Why doesn't anyone sell non-solo renters insurance?

RobertGary1

A friend on mine is working at a flight school and gets a good rate on their twin. I'd like to fly the plane myself and would have him with me. My Mooney policy excludes twins and looking at renters policies you're a good $1,500/yr for twins with reasonable aircraft coverage. But that's expensive because it allows solo. It has to be extraordinarily common for pilots to buy twin renters insurance and never fly solo (few schools even rent solo). Its odd that no one has gobbled up this market.

-Robert

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

A friend on mine is working at a flight school and gets a good rate on their twin. I'd like to fly the plane myself and would have him with me. My Mooney policy excludes twins and looking at renters policies you're a good $1,500/yr for twins with reasonable aircraft coverage. But that's expensive because it allows solo. It has to be extraordinarily common for pilots to buy twin renters insurance and never fly solo (few schools even rent solo). Its odd that no one has gobbled up this market.

Wendy has often done things no one else said they could, might want to ask her.

Wendy Wenk

Wenk Aviation Insurance, LLC

900 North Shore Drive, Suite 109, Lake Bluff, IL  60044

847.235.2491 phone  800.225.9365 toll free  847.235.2559 fax

wendy@wenkaviation.com

• Like 1

What's important is that you're thinking of your non owned exposure.  There are too many pilots out there that assume they can't be held liable for physical damage to another person's aircraft if they meet the open pilot warranty and/or are a named pilot.  This is generally not the case, unless there's a waiver of subrogation contained in the policy as well. 

14 minutes ago, jwilcoxon78 said:

What's important is that you're thinking of your non owned exposure.  There are too many pilots out there that assume they can't be held liable for physical damage to another person's aircraft if they meet the open pilot warranty and/or are a named pilot.  This is generally not the case, unless there's a waiver of subrogation contained in the policy as well. 

My insurance guy told me if I’m flying someone else’s plane and land it gear up because I forgot to put the gear down they will cover the damage. If it is because of a maintenance issue they won’t cover it.

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

My insurance guy told me if I’m flying someone else’s plane and land it gear up because I forgot to put the gear down they will cover the damage. If it is because of a maintenance issue they won’t cover it.

So long as you have non-owned coverage on your policy, that is correct. 

• Like 1

Hmmm... just checked my insurance policy. The restrictions on non-owned coverage is no more than 4 total seats and less than 12,500 pounds.

So a small twin would be covered.... but I'm still thinking this is pretty restrictive.

21 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hmmm... just checked my insurance policy. The restrictions on non-owned coverage is no more than 4 total seats and less than 12,500 pounds.

So a small twin would be covered.... but I'm still thinking this is pretty restrictive.

I need to check mine. I give checkrides in the T206 for Civil Air Patrol and my agent said I was covered for flying (not instructor malpractice of course) and that's 6 seats. I'll have to read my policy again.

-Robert

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

So my policy only allows for single engine for non-owner but another endorsement provides coverage for "temporary use of substitute aircraft" and it does not limit to single engine. However, my agent says that means I'm not covered in the twin.

-Robert