Moving to a twin, so the Mooney has to go...

Although I am loathe to sell the Mooney, I have decided to buy a C-310 to fit the family and give greater flexibility; plus I feel I don't do enough to support the 100LL producers :)   It became painfully obvious on our last trip to Florida that we need more lift and the added 'insurance' of the second engine as I do alot of night and IFR with the family.  In addition,  it's a fully upgraded, meticulously maintained Oshkosh trophy winner and a real attention-getter (good for feeding my narcissism :) ) 
I've done all the research and cost analysis.  Yep, it's more expensive to operate (about 65% more), but frankly, I view the extra cost as insurance.  It's just too good a deal to pass up and a perfect fit so the Mooney has to go. 

The Mooney ('75F) is not officially on the market as there is one more small tweak to get the cowling just right and that will happen after KOSH. 
She's very low-time and I have spent the last four years going though her with a fine-tooth comb.  She flies straight and true with feet-on-floor.  Engine runs strong and uses about 1qt every 12 hours.
Her paint and interior are not the best, but that's because I have focused on mechanical rather than cosmetics.  She is well loved, maintained and flies regularly!

As an aside, I looked seriously at the heavy-hauler singles, but they all suffer from the same two problems.  1)  Only one engine turning late at night and IFR.   2) No sex appeal.  It may sound stupid, but I think an airplane should have sex appeal.  Thats probably why I like the Mooney so much.

There is much more information.  Feel free to PM if interested.  I have a couple of interested parties, but I would love it to go to someone here.  Will be asking $59,871

Matt

Riley Exterior and Cockpit3.jpg

Riley Exterior and Cockpit5.jpg

I owned a 1957 310, overwing exhaust, straight tail and tuna tanks. I still miss it. I tried to buy it back years later and it had been parted out. It was a very stable ifr platform, in spite of being light on ailerons due to weight at wingtips. Fuel system on early 310s simple - on later models not so much. I filed for 170 tas and typically burned about 22 gph (ouch!) - instrument approaches were easy but faster than a Mooney of course. Single engine work was also straight forward as long as you remember that your yawing motion after an engine failure will be a bit more than expected if your light on payload but heavy on fuel- 300 pounds multiplied by the arm of a wing = a pretty good moment Force, on the tuna tankers anyway. I could go on and on :)
Have fun in your transition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Most sane people wouldn’t own one big bore Continental engine let alone 2 of them.  Something with a pair of Lycoming engines would make more sense in my opinion.

Clarence

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

..... They ALL come back! ....

I did.  Then I left again.  Perhaps the scent of JetA called me home. 

A nice 310 sounds fine to me because I flew around with my uncle in his 310D in the 1960s.  

OK, I rode around; I was just a kid.  Fond memories of that high-tech machine.  

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

This is the proposed upgrade.  Hoping to have her in my hanger by the end of August.  We shall see.....

IMG_20180619_091847690_HDR.jpg

Enjoy the bumblebee! Sorry about your coming fuel bills . . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/18/2018 at 12:34 PM, BigD said:

I owned a 1957 310, I filed for 170 tas and typically burned about 22 gph.

I would have expected faster. If I choose to burn 22 GPH (essentially never), I get 190 KTAS from my Baron. 175 KTAS takes 20 GPH.

This topic brings back memories... in the early 90’s I flew a rather rough C310Q.  It was a blast to fly, and I’d expected that by now it had been parted out. Nope   N5LH  is still turning dead dinosaurs into beautiful noise.  Finding it still active on flightaware made my day.

-dan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This one is 185 @ 10000 on 22. It is carburated though so not quite as efficient.

I would have expected faster. If I choose to burn 22 GPH (essentially never), I get 190 KTAS from my Baron. 175 KTAS takes 20 GPH.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I see that it hasn't been converted to the underwing exhaust. Be extremely careful in inspecting for spar corrosion, since these early models are notorious for that. In addition to the nose gear problems, main gear side brace problems, and of course, the slipping starter adapter problems.

Almost forgot to mention that these engines are prone to case cracking. $$$$$

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 1