Best Cheap ADSB Solution

cliffy

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

Sorry SHU, But I am not responsible for expensive aviation, but I am a realist.  $1,300 is a pot full of money, but unfortunately if you are going to fly, expenses of that amount and even higher are going to pop up as part of the picture.  If your budget is that tight you probably would serve you and your family well by finding another hobby.  Do I like it?  Nope, but it is what is and I am not the one that made it that way.

The way I see it, DIAG, is that if you are going to tell people that they are wrong for complaining about things being pointlessly expensive, then you are contributing to the problem instead of the solution.

I NEVER  said that anyone is wrong for complaining about prices.  Please show me where I said that and I will apologize for it.  I politely request that you reread what I wrote.

There is probably no one that belly aches more about prices than I do.  That was not my point.  My point was that flying is expensive.  I don’t like it any more than anyone else, but when someone is so strapped that a little over 1AMU causes them to get rid of their plane, they probably were already at a point they should have been out long before for their own good.

I politely request that you don’t misquote what I wrote.  If I was not sufficiently clear with the message I was trying to convey, I offer my apologies.

• Like 1

Since you are probably using the $600.00 ipad with the FF.....  I question the CB status...    What are you up to 4 subscriptions?  If the shoe fits :-)

Close, 5 subscriptions, but you can combine the two Garmin Pilots as one. One for the Garmin Pilot basic, one for the Garmin Pilot IFR, one for the GTN, one for Aspen Nav package and one for the Aspen chart subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My little window just has some rusted cap nuts.   One day I think I should replace with stainless or chrome.   But your solution would probably get me a couple knots back

image.png.bd71ebf82004ced3ce387f6b2c37920b.png

You got plenty of choices at Lowe’s aviation department.

2abe60df55230f12f4f54fbfaf06c3e7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Close, 5 subscriptions, but you can combine the two Garmin Pilots as one. One for the Garmin Pilot basic, one for the Garmin Pilot IFR, one for the GTN, one for Aspen Nav package and one for the Aspen chart subscription.

Boy!!  $$$$$

My CB self has a single Jepp subs riotion for my G430W. When I use a tablet, it's Avare. Plus i get 4 bound sets of Approach Plates and three Sectionals (from Joe Pilot; sectionals run about $9 each including postage since I subscribed; Plates just went up, but are still less with shipping).

• Like 1

Of course for you high altitude guys, If you have a WAAS GPS source like a 430W-530W or similar, one easy solution might just be the $2400 KT-74 transponder ADSB capable transponder. It's uses the KT-76/KT-78 tray and will simply slide in and work (for now) 

Just swap it out for now and when 2020 comes, hook up the GPS and Squat switch (or pitot pressure switch) and it's good to go. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 6:08 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Yea. These solutions require a good working transponder. According to our avionics Guy if your transponder is older and not putting out good power they have a hard time getting the various non -transponder solutions to work. That’s the main reason I’m thinking of just going 345 since I’ll probably be due for a transponder. 

Robert 

That’s why I was planning to go 345.  Then my transponder literally blew up (faceplate cracked off in flight) so I landed, and called my avionics guy, and pulled the trigger on the  345 installation.  Love ADSB out and in.

Skybeacon is a GREAT solution.  The other wingtip will be the In receiver that will work with tablet apps. 

For aircraft with wingtips embedded or covered. They are working on a single tail strobe in and out unit too.

For many aircraft this finally certified unit will be a great solution .

-Seth

On 7/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, EricJ said:

Pull a breaker?

ALL ADS-B units are required to be ON at ALL times by 91.225 (f). The OSH notam also repeats that Mode C transponders off or standby, ADS-B ON.  If ATC wants something else, that should have been part of their coordination for mass arrivals. Ask the B2OSH group what they do for their 130+ formation.  Some ADS-B installations do not allow for a circuit breaker, depends on the STC/TSO instructions. Certainly OSH ATC has a solution, since all Fisk and Warbird arrivals are coming in with ADS-B ON, often with less than 1/2 mile separation or in formation.

As for the uAvionics install, their instructions simply say the unit is connected to the Nav light power and then Nav lights must remain on at all times.  Do not confuse with connecting the strobe feature to the strobe power (which obviously needs to be 12V, not the high voltage old strobe tubes used).

Their tail unit is supposedly going to be certified in Oct. which will give options for those with enclosed wingtip nav lights. Unfortunately, the tail unit does not have a strobe feature.

17 hours ago, Seth said:

That’s why I was planning to go 345.  Then my transponder literally blew up (faceplate cracked off in flight) so I landed, and called my avionics guy, and pulled the trigger on the  345 installation.  Love ADSB out and in.

Skybeacon is a GREAT solution.  The other wingtip will be the In receiver that will work with tablet apps. 

For aircraft with wingtips embedded or covered. They are working on a single tail strobe in and out unit too.

For many aircraft this finally certified unit will be a great solution .

-Seth

I have looked on their website for this and can’t find anything on it.  Do you have any further info on it?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, kellym said:

ALL ADS-B units are required to be ON at ALL times by 91.225 (f).  The OSH notam also repeats that Mode C transponders off or standby, ADS-B ON.

This is problematical for those ADS-B out solutions which "piggy-back" on the mode C transponder signal.  As I understand it, no transponder-no ADS-B.  So for operations which call for transponders in stby and ADS-B, I don't know how that could be possible.

Maybe an engineer can explain this apparent hole in the regs?

18 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

As I understand it, no transponder-no ADS-B.

I'm going to guess:

The only part of the ADS-B that is pulled from the transponder is the squawk.  The position, altitude, and all other info necessary(including aircraft info) is part of the ads-b out transponder itself and is broadcast once per second.  I would assume that if the ADS-B transponder doesn't recieve a squawk from the on board transponder(it is off or malfunctioning), it would just broadcast 1200 as per a normal VFR flight. 

I'm basing this also on the fact that there are several ads-b transponders out there that will allow you to broadcast 'anonymously,' skybeacon included, meaning they still broadcast your position, but not your tail number.

As cool and nice as ADS-B is, personally I don't see the old Mode C going anywhere in the near future.  I expect RADAR to continue to be a major part of Terminal area survailence for the foreseeable future.  A backup to the ADS-B system or vice versa.  Enroute center areas however, I definintely can see them discontinuing RADAR service in those areas in favor of ADS-B recieving stations.

• 2 weeks later...

Tail Beacon arrived on Wed.  I installed it on Thursday.  Flew the check profile and got an almost immediate reply from the FAA that my experimental had passed all parameters for ADS-B out.  I guess that means that I can keep flying Jan 1, 2020.

Couldn't have been simpler/easier.  A total wa$te for a plane that rarely leaves the local area and even more rarely flies higher than 1000' AGL, but that's  living under the Mode C veil of class B.

https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeacon/

Getting the FAA report is completely automated.

3 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Did the FAA officially end the rebates? Too bad these weren’t launched a couple years ago.

Unfortunately, yes.  I missed that boat.

Looks like Garmin is pissed at losing market share to a simple-install complete ADS-B out solution.  We'll see if uAviaonix has the resources to defend itself.

28 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Couldn't have been simpler/easier.  A total wa$te for a plane that rarely leaves the local area and even more rarely flies higher than 1000' AGL, but that's  living under the Mode C veil of class B.

Why are you not able to fly higher than 1000' AGL in the Mode C veil?

5 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Why are you not able to fly higher than 1000' AGL in the Mode C veil?

Oh, no.  That's just a personal preference for the type of plane it is:  Low and slow.  Class B starts at 5000 where our airport is.  Really no factor going in, or out unless you head north.

Now that I'm ADS-B, I'm sure ATL will just be falling all over itself encouraging me to enjoy flying inside the class B!  :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Unfortunately, yes.  I missed that boat.

Looks like Garmin is pissed at losing market share to a simple-install complete ADS-B out solution.  We'll see if uAviaonix has the resources to defend itself.

I'm in Tahiti. What's up with this Garmin stuff?

8 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

It's just business. As for uAviaonix having the resources to defend, I doubt it. I predict an early settlement.

• 1 year later...