Mooney Mechanic Near Lexington Kentucky

rcwilbur

Does anyone know of an experienced Mooney Mechanic near Lexington?  I saw in a past post a recommendation for a mechanic located at Kentucky Airmotive in Mt Sterling named Sue.  I called Kentucky Airmotive and Sue no longer works there.  Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I have had avionics work done at Mustang Aviation at KLEX, and just returned from KIOB for avionics. I am pleased with both for avionics, but did not have mechanical work done at either shop. I have not heard anything negative about either shop, but neither is especially known for Mooney maintenance. 

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, RCW.

Standby for some assistance...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks.  Been lurking and learning for awhile.  This is a fantastic site with a wealth of information.  A huge asset to the Mooney community.  Look forward to being able to participate in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

I have had avionics work done at Mustang Aviation at KLEX, and just returned from KIOB for avionics. I am pleased with both for avionics, but did not have mechanical work done at either shop. I have not heard anything negative about either shop, but neither is especially known for Mooney maintenance. 

I called Kentucky Airmotive at KIOB and they had someone in their avionics shop that had worked on Mooneys, but sounded like he was more of an avionics expert.

My Mooney was maintained by Attitude Aviation in Huntington, WV before I moved to Alabama. They also maintain several others. Attitude has two locations, my former base at KHTW and one at the big airport, KHTS, a 30 minute drive across the river or a 4nm flight.

Lexington is just a short Mooney flight away.

6 hours ago, Hank said:

My Mooney was maintained by Attitude Aviation in Huntington, WV before I moved to Alabama. They also maintain several others. Attitude has two locations, my former base at KHTW and one at the big airport, KHTS, a 30 minute drive across the river or a 4nm flight.

Lexington is just a short Mooney flight away.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.  

7 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

RC  Sue has moved up to Minneapolis.  I don't know anyone else there.

Do you have contact information for Sue?  She may know the individual that Kentucky Airmotive suggested, if they worked their at the same time or be able to give me thoughts on others in Lexington area who she might recommend.  Thanks very much.

Carl, for a prebuy, you should really consider a Mooney service center with experience. While this 92 J  is not of the vintage category, where it would be mandatory to have this level of knowledge review it, few non Mooney IA's know the nuances that could turn into a spendy first year of ownership. If the seller has a good plane, he will welcome a "pro" giving it a prebuy. If not, let that be a red flag for you. Surely he wont be worried about it being declared "unairworthy" away from home or he should deserve what he gets for trying to sell a plane represented as airworthy. Bottom line is he would be responsible for any airworthy items anyway. I emailed you one suggestion yesterday, AGL Aviation, while not right in Lexington where the plane is, it isnt far by Mooney standards. 

• 2 years later...

Welcome aboard Lex...

It is always good to have two resources for mechanics...

1) A local mechanic may have most of the skills you will need...

2) Needing to go to an MSC is when it is a Mooney specific part that needs to be replaced... not very often...

Good luck with your hunt!

Best regards,

-a-