuel pressure limits are in the Mooney maintenance manuals.  Am I wrong?

8 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The Mooney TCDS does not have fuel pressure limits, and the Lycoming TCDS is a much larger range.  I think the fuel pressure limits are in the Mooney maintenance manuals.  Am I wrong?

Pretty sure you are correct.  It's been a year since I went through this.  The Mooney markings are on the gauge and in the flight/operators manual, so theoretically an even easier change.  Not sure if it is in the maintenance manual.