Garmin TXi Flight Displays, GTN Navigators, GFC Autopilots and G5 Updates

Rmag

G5 approved as standby for G500 or TXi

VNAV in GTN 750/650 for instrument descent planning within a flight plan.  Step down altitudes, etc.

QWERTY keyboard in GTN 750/650

GFC 500 autopilot now approved with G500 or TXi with seemless backup integration with G5.

New TXi display orientations and configurations. 

Plus more...

1 hour ago, Rmag said:
G5 approved as standby for G500 or TXi

VNAV in GTN 750/650 for instrument descent planning within a flight plan.  Step down altitudes, etc.

QWERTY keyboard in GTN 750/650

GFC 500 autopilot now approved with G500 or TXi with seemless backup integration with G5.

New TXi display orientations and configurations. 

Plus more...

Any information update about when GFC500 will come to the Mooney line?

16 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Very exciting news. Should be a little easier to find a shop to install a G5 for an aspen backup. It’s also considered a backup for all three (AI, AS, and altimeter) instruments now. 

Not quite. They clearly call out the G5 as an approved backup for their G500 and TXi products. No mention of backing anyone's stuff up. It may come with time, but they clearly are targeting the backup as something for their own products.

Any information update about when GFC500 will come to the Mooney line?
Earlier I think I read early 2019 for us. They're starting work on a customer Bravo next month, and I believe it is a ~6 month flow. I expect they've already done some work or have some existing data from their own J and R models, so hopefully testing in the M is enough to envelope the entire non-G1000 fleet.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Not quite. They clearly call out the G5 as an approved backup for their G500 and TXi products. No mention of backing anyone's stuff up. It may come with time, but they clearly are targeting the backup as something for their own products.

I read this on Beechtalk:

Will the G5 be approved as standby instrument for Aspen PFD ?

I'm interested in a G5/GFC500 combo but only if it's able to sync heading bugs, altitude select, airspeed bugs, barometric pressure setting with the Aspen EFD1000.

GFC600 is not option for me, as only the GFC500 is expected to be STC'd for Mooney's.

I was told by Garmin this will never happen. Aspen protocols are different and Garmin uses Canbus. I looked into this a while back. Wanted to install a G5/GFC500 in the TC position since I have an Aspen. The GTN can either talk to the Aspen or the G5 but not both.

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Earlier I think I read early 2019 for us. They're starting work on a customer Bravo next month, and I believe it is a ~6 month flow. I expect they've already done some work or have some existing data from their own J and R models, so hopefully testing in the M is enough to envelope the entire non-G1000 fleet.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I would love to install the GFC500 this winter...when flying is a bit slow.

Hey all you Oshkosh people - can you press them at the Garmin booth?

Edited by aviatoreb

17 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

So does this mean I can get a single 7” display, backed up by G5 and scrap the 6 pack? Use to have 2 7” displays.

Yes.

A single 7” PFD was always an option but you you needed a backup. You could have backed up with another 7” reversionary MFD or steam gauges or L3 ESI 500, etc.  Now you can use a G5 for backup when it’s approved.

The Garmin blog said that the 7” is going to available as a horizontal PFD too; not just vertical  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rmag said:

I read this on Beechtalk:

Will the G5 be approved as standby instrument for Aspen PFD ?

I'm interested in a G5/GFC500 combo but only if it's able to sync heading bugs, altitude select, airspeed bugs, barometric pressure setting with the Aspen EFD1000.

GFC600 is not option for me, as only the GFC500 is expected to be STC'd for Mooney's.

I was told by Garmin this will never happen. Aspen protocols are different and Garmin uses Canbus. I looked into this a while back. Wanted to install a G5/GFC500 in the TC position since I have an Aspen. The GTN can either talk to the Aspen or the G5 but not both.

That’s for open communication between the g5 and the aspen screen. Not needed to be used as a backup and not available with any other system. IMO Garmin has a lot of faith in the g5 to backup a G500 which doesn’t even have a battery backup. Convincing the local authority to do a field approval on the G5 should not be any harder than the Sandia. 

My plan with the recent news from left to right...

G5 over a king cdi (because I have a 155 otherwise I’d add a gad29) 

aspen (possible SV unlock) centered above the yoke

Garmin 660 mounted vertical

JPI 830 mounted vertical

My inspiration, on a budget:E8376AFE-69D1-4840-8E33-A8108954A622.thumb.jpeg.4c33731e43c7e74b05bf46ab41d57ce3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Does the TXi connect to GPS using their Ethernet interface or RS232?
Does it need to connect to the G5, or are they completely separate?
If you get the GFC500, which box controls it? If 500, will the G5 be able to control it if 500 is down?

The beauty of the G500 combo g5 is that everything is synced up and the g5 can continue flying the AP via gps navigation/approach if the G500 goes down. If the g5 fails the AP stops working. 

28 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Yep, so that is a limitation of the txi vs dual g5’s  

Its not just the natural redundancy of the dual G5 setup that I find attractive vs the all in one solutions like a G500 (or G1000).  Its that if there is a failure, that when it comes time to repair, then also you have just a little G5 to repair instead of your all in one unit.

I am confused whats the attraction of a G50O Txi to be used as an engine instrument - I get why the G500Txi as a PFD - but it seems like a very expensive engine instrument vs a JPI of some variant which is very capable and much cheaper.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

No, what I meant was: Dual G5s AND TXi.
So TXi goes down, you have dual G5s giving you attitude, navigation and autopilot backup.

Probably a little overkill. For me the critical time is if I lose my normal/main screen and having the AP still work would be a huge asset. VS a BK AP depending on a gad 43 adapter that would fail the AP and main screen (possibly) at the same time. 

I currently have a stec 50 that is fairly independent from my aspen. It’s not nearly as nice as a good BK or digital unit but it has been reliable so far and will be available to help if the aspen goes dark. 

I'm the one who asked the question on Beechtalk.com but didn't receive a reply. 

Aspen and G5 should be able to sync Alt, heading bugs by using standards Arinc 429 labels (so a GAD29 would be required) . But this functionality needs to be enabled on Garmin and Aspen side. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MIm20c said:

IMO the main threat to the aspen system is the 7 inch txi w/o SV with the g5 for backup. Dangerously close to the price of the aspen...

~12K for the baseline G500Txi

~2500 for G5

-7990 for Aspen pro w/Synthetic vision from Chief right now (through 7/31).

Excluding the backup- the Garmin Txi is 50% more expensive and doesn’t have synthetic vision.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, M016576 said:

~2500 for G5

Excluding the backup- the Garmin Txi is 50% more expensive and doesn’t have synthetic vision.

Agree about being more expensive especially with the very expensive SV unlock on rhe Garmin. Also a new left panel or patch will be needed on the txi. 

However, the list price of 12k for the txi and 11k for the pro is about the same. The cost of a backup is the same.  If anything I think aspen should permanently lower the pro cost to 8k and to make SV standard on it. It would really help to entice customers who are stuck between the G5 and the txi. 

1 minute ago, MIm20c said:

Agree about being more expensive especially with the very expensive SV unlock on rhe Garmin. Also a new left panel or patch will be needed on the txi. 

However, the list price of 12k for the txi and 11k for the pro is about the same. The cost of a backup is the same.  If anything I think aspen should permanently lower the pro cost to 8k and to make SV standard on it. It would really help to entice customers who are stuck between the G5 and the txi. 

I don’t think I’ve seen too many Garmin units out there much lower than list price unless you’ve got a *really* good connection.  With aspen, though- it’s not much of a challenge to find a 1000 pro pfd  priced at ~8000... mine, new, about 3 years ago cost 9000 installed... but.... and I know this has been rehashed a few times...

Aspen needs to upgrade their hardware with a faster processor and maybe a slightly larger form factory I remain competitive.  The E5 or whatever isn’t really going to help them.  I own one- I’m happy about what the company has done to help the industry, and I don’t want to see them go away... I also like the pressure they put on Garmin.  Unless they come up with something more modern though, they won’t survive another 5-10 years, I don’t think.

Garmin and “value price” don’t really go in the same sentence... but they do make nice equipment if you don’t mind the upcharge.  Maybe some of that will change with these G5’s though... they are probably the most “reasonable” thing Garmin has ever put out.  

• Like 3

~2500 for G5

The 7” is $10.5K (Sarasota Avionics), still more expensive,but not as much.

The 7” is $10.5K (Sarasota Avionics), still more expensive,but not as much.

Big question does it contain the required GAD modules? The Aspen comes with an ACU or ACU-2. To interface with analog radios (like most Nav Coms found in our planes) you need something like a GAD-43 (at least you did with the G500).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Big question does it contain the required GAD modules? The Aspen comes with an ACU or ACU-2. To interface with analog radios (like most Nav Coms found in our planes) you need something like a GAD-43 (at least you did with the G500).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The GAD 43 = EA100...some people need it, others don’t. 

I never considered the 7 inch txi a viable option until the g5 was certified for backup. Now it can compete IMO against the lower priced options. 

• Like 1