Riddle me this

When the mechanic went to remove the fuel servo this morning (the rebuilt replacement finally arrived yesterday; ordered this past Sunday from Aircraft Spruce, but it's not an "in stock" part, had to be shipped from the factory), he found this ~4x1" piece of rubber inside the throttle body. (The penny is for size reference.) Any idea where it came from? Assuming this was the cause of, or at least significantly contributed to, my sudden complete loss of power a couple of weeks ago. 1969 M20F, IO-360-A1A.

55389621037__AA8FA88D-CD8F-4CD5-A67B-D436020916D5.jpeg

Edited by chrixxer
  • Sad 1

Looks Mooney painted.  Seems bigger than the Ram air door unless maybe on the backside somewhere.   There is an alternate spring loaded intake on top of the ram air path.  Could be FOD.   Probably want to pull the filter and have a look around.   Good news is you have a new fuel servo so you can not worry about that.

The ram air door seal is riveted between 2 metal skins which are the screwed to the steel ram air axle.  The material of the ram air seal normally overhangs the metal skins by about 1/4”, so I doubt this is what you’ve found.

It looks more like an old piece of forward baffle sealing tape which has found its way into the induction system somehow.

Clarence

On 7/21/2018 at 3:20 PM, chrixxer said:

When the mechanic went to remove the fuel servo this morning he found this ~4x1" piece of rubber inside the throttle body.

Didn't you just have an incident with a piece of an O-ring somewhere it wasn't supposed to be?

Also, could this piece of rubber have been seen through the ram air opening? Possibly with a borescope?

Didn't you just have an incident with a piece of an O-ring somewhere it wasn't supposed to be?
Also, could this piece of rubber have been seen through the ram air opening? Possibly with a borescope?

I had an o-ring leaking issue with the flap valve on the E, but it was where it was supposed to be, just, failing.

As to the second part, I don't know, I've asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

Mechanic says it fell off the ram air door, details I don't know yet...

Thanks, this is an important detail given those of us flying 'vintage' Mooneys. I frankly can count on one hand the number of times I have used 'ram air', more out of curiosity than necessity.

Sounds like during annual would be a good time to have a look down in there.

Another reason to take a look- my ap told me of a case where paper wasps had made their way through a small gap and built a sizable nest. When the owner did a run up it broke loose and partially blocked the intake.  Took a while to diagnose   - another one of them head scratchers 

On 7/22/2018 at 8:42 PM, HRM said:

Sounds like during annual would be a good time to have a look down in there.

Probably optional on many budget “Annuals” some people here boast about.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Probably optional on many budget “Annuals” some people here boast about.

Clarence

#2 under "Fuel System":

2.Check power boost system for proper door operation & seal for leaks (M20E,F,J).

That doesn't say to stick a borescope down in there and look around. Of course, a scope would also give you a good look at the inside of the rubber coupling, I think they disintegrate over time.

1 hour ago, HRM said:

#2 under "Fuel System":

2.Check power boost system for proper door operation & seal for leaks (M20E,F,J).

That doesn't say to stick a borescope down in there and look around. Of course, a scope would also give you a good look at the inside of the rubber coupling, I think they disintegrate over time.

It is on the Mooney list, but it makes me wonder when I read many post of things like this happening.  In my opinion it speaks to lack of a full inspection.  

Clarence

2 hours ago, HRM said:

#2 under "Fuel System":

One option on the J is to delete the ram air entirely.   Mine was kind of janky so rather than spend any money on repairs I got the delete kit and got rid of it.   No regrets.   Cleans up the space inside the cowl a bit, too, and there's one less cable running through there.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

In my opinion it speaks to lack of a full inspection.  

I'm shocked! I have always assumed that the A&P corps was above reproach and of stalwart honesty and work ethic.

<< cue crackle of lightning and distant rumble of thunder >>

12 hours ago, Pictreed said:

Here's what mine looks like in place

image.jpeg.baaa53dcb2bd7752c7b2c8eae781739d.jpeg

It has been a while sense I worked on one of those, but it looks like yours is missing the bottom part of the rubber. It looks torn along the bottom edge.

I think the rubber is supposed to extend below the plate and slides in a slot in the main part of the cowl. This closes the gap below the door. The part missing on yours is the part that came off on Chrixxer's

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It has been a while sense I worked on one of those, but it looks like yours is missing the bottom part of the rubber. It looks torn along the bottom edge.

I think the rubber is supposed to extend below the plate and slides in a slot in the main part of the cowl. This closes the gap below the door. The part missing on yours is the part that came off on Chrixxer's

Need to get a borescope and see if it's down in there somewhere, waiting to cause trouble.

Need to get a borescope and see if it's down in there somewhere, waiting to cause trouble.

I’m headed to the airport this evening. Think I will run my borescope down behind my ram door to see what’s there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro