Question on Brittain Service & Maintenance

The recent Brittain thread reminded me of a question/concern I’ve been pondering.  Given the unfortunate loss of Jerry and the current closure of Brittain, what is the prevailing thoughts on the serviceability and parts replaceabilty of their PCs, AP’s etc. What I’m specifically contemplating is that while I’m in the buying mode, would I be better off biasing a decision toward an aircraft with STEC or Century Vs a Brittain AP?  (All other things being roughly comparable) Or are repairs to Brittain wing levelers and APs readily available through other service resources and I should worry? Said differently, should I be concerned that loss of Brittain AP functionality liklely forces finding a non-Brittain replacement?  

Seeking your sage guidance. Jeff

There's no question that there is a cause for worry. Basically, Jerry kept Brittain going and it's loss shortly after his is just a bad omen. The system is relatively simple against today's technology and sustaining it is not that difficult--but also not easy under certified aircraft rules.

I flew an M20C for a decade before MooneySpace was born...

The Mooney Factory was shut down...

My wing leveler was inop...

I bought it anyways.

Have no fear.  The plane will fly perfectly well without a wing leveler if it comes to that...

Realistically these devices soldier on using new rubber hoses and other rubber bits.... and electrical tape...

Then when the new low cost APs come out...  you can pray for the Brittain device to croak...

A good CB can’t let something go that is still working.  :)

Best regards,

-a- 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McMooney said:

that reminds me, how difficult do you think it would be to install the brittain altitude hold.

I currently have the original brittain navflite-II.

Apparently more difficult than an Accu-Trak as my A& P said pass on doing the install.  Jerry did a fine job.  Service is DEFINITELY a BIG concern.  I wish someone would purchase and continue to support Brittain.

8 hours ago, McMooney said:

that reminds me, how difficult do you think it would be to install the brittain altitude hold.

I currently have the original brittain navflite-II.

I had it done, May 2011, $2,473.13 by a crusty A&P working for McKee Avionics at KHYI. I was pleased with the price, the install and the operation of it--but then again, I am a crusty old pilot flying a 50 year old Mooney :D

2 hours ago, HRM said:

I had it done, May 2011, $2,473.13 by a crusty A&P working for McKee Avionics at KHYI. I was pleased with the price, the install and the operation of it--but then again, I am a crusty old pilot flying a 50 year old Mooney :D

I inquired about this time last year and was quoted a bit over $3000 for the parts. They said it would probably take 18-24 months to collect and tag the parts and they could put me on the waiting list.

While it would be nice to have, I couldn’t justify the expense when the airplane holds altitude so well.  ‘Saving’ that money will buy a lot of fuel!

Luckily my plane was service by Brittian 3 years ago.  New servos and lots of parts.   So mine should be good for maybe more years than my pilot years should take me.  Or I will sell all the parts when Skyview comes online.

This is the brochure that Brittain sent me when I inquired about adding altitude hold to my PC system.

It says the entire Brittain Pitch Altitude Control System consist of four elements: (1) Function Panel…to engage and monitor the system via a miniaturized pitch trim indicator which visually references the position of the elevator trim taps. (2) Sensor-Computer Amplifier…the remotely located “sensing” device which is the heart of the system. (3) Altitude Hold Chamber. (4) Pneumatic Servos…connected to aircraft elevator mechanism.

Getting the "eyeball" for the trim indicator is the big issue according to the folks before Jerry passed. If it doesn't line up static its bad. There are 2 models and only one is a good one (IIRC its a brass bellows). Until someone can take over the company AND get certified to repair them we will be SOL.

I'm going with probably a TruTrac in a month or so if they get their STC done. I'll be at OSH looking into it next week. I will then have a perfectly good working Accutrac for sale. No alt hold. 

Thanks for all the responses. You’ve essentially confirmed my suspicion that as long as it works, they’re very good but if they break it’s quite likely a replacement will be required.  I keep watching how/when the TruTrak STC (or HDX and GFC) are progressing.  Hopefully there will soon be affordable options.  Thanks again for all the inputs. 

2 hours ago, Steve65E-NC said:

If installing a new boot, do not be satisfied with garden variety electrical tape.  I did a step recently and used 3M Scotch 33, it has better adhesive and more stretch and better environmental properties.

Absolutely! Not all electrical tape is created equal--a lot of cheap crap out there, some labeled with 'reputable' names. The real McCoy 3M will say "made in the USA".

• 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Reviving an old thread.  Can anyone advise as to the current status of Brittain Industries?  Thanks!

Jim

Their website is still alive, have you tried contacting them?

We called Brittain last week about an issue with the solenoid that seals the altitude reference chamber in our B-5 autopilot.  They are in a "slow ramp up" mode with the new owner.  Not much available in the way of parts (we wound up buying a salvage part), and it's unclear if they're doing any new development (e.g. integration with Garmin G5).  Mostly they appear to be just keeping the lights on, answering the phones, and sending occasional support documents at this time.  I'm cautiously hopeful Brittain will remain a viable concern, but I'd keep your expectations low for now.

Everyone's got to remember that the new owners have a lot to learn about the Brittain system and they have to qualify to the FAA also before they can start sending out parts they make. What their total business plan is no one outside knows at this time. 

Its a great autopilot and if I could get the altitude hold system I wouldn't change right now BUT the important part in that alt hold system hasn't been made for years. 

• Like 1