Do hubcaps offer any advantages?

FloridaMan

The hubcaps my hangar elf manufactured have a provision for adding air without taking them off. I have an adapter/extender that temporarily screws onto the stem after popping the button out.

Nose hubcap front.JPG

Main hubcap.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

The hubcaps my hangar elf manufactured have a provision for adding air without taking them off. I have an adapter/extender that temporarily screws onto the stem after popping the button out.

Nose hubcap front.JPG

Main hubcap.JPG

Don.  Do you have 90 degree stems?  If so, which tubes do you have?  I don’t think this would work the way my stems are.

2 hours ago, takair said:

Don.  Do you have 90 degree stems?  If so, which tubes do you have?  I don’t think this would work the way my stems are.

No, my stems are straight. I do not know what brand of tubes I have. But the angle the stem sticks out made my hangar elf to have to do some measuring, so the hole in the hubcap lines up with the stem. Hence the inch + extender.

Don

Welcome aboard, Lance, there is a published FAA list of about 23 things a PP/owner is allowed to do on his plane... some are self explanatory, some can make you shake your head...

Are you familiar? A search around here can probably find it...

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Lance, there is a published FAA list of about 23 things a PP/owner is allowed to do on his plane... some are self explanatory, some can make you shake your head...

They don't mention drilling holes in STCed hubcaps. I'm fairly familiar with the list, but not with STC requirements.

When I first bought my Mooney, I wanted chrome hubcaps, but was advised against getting them as they retained heat and kept me from inspecting the bearings. So eleven years later, I still don't have them . . . .

I got my hub cap modified once... lost a cover bolt.... the sheet metal folded back... under the force of air at Vlo...

Didn’t notice anything until putting the plane away...

Glad to have good tubes that keep the air in longer than a month...  :)

Hey Lance are you familiar with air stop tubes?

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, Lance Link said:

I've thought about just drilling a well-placed and suitably sized hole, but I am hesitant to mess around too much with things I don't know anything about.  Anybody see a problem with this idea?  Might violate an STC?

Although it is probably not strictly legal, I would not hesitate to ask my hangar elf to drill a hole in a hubcap. The caps on mine are from Home Depot or Lowes, and have fingers that snap into the hole. Not knowing how thick your hubcaps are, I don't know whether this will work for you. That "well placed" hole is pretty important, and not too easy to calculate. The bigger the hole, the less of a problem it is, but the uglier the plug will look. My elf cut several cardboard discs, and kept moving the hole until it lined up correctly. You might have to buy the extender from Pep Boys, etc. first, to verify the hole location.

• Like 1

It's just another case of unnecessary STC, as adding hubcaps is certainly not a major modificatjon per the FARs. But if you buy STCed parts to install, you gotta follow the instructions and file the Form 337, Major Modification paperwork. Estupido! But you can always do like Don did, and make your own (owner-made parts are OK, since new Mooneys all have hubcaps).

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:07 PM, carusoam said:

Hey Lance are you familiar with air stop tubes?

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys.  Yes I am familiar with the air stop tubes.  I read about them on Mooneyspace!  That is probably the best, simplest and least expensive solution, although not quite perfect as ideally I'd like to know how much air is in the tires.  The STC thing is the biggest sticky wicket, not something permitted in the FARs I realize.  I figure if someone gets an STC for something, me altering it willy-nilly is not quite kosher.  Although as far as taking liberties with such things, I guess drilling a hole in a hub cap may be pretty minor.  But I just don't know what kind of unintended consequences might result.  I don't know what those spinning wheels are doing when they tuck up into the wells.  Except getting tangled up in the bird's nest.  Perhaps a mechanic can tell me if there is a hazard or a liability risk.  I'll have to come to judgement on this.  Ultimately I'd like to paint or powder coat the wheels and get rid of the caps, and let form follow function.  (The wheels are in really bad cosmetic shape).  But of course that means....money.  

Incidentally, this site has been great and tremendously helpful since I decided to buy a Mooney, and looked for one to purchase.  Now I just have to figure out how to quote and respond!  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 2:55 PM, DonMuncy said:

Although it is probably not strictly legal, I would not hesitate to ask my hangar elf to drill a hole in a hubcap. The caps on mine are from Home Depot or Lowes, and have fingers that snap into the hole. Not knowing how thick your hubcaps are, I don't know whether this will work for you. That "well placed" hole is pretty important, and not too easy to calculate. The bigger the hole, the less of a problem it is, but the uglier the plug will look. My elf cut several cardboard discs, and kept moving the hole until it lined up correctly. You might have to buy the extender from Pep Boys, etc. first, to verify the hole location.

Could your elf provide a link for the hubcaps it found?

2 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

Could your elf provide a link for the hubcaps it found?

He made them himself. He is kind of proud of them. The mains are flat, and easy. The bulge for the nose wheel is a little more difficult. Details on request.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, DonMuncy said:

He made them himself. He is kind of proud of them. The mains are flat, and easy. The bulge for the nose wheel is a little more difficult. Details on request.

I don't have any mechanically inclined hangar elves...I'm stuck with dirty tires.  I should get some better elves.