Best paint shop in the South?

I remember I was able to find references to some great Florida paint shop here, but suddenly, I find nothing through the search today.  I am located in Atlanta. After a big hailstorm yesterday that left a few dents on my plane and the fact that old paint shows its age in different spots of the airplane, I am about to start looking for the best paint shop in South. Now, having heard horror stories about consequences of doing it dirt cheap at some .. well, not too reputable shops, I am looking for quality job and quality paint that will last. I can take  my Mooney to any of neighboring states like Fl, TN etc, but am not eager to fly more than 3 hrs from Atlanta. Any advice? Recommendations? Experience?

thank you guys in advance !:)

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

Crider in Mena, Arkansas.  He is my cousin, but I am not biased.

Ah Crider, flew there myself to check it out.  No paint booth was the first clue, the photos of their work were the final straw. 

IMG_4032 (1).jpg

IMG_4036 (1).jpg

IMG_4037 (1).jpg

IMG_4040 (1).jpg

We're in row 524 North Forty with the Mooney Caravan. Come by and check it out this week. My paint job - '66E - (Hawk) is 3 weeks old. Took him 3-1/2 months but he's very thorough. I think the price is very competitive for the quality and attention to detail. $12,500. was what he quoted me in late 2017. That was for white and four trim colors, all Imron, all but the white are metallics. Joe is a classy guy. He should be in a new, bigger shop by November and be more efficient. 

629-1.jpg

628-2.jpg

628-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kommers said:

These of you who recently painted your planes at Hawk in Tampa, do you mind sharing with me the ballpark figure for external paint job (strip/sand and paint)?

thank you

My current was painted there in 2016.  Didnt own the plane then so I dont know what it cost.  Have some filiform corrosion in several spots, especially where fastners are located.  Based on what  I see I would avoid this shop, I had a previous Mooney painted about 9 years ago at Sunquest in Everret, Wa, was $15k.  That paint job really held up.  When you find a shop see if you can look at some done there that are 4 or 5 years old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Ah Crider, flew there myself to check it out.  No paint booth was the first clue, the photos of their work were the final straw. 

IMG_4032 (1).jpg

IMG_4036 (1).jpg

IMG_4037 (1).jpg

IMG_4040 (1).jpg

Thanks for the update jet.  My first cousin was the current proprietors Dad and passed away about a year ago.  Sad to see this report.

I'm on the west coast and had bids as high as 19,500 at my home airport in Lincoln, CA  to 10,500.  I went with Corona Paint for 10,500  in Corona, CA about 3 years ago and these guys are the best.  I had a sketch and colors I wanted and they did a Bang up job. I'm very happy with the work.  He text me photos of the process every step of the way since it wasn't at my home airport.  It took about 3 weeks to get it done.  

IMG_20161231_123151300_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161231_123126123.jpg

IMG_20161231_123031039.jpg

IMG_20161008_122359544_TOP.jpg

IMG_20160826_122717031.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

We're in row 524 North Forty with the Mooney Caravan. Come by and check it out this week. My paint job - '66E - (Hawk) is 3 weeks old. Took him 3-1/2 months but he's very thorough. I think the price is very competitive for the quality and attention to detail. $12,500. was what he quoted me in late 2017. That was for white and four trim colors, all Imron, all but the white are metallics. Joe is a classy guy. He should be in a new, bigger shop by November and be more efficient. 

629-1.jpg

628-2.jpg

628-1.jpg

Bob, If I were you I would start watching carefully over my shoulder at all times. I would be afraid someone would try to bump me off, to get a shot at the purchase from your estate.

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2018 at 9:59 AM, kommers said:

thank you all for your input. Based on your feedback, I chose Hawk at Tampa Exec and already scheduled this project to begin in December (they are booked until beginning of Dec)

Excellent decision :)

On 7/22/2018 at 9:29 PM, Bob_Belville said:

During a 3-1/2 month project what do you guys do to prevent corrosion in the engine?   Under normal circumstances in humid Florida that's not something I'd like to expose my engine to.  How is this dealt with?

5 hours ago, pwnel said:

During a 3-1/2 month project what do you guys do to prevent corrosion in the engine?   Under normal circumstances in humid Florida that's not something I'd like to expose my engine to.  How is this dealt with?

In my case, since I did not realize up front that it was going to take 3.5 months, I made no special arrangements, whatever they might have been, for the engine. I frankly doubt that a very occasional period of idleness means near term death by corroded cam... we used to call these engines "bulletproof". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

In my case, since I did not realize up front that it was going to take 3.5 months, I made no special arrangements, whatever they might have been, for the engine. I frankly doubt that a very occasional period of idleness means near term death by corroded cam... we used to call these engines "bulletproof". 

Would be interested to see the iron content in your oil analysis before and after that period of disuse.  I would minimally "pickle" the engine before going to Hawk (which certainly seems to be the most recommended shop around)

Well, I send oil to Blackstone at every change and it will be due when we get home from AirVenture. I use CamGuard.

Would be interested to see the iron content in your oil analysis before and after that period of disuse.  I would minimally "pickle" the engine before going to Hawk (which certainly seems to be the most recommended shop around)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Well, I send oil to Blackstone at every change and it will be due when we get home from AirVenture. I use CamGuard.

would love to see results - maybe I'm unnecessarily worrying about this - or been reading too much Mike Busch.  

Your plane is a stunner though and I'm planning to have Hawk do mine over the winter months towards end of 2019 myself. (Seems he's already full this winter).

• Like 1