Best Cheap ADSB Solution

cliffy

4 hours ago, Van Thornock said:

Installing a uAvionix Tail Beacon in 1982 Mooney M20K. I would like to continue to use the white tail marker light and strobe. Could previous white tail marker and strobe be relocated 3 feet forward and under the tail area near the skid bar rather than not having it at all. 

That sounds like a case for a belly beacon.

• Like 1

Probably can't relocate due to angle of coverage requirements   Strobe pulse might also interfere with the ADSB through EMF

You will have a white LED tail light though.

As mentioned you are limited to below 18,000' with uAvionix ADSB

Yes I saw the law suit was settled  uAvionix received a patent on their technology thus negating Garmin's claim IIRC

This thread says

Best Cheap ADSB Solution

I prefer to use the term, "least expensive".  I didn't consider nearly $2K as cheap for the ADS-B solution  (uAvionix Skybeacon)! 

Kinda like when folks say that so and so gas station has the cheapest fuel in town.  I also don't think "cheapest" is the best term for that either................I prefer to use the term "least expensive"...........and for the wonderful privilege B) of living here on the left coast [specifically the Central Coast] of the peoples republic of California, I don't feel $4.35 p/gal is CHEAP!!................like me ! :lol:

3 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

This thread says

Best Cheap ADSB Solution

I prefer to use the term, "least expensive".  I didn't consider nearly $2K as cheap for the ADS-B solution  (uAvionix Skybeacon)! 

Kinda like when folks say that so and so gas station has the cheapest fuel in town.  I also don't think "cheapest" is the best term for that either................I prefer to use the term "least expensive"...........and for the wonderful privilege B) of living here on the left coast [specifically the Central Coast] of the peoples republic of California, I don't feel $4.35 p/gal is CHEAP!!................like me ! :lol:

As a frugal individual myself, I agree with your sentiment. However, $4.35 is about the going rate for avgas here in LA [Lower Alabama]. Gas for the car just went up to almost $2.259!  :lol:  :D  The joys of living near the Gulf Coast!

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

As a frugal individual myself, I agree with your sentiment. However, $4.35 is about the going rate for avgas here in LA [Lower Alabama]. Gas for the car just went up to almost $2.259!  :lol:  :D  The joys of living near the Gulf Coast!

$4.90 here 

13 hours ago, Van Thornock said:

Installing a uAvionix Tail Beacon in 1982 Mooney M20K. I would like to continue to use the white tail marker light and strobe. Could previous white tail marker and strobe be relocated 3 feet forward and under the tail area near the skid bar rather than not having it at all. 

Welcome aboard Van.

You would have to explain what you are trying to get by mounting the old system 90° differently from it’s intended mounting direction...

The new system meets the current requirements...

Keeping the old system mounted in a different place may add some light, but it will be aimed in an odd direction...

Then there is the STC/documents for the old light... that may have requirements like where and how it needs to be mounted... and how it needs to be wired...

The chance of it working out OK, on a certified airplane, using internet advice... check with your mechanic before going too far...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I didn’t see this thread until now and haven’t read all of it, but I just wanted to comment how I’ve really been happy with my trig TT22.  

I had an old narco at50 that it replaced.  

Tt22 has built in altitude encoder and adsb out.  Super simple wiring that can be put in by a&p (Tso). And it takes up very minimal panel space.  I saved about 4lbs weight.    I bought it for $1850 shipped iirc.     I did buy a $125 peregrine airspeed switch for it too though.  So I got a new modern transponder and adsb out in one shot.  

Edited by Browncbr1
  • Like 1