Aspen 3-panel display

setup for the RNAV 09 approach.IMG_1496.thumb.JPG.9cc6342c26c425eabe00c0646704593e.JPG
I don't know any other equipment that can give this kind of flexibility in cockpit navigation and situational awareness. 

You could have thrown in the second HSI to show the versatility. One tracking the RNAV approach to the airport and the other tracking the ILS to the same runway.

3944b9c440decf03aaeb9b154fc4a07c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruiser said:

setup for the RNAV 09 approach.IMG_1496.thumb.JPG.9cc6342c26c425eabe00c0646704593e.JPG

I don't know any other equipment that can give this kind of flexibility in cockpit navigation and situational awareness. 

Tom -- do you have any pictures and/or videos of the Aspen/STEC integration? I see the STEC autopilot stuff on top and the vertical speed button on the side. Can you show how the unit works during a vertical speed descent? When you hit the VS button, where does the vertical speed number show up to set? I suspect the STEC 3100 will eventually allow the IAS button to become real and control climbs and descents through indicated airspeed.

• First you set the altitude on the Altimeter tape by pushing the right knob in to select ALT at the bottom right  (HDG is displayed in light blue in the picture). You can see the solid bug at 6000 and the window at the top is set at 6000.
  • There is a hollow bug to the right of the HSI on the vertical speed tape. When you push the VS soft key the bug turns solid and you use the right knob to select the rate of climb or descent. A small window pops up with the numerical display until you finish and the bug moves up or down the tape as selected.
  • With the ALT pre-selected and the VS set you push the ALT and VS buttons on the autopilot and sit back.
  • The Aspen will automatically slow the rate as it approaches the Pre-selected ALT and the sonalert will sound to alert you.

I will get pictures next time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Thats easy,,the trolls that say the technology is antiquated while evangelizing 1985 vacuum AI's

Lol- not “the trolls”.... just that one guy- ;)

I find it funny how someone that has never flown with this equipment (aspen or avidyne) can have such a strong negative opinion of it!  Crazy....

Edited by M016576
  • Like 3

Lol- not “the trolls”.... just that one guy-
I find it funny how someone that has never flown with this equipment (aspen or avidyne) can have such a strong negative opinion of it!  Crazy....

I blame it on the gases he uses doing his job.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2