Best Cheap ADSB Solution

cliffy

Just certified and for sale online or at OSH (I have no connection except I'm buying one)

$1895.00

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimgssl.constantco
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcont
skyBeacon TSO

The most innovative, and easy to install certified ADS-B solution
is now available for order.

One year ago we announced a breakthrough ADS-B solution at AirVenture. The response to the concept was overwhelming. After months of flight testing, independent lab analysis, exhaustive environmental testing, and a lot of all-nighters, the uAvionix team is excited to announce the certified skyBeacon is ready. Units will begin shipping to customers August 2018.

Free t-shirt with your purchase online or at AirVenture!
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcont

Back of t-shirt

Stop by booth 3082 with your order number or purchase a skyBeacon at AirVenture to receive a free t-shirt.*

If we're slow to answer, we've just had our final FAA review today and we're down at the bar (except for Kurt).

The uAvionix Team

*Free t-shirt promotion requires in person pickup at booth 3082 while supplies last.

• Like 2

I love that they finally got approval for this but I am still going to be in the wait and see market. If nothing else does come along and if I decide not to do other avionics upgrades this will be my answer for ADS-B Out. Besides the low overall cost of this option, it leaves the opportunity to wait a bit and if nothing else comes along you could buy it a year from now and install without worrying about the back log at avionics shops and not getting in before the deadline.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Do you still have to run a separate switch into the cockpit? I recall that was a point of contention they had with the faa. 

-Robert

From their website Robert:

Installation Procedures skyBeacon is a wingtip, forward, left position light. The assembly should be mounted as far outboard on the aircraft as practical, parallel to the vertical and horizontal centerlines of the aircraft. Ensure that when mounted, the fin and top of the assembly are free from obstructions. 1. Remove the existing left position light. 2. Detach the power wire(s). 3. Connect the red wire to the switched power wire. 4. skyBeacon may be grounded to the aircraft structure via the mounting screws. However, it may be necessary to connect the black wire to the battery ground. 5. Connect the yellow wire to the strobe wiring, the strobe power supply must be bypassed. Connecting skyBeacon to the strobe power supply will damage the device. 5. Mount skyBeacon using the three supplied 6-32 screws. Changes to the existing position light circuit breaker rating are not required.

The installation manual says to connect the Skybeacon to the nav light power and ground wires. The third wire powers the LED strobe.  

No additional wires to run if you have nav and strobe wires already routed.  Setup configuration is via WiFi and a smartphone app.  

The nav light switch must be on for ADS-B operation.  

This has to be one of the simplest ADS—B out compliance methods for USA only and below 18,000.  

Depending on which wire powers the ADSB, I would think that should be attached to the bypassed strobe.   since I fly with strobes on but not so much nav lights.  How does it know the transponder code to transmit?   Is it reading it from the transponder.   If we are transmitting ADSB what is the point of a transponder code?

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Depending on which wire powers the ADSB, I would think that should be attached to the bypassed strobe.   since I fly with strobes on but not so much nav lights.  How does it know the transponder code to transmit?   Is it reading it from the transponder.   If we are transmitting ADSB what is the point of a transponder code?

Yea. These solutions require a good working transponder. According to our avionics Guy if your transponder is older and not putting out good power they have a hard time getting the various non -transponder solutions to work. That’s the main reason I’m thinking of just going 345 since I’ll probably be due for a transponder. 

Robert 

The Skybeacon and 345 are much different in both functionality and price.  My 345 was over $6,000 installed and that was with a 430 WAAS already in place.  It costs even more if there is not already a WAAS receiver in place. The 345 brings wonderful functionality beyond ADS-B out.  Skybeacon to 345 is an oranges to apples comparison.  They provide solutions for different problems.

The 345 in my Mooney with an in panel certified WAAS GPS brings a LOT to the table and costs a lot to implement.  The Skybeacon is apparently a great solution for someone on a budget who wants to use ForeFlight/Garminpilot and a Stratux for their in functions.  It is looking more and more like my little taildragger will get a Skybeacon and probably not before sometime after January 2020.

And that’s a shame.  Baling out of aviation because of this expense would indicate that for that particular individual this is the straw that broke the camels back.  Owning and operating an airplane is not inexpensive.  If $1,300 can’t be tolerated in the aviation budget, that person probably should have gotten out earlier.

• Like 2

https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/compact-transponder/

Trig are the same components that the Dyon Skyview uses for their remote mount.   The FCC ID is the same for each.  That's not to say that they are interchangeable on the STC, but I would think since the FCC ID is the exact same.    It will still need a GPS for a position source.  But if your transponder is on the way out.

Edited by Yetti

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, MIm20c said:

Great product. I’d rather pay a little more and have a matching strobe/light setup on the other side. 

Per their site, they have one in the works.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Yetti said:

I would think that should be attached to the bypassed strobe.

Yes.  The install manual specifically calls this out.  The high voltage power supply must be bypassed. 

This is my question since I can't find it in the prints, Does the mooney have 1 or 2 high voltage power supplies for the wingtip strobes?

There should be a strobe control unit in each of the wings.  Look for the access panel with screw heads in it.   Generally  kudos should be given to uvonix for getting ADSB, strobe and position light approved by the FAA.  

5 hours ago, bob865 said:

Yes.  The install manual specifically calls this out.  The high voltage power supply must be bypassed. 

This is my question since I can't find it in the prints, Does the mooney have 1 or 2 high voltage power supplies for the wingtip strobes?

My F has a power supply in each wing. Optionally you can run a sync wire between the two to synchronize the strobes although I prefer them to be different and even have mine configured for different patterns.

-Robert

25 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

My F has a power supply in each wing

Awesome.  That's what I was hoping.  I was concerned disconnecting one strobe might cause the other to not work if it was a single power supply.

Just bought mine. RT side IN is being done now Only 12 v or 24 volt  is needed to each unit Strobe power supplies can be removed Separate power required for Strobe function (12v or 24 v) Nav lite power runs nav lite and ADSB Second power  line to Strobe 3 screws & 3 wires And install complete. App does all the configuring on your cell phone. Strobe sync when right side is available?  Wait for it. Wait for it Each unit takes the time from the GPS and they talk to each other and sync the flashing App will be Android and iPhone

Anyone know whether the Trig or the GDL 82 (when slaved to the onboard transponder) can have their ADS-B out signals turned off when needed?  Mooney Caravan had more than one ADS-B out unable to turn their signal off and it caused ATC some consternation.  Formation procedures really only want two transponders (and associated ADS-B out transmitters) working - the one in the lead aircraft and the one in the tail aircraft.

26 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Anyone know whether the Trig or the GDL 82 (when slaved to the onboard transponder) can have their ADS-B out signals turned off when needed?  Mooney Caravan had more than one ADS-B out unable to turn their signal off and it caused ATC some consternation.  Formation procedures really only want two transponders (and associated ADS-B out transmitters) working - the one in the lead aircraft and the one in the tail aircraft.

Pull a breaker?

• Like 2