Anyone owned a Van's RV6 or RV7 before?

Built the one I fly. It flies great. I had no tailwheel time (other than getting the endorsement) prior to flying this.  As tailwheel airplanes go, it is a piece of cake.  But, there just is not enough room for my wife and little dog on long trips.  CLT to CVS is painful for a dog to sit on our laps.  Wanna trade?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Built the one I fly. It flies great. I had no tailwheel time (other than getting the endorsement) prior to flying this.  As tailwheel airplanes go, it is a piece of cake.  But, there just is not enough room for my wife and little dog on long trips.  CLT to CVS is painful for a dog to sit on our laps.  Wanna trade?

Where do you keep it? I live 11 miles from Locust, NC...

3 minutes ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

I've owned my Mooney for 6 yrs and can count the # of times I had someone in the back seat on one hand...

Even flying single, I use the backseat for luggage and my portable O2. Golf clubs and bag don’t lie flat, add a folding bike, it fills up.

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, carusoam said:

See if @Joe Zuffoletto has any details to share...

Best regards,

-a-

I've owned an RV-8 for 5 years and absolutely love it. I've never traveled in it but that will change soon when I ferry it from Denver to Northern CA next month. I always fly it solo and have never had a passenger in the back seat. It's the plane I bought for myself to enjoy the thrill of flying a sporty, aerobatic plane on nice days.

I don't think it would be a great traveling machine for two people because of the size and the tandem seating,. The -6 and -7 would be much better for that.

• Like 1

Currently watching the market for a really nice 7 or 8. Going back and forth between buying a flying version and one that is “close”.  Realistically trying to get a feel for how close is “close”. 

I think Joe’s system of travel plane AND fun plane is the way to go. Pa46/a36/Ovation/bravo and an RV/cub/etc. 

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, Wildhorsesracing said:

That's what I have heard, fast and fun.  I have the Mooney for fast and a Biplane for fun - thinking about consolidating into one aircraft.

Have you looked into an RV-10?  I've flown in the Van's demonstrator, and it's absolutely huge inside and has ~1000 lbs useful load, yet performance and fuel consumption maybe a little better than the M20J. 

I’ve been building my -7 as time permits over the last five years and have really been enjoying the building process. 

Will be moving it to my hangar next month so I can start the firewall forward portion. 

Once you fly one you will be wondering why you didn’t do it sooner. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Have you looked into an RV-10?  I've flown in the Van's demonstrator, and it's absolutely huge inside and has ~1000 lbs useful load, yet performance and fuel consumption maybe a little better than the M20J. 

I can count on one hand the # of times I have actually had someone in the back seat of my Mooney in the last 6 years, I wanted to find something smaller and possibly faster with room for luggage for two people.

4 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Once you fly one you will be wondering why you didn’t do it sooner. 

That's what I have heard as well, the RV Grin is real.

53 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Currently watching the market for a really nice 7 or 8. Going back and forth between buying a flying version and one that is “close”.  Realistically trying to get a feel for how close is “close”. 

I think Joe’s system of travel plane AND fun plane is the way to go. Pa46/a36/Ovation/bravo and an RV/cub/etc. 

I am leaning towards the 6 and 7 primarily for the comfort and baggage space.  I am looking for one that is close and I can finish or finished and been flying long enough to need refreshing.  I have a Hatz Biplane for fun and love it, looking at the RV to replace the Mooney.

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Close is always further than you think when it comes to building.  I did the slow build, first two years I was still working and could only spend one day and a couple evenings each week. Then retired and work on the RV a couple full days and a couple evenings a week for a year.  Built everything in my shop in the back yard so meals, restroom and travel were not a problem. One day everything was done and time to transport to the airport to final assemble and inspect which took 8 weeks on the same schedule.  One day short of 3 years first rivet to first flight.  It is about like building a house by yourself--a bunch of work.

The seats and rudder pedals ARE adjustable.  But not in flight.  Need a wrench for the pedals, pliers for the seats.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, amillet said:

I’ve ridden in my hangar neighbors RV 7.  My 6’3” frame does not fit very well.  Knees hit yoke or feet hit rudder pedals without uncomfortable contortions. Seats are not adjustable 

I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'2" - we sat in an RV-4 for size and it fit fine, but the RV-4 has limited baggage space.