Almost done

2 minutes ago, Don Heene said:

Very nice, please post the finished pics when you get done.  I would look forward to see them.  I'm looking into an engine monitor and may have to redo my panel to fit it in.  

Here is my completed panel in my F.

378379571_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.0d621d7304781ba05addcb46730c2f7a.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Here is my completed panel in my F.

378379571_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.0d621d7304781ba05addcb46730c2f7a.jpg

I likey!  About how much for the JPI?  Does that L3 show traffic on the Aspen?  I have an Aspen in mine.  I need to get ADSB looking into it.  Got quote at 8,900 to install a Garmin 345 in my 68 C model.  The wing mount for 1,899.00 looks good for the price and 10 mins to install sounds too good to be true.  

Last time I posted a shot of my (steam) panel, someone wisecracked that they thought I had WWII-style battle damage . . . Just because the little flimsy plastic cover cracked into three pieces during IFR recert and had been removed. Replacement parts cost an arm and a leg and must still be trimmed to fit, so I am (slowly) making my own cosmetic panel cover.

1 hour ago, Don Heene said:

I likey!  About how much for the JPI?  Does that L3 show traffic on the Aspen?  I have an Aspen in mine.  I need to get ADSB looking into it.  Got quote at 8,900 to install a Garmin 345 in my 68 C model.  The wing mount for 1,899.00 looks good for the price and 10 mins to install sounds too good to be true.  

Careful!!!  I was just casually looking at the panel @Marauder had built and the next thing I know a whole new co-pilot panel, radios, fuel caps, bladders, antenna, and a lot more.   His pictures are corrupt with some bad avionics bug.  you look at them and poof you start spending lots and lots of money. 

• Like 1

I don’t know the current going rate for the JPIs. There was a price decrease and a special going on when I purchased. One of the guys at Oshkosh can probably share the current show price. On another thread I think people provided some guesses on install time.

As for the GTX-345, that is high for the unit’s I have seen sold around here. Around $6500 installed is the going rate for the non-GPS version. The L-3 9000 standard unit is priced pretty close to the 345 but you do get a GPS built into the box plus the display on the unit.

It is also seamlessly integrated into the Aspen. I like redundancy and having both the Aspens and the L-3 display the traffic and weather is a great redundancy.

869b92d78b88e98b8f3134729e910317.jpg

4d7e7f5330a3607940cfbbcb68378395.jpg

d9ded22e3f1db7406ee016b528b662c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Careful!!!  I was just casually looking at the panel [mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] had built and the next thing I know a whole new co-pilot panel, radios, fuel caps, bladders, antenna, and a lot more.   His pictures are corrupt with some bad avionics bug.  you look at them and poof you start spending lots and lots of money. 

I think this tactic is applied by drug dealers in their trade.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I don’t know the current going rate for the JPIs. There was a price decrease and a special going on when I purchased. One of the guys at Oshkosh can probably share the current show price. On another thread I think people provided some guesses on install time.

As for the GTX-345, that is high for the unit’s I have seen sold around here. Around $6500 installed is the going rate for the non-GPS version. The L-3 9000 standard unit is priced pretty close to the 345 but you do get a GPS built into the box plus the display on the unit.

It is also seamlessly integrated into the Aspen. I like redundancy and having both the Aspens and the L-3 display the traffic and weather is a great redundancy.

869b92d78b88e98b8f3134729e910317.jpg

4d7e7f5330a3607940cfbbcb68378395.jpg

d9ded22e3f1db7406ee016b528b662c8.jpg

Thanks for the info.  You definitely have a panel to die for.  I have 2 Garmin 430's one with Waas  and I like your panel lay out better than mine.   I will check on the L-3.  I like that screen display for traffic also.  If it's the same price as the Garmin I would go with the L-3.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  You definitely have a panel to die for.  I have 2 Garmin 430's one with Waas  and I like your panel lay out better than mine.   I will check on the L-3.  I like that screen display for traffic also.  If it's the same price as the Garmin I would go with the L-3.  

If you listen to their free seminar, they will add in the ATAS traffic warning system. Pretty impressive and I have yet to hear it call out traffic that wasn’t a real threat.

I opted for the TAS (active traffic) option as well. This allows me to see transponder only traffic that may not be picked up by radar. It is built into the box and can be activated later.

This is an example. The brown target on the Aspen displays is a plane on the parallel taxiway. Not an active threat but clearly being tracked by the L-3.

dc72fa73ed37ce4711422068f17de3e3.jpg

I also have the Lynx 9000 with active traffic, it’s a great unit.  It was expensive to buy and install as there are fewer avionics shops here.  I have it displaying on my Aspen, 430 & 480.  

Clarence

On 7/21/2018 at 11:44 PM, carusoam said:

Lookin’ good!

F36BEA67-BF8B-4842-A22D-4EE55AAD427C.jpeg

What's interesting here is in the '75 there is a good 3" between the defroster and the front of the panel.  The door frame is about the same place as the panel in yours.   So maybe that is where they add the 3" between the earlier and later models.   Still hanging on for the Skyview. My IT background just likes integration.

What's interesting here is in the '75 there is a good 3" between the defroster and the front of the panel.  The door frame is about the same place as the panel in yours.   So maybe that is where they add the 3" between the earlier and later models.   Still hanging on for the Skyview. My IT background just likes integration.
Isn't that cause of a sloped windshield

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:44 PM, carusoam said:

Lookin’ good!

F36BEA67-BF8B-4842-A22D-4EE55AAD427C.jpeg

Well I thought I was close.  Been working and balancing the job with this remodel and ran into the biggest gotcha ever....  I did it myself and could only laugh!!!  The CDI is clocked 90 degrees off.  How in the world did I do that?  So off to cut another panel.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to enjoy a hobby. 

• Like 1