MOONEY BLADDERS

Ruthie

I’ve got the 54s installed in 1991.  How was the integrity of the old bags that you removed?
My bags as originally posted back in April was that all eight bags were perfect. They had no cracks, no leaks, no issues. My sending units were the cause of the leak. The reason I had to put new bags in last month was the AP who is no longer employed used metal scrapers to reinstall the bags to get them flat and punched holes in them then tried repairing then with tire tube patches. If they had not been damaged by him they would still be in use. I have I think four or five good bags. I just felt if I do it do them all.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. I’m so sorry to hear that, Joe. I hope you have since formed a relationship of trust with a competent A&P/IA. There is no way anyone just coming into GA can understand beforehand just how critical this one element is to having a good ownership experience. 
Aero-Tech Services, Inc. in California is the manufacturer. Did you inquire with them regarding their willingness to overhaul the damaged bladders?  Just curious.
Jim
In North Dakota it is very difficult to find an AP. There are two that have gouged me pretty bad. (And before anyone comes to their defense or claims slander or other BS I have receipts to prove it). I didn't want to take the time to wait for the repairs and Griggs could deliver faster. This whole thing started back in January and I'm just getting it ready for test flights next week. The AP had what I'd call a mental break down and lost his ability to wrench. Up to that point things were good. But this set back involved the FAA, the Fargo FSDO,. And local FBOs and truthfully it almost broke me to enjoy or persue the completion of the plane. In the future it will go to the Minot FBO where they sell Mooneys and we'll see how it goes. Otherwise I'm removing the type certification and it will become experimental then I'll do the work. Airplanes of this vintage are not complex or complicated. Not everyone can or should work on them but there are a few like myself that can. Only time will tell.

Agreed completely.  And, again, I am really sorry to hear of your experiences. I think under your circumstances I would seek out the local EAA community. Often times the true craftsmen reside there and some of them hold A&P/IA ratings.  Some of the best of them will work with you once they see the type of owner and wrench you are. 
Good luck!
Jim

Thanks,. But I really do believe what doesn't break you makes you stronger. When this saga is all done I will be posting pictures of the plane before and after.

• Like 1

I added the 10 gallon cells to my 20 year old 54 gallon system this year. Installed by AGL Aviation at MRN. Original cells appear to be as good as new. I am very happy with the added range. MRN-MSN was 5:00 w 35 knot headwinds and we used 44 gallons. MSN was IFR so it was good to have 20 gallons on board instead of 10.

This was Lynn's first time on this specific install and we updated the JPI 930 and added CiES senders at the same time so it didn't save on the time it take Griggs to do the extra cell but it saved me taking the plane to PA and going back after it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Does anyone have the installation drawings/instructions for the bladder installation procedure? Trying to get an idea of the amount of work involved and decide if I want to pull the trigger on the 54 or 64 gallon system.
Call Griggs Aircraft speak to Ruthie. She has the information you are asking for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruthie said:

Send me an email and I will get the docs out to you asap

You need to love this site, the members and the vendors that monitor and respond to request, questions and comments.  MS is a great resource to the community of Mooney owners.:)

• Like 4

This looks like a great deal. I was quoted $14k plus 80-90 hrs labor for a 64 gallon system back in January of this year. I suppose that was a terrible quote...? Anyway, it made a proper strip and reseal with a warranty seem like a bargain, so that's what I did. 

wow , someone is really confused or something....

the $ 14,250.00 is the installed price,( kit plus installation)  NOT just the kit   That would have been an approximate $20,000 ………….all considered

I wish you would have called 

The kit alone ready for installation is $8875.00