TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

Funny, even though I know that's true I always think of it as ...

BK... Burger King

Except at Burger King you can have it your way..... Bendix King.... well lets say they show you previews of whats on the menu but you will never know if it's going to be served.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, Bob R said:

If anyone is interested, he is the latest from TruTrak

Hello Bob,

My name is Stephen and I am taking over for Corey as he has chosen to move on from the company.

We are on track to release the Mooney STC at OshKosh 2019.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Stephen

Best of luck Stephen.  I sincerely hope you guys can meet your Oshkosh target.  There have been so many missed targets, I finally gave up and starting taking steps to fix the Britain.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, DustinNwind said:

@Navi any update on STC for Mooneys?

Not Navi ;) but I am anxiously awaiting a call around Oshkosh but not holding my breath.  I speak to Stephen at TT weekly and ask him every time.  No date yet just “hoping for....”

I have about 20 slots reserved so far and Stephen has told me mine will be some of the first to go out. 

As soon as I hear anything from him I will post it immediately and email those who are on my list.

if you want to join the list shoot me an email or PM

Let me see.  When was the last time I heard that?

Nothing personal, but I have been hearing that same story for almost a year now, and making plans based on it.  I am done.  I just had my Brittain redone by the shop recommended by Brittain.  I am too old to wait on Trutrak any longer.  I am so old would probably lose my medical before it actually is released for a Mooney.

I realize that the holdup is probably the FAA rather than Trutrak, but the result is the same.  I hate seeing an innovative group like Trutrak getting a bad reputation due to the FAA.  Trutrak apparently has an innocent faith in what they are being told.  An honest man who honors his commitments tends to believe that everyone else honors theirs.  Quite impressive attitude but it doesn’t produce sellable products and happy customers.

Let me see.  When was the last time I heard that?

Nothing personal, but I have been hearing that same story for almost a year now, and making plans based on it.  I am done.  I just had my Brittain redone by the shop recommended by Brittain.  I am too old to wait on Trutrak any longer.  I am so old would probably lose my medical before it actually is released for a Mooney.

I realize that the holdup is probably the FAA rather than Trutrak, but the result is the same.  I hate seeing an innovative group like Trutrak getting a bad reputation due to the FAA.  Trutrak apparently has an innocent faith in what they are being told.  An honest man who honors his commitments tends to believe that everyone else honors theirs.  Quite impressive attitude but it doesn’t produce sellable products and happy customers.

Is that how they got certifications for brands C and P models? Sounds like age induced grumping. Go drink a beer or 4. It will be better after that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sorry, but when I am told “next month” and then almost a year later I am still being told “next month,” it’s time to give up on them and try something different.

BTW, I don’t drink, so your prescription won’t accomplish anything for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 9:37 PM, Navi said:

Just had an online conversation with Corey Reed yesterday.. . For guy that was (supposedly?) fired, he sure still has a great relationship with TruTrack. He is still offering help and suggestions on the TT autopilot and is actively promoting their product.

He is pursuing his dream of flying commercially.  Building lots of hours flying a Cessna for a surveying/mapping company. Says the hours are  building, but having some very long days when the weather is good....

Nav

True!

Just got of the phone with Stephen at TT, and with his permission I am giving an update:

TT is hoping now to have the the STC paperwork submitted to FAA by OshKosh. After the paperwork is submitted it is up to the FAA approve the STC. Best case scenario is 3 weeks but could be 3 months +. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NJMac said:

I'll take one when they're ready but dang. So done with these teasers. Call me when you're ready to put one in my plane. Thanks.

I hear ya.  Stephen told me the same thing but I’m not posting anymore maybes. I feel like a scorned wife :unsure:. When he tells me they are approved I will let everyone know.  I have many of you in my list and have submitted it to Stephen to reserve the first units. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 5:50 PM, NJMac said:

I'll take one when they're ready but dang. So done with these teasers. Call me when you're ready to put one in my plane. Thanks.

You’re gonna get hungry waiting on this..

It will happen. Yes, I know everyone is excited and anxious and tired of the “it’s coming” story. But it will. When they announced for the 172 we put our name on the list and waited. No reason to call constantly. They’ll let you know when it’s ready, hey want to sell a bunch of them. Then we decided to put one in a 182 and waited again and it happened. Now I’m wanting to do one in a Mooney. An E, but that's a longer wait. And it IS worth it. They fly the airplane beautifully, accurately and smoothly. Best $7,500.00 we’ve ever spent! 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, LeeBurk said:

It will happen. Yes, I know everyone is excited and anxious and tired of the “it’s coming” story. But it will. When they announced for the 172 we put our name on the list and waited. No reason to call constantly. They’ll let you know when it’s ready, hey want to sell a bunch of them. Then we decided to put one in a 182 and waited again and it happened. Now I’m wanting to do one in a Mooney. An E, but that's a longer wait. And it IS worth it. They fly the airplane beautifully, accurately and smoothly. Best $7,500.00 we’ve ever spent! 

True !.... Believe me.... TT wants this approved and shipping more than EVERYBODY here!  :) 

It is worth the wait...  Mine (In my Warrior) has exceeded expectations... it flies the plane accurately and consistently...  19 of 20 PA-28s fly out the door with the factory settings.. (they must have test flown this system a LOT!)  Problems have been very few. TT have overnighted replacement components when needed... Tech support has been helpful and accurate. Some shops have done SO MANY installs that there are second nature.. plane in on Monday AM, it flies  home with the new owner Tues evening..  Looks like there are more TTs being installed than all other autopilots combined. One shop in Florida  has done over 40, and that was as of May, and they are doing multiple installs each week.

This idea of week/ two week down time for autopilot installs is history.. Talk about "disruptive technology" ?  - You are witnessing it... The TT flies rings around all the old rate based stuff... (which is still available if you want to pay more (a LOT more) for old technology...)

There is no reason at all that TT will not have the same results with the Mooneys. You are gona like it... !

Nav

Edited by Navi
Typo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 8:28 PM, Navi said:

True !.... Believe me.... TT wants this approved and shipping more than EVERYBODY here!  :) 

It is worth the wait...  Mine (In my Warrior) has exceeded expectations... it flies the plane accurately and consistently...  19 of 20 PA-28s fly out the door with the factory settings.. (they must have test flown this system a LOT!)  Problems have been very few. TT have overnighted replacement components when needed... Tech support has been helpful and accurate. Some shops have done SO MANY installs that there are second nature.. plane in on Monday AM, it flies  home with the new owner Tues evening..  Looks like there are more TTs being installed than all other autopilots combined. One shop in Florida  has done over 40, and that was as of May, and they are doing multiple installs each week.

This idea of week/ two week down time for autopilot installs is history.. Talk about "disruptive technology" ?  - You are witnessing it... The TT flies rings around all the old rate based stuff... (which is still available if you want to pay more (a LOT more) for old technology...)

There is no reason at all that TT will not have the same results with the Mooneys. You are gona like it... !

Nav

Wonderful!  Now where is the Mooney certification?:unsure:

On 5/10/2019 at 5:23 AM, Navi said:

You are in guys!  if you have a Mooney M20 J, K, M, R or S model.    Garmin just announced the STC approval for the GFC 500. (AV Web this AM) No details..

Nav 

So, exactly which M20’s will be included in the TruTrak STC if it ever materializes?  Which letter models?

On 7/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, Navi said:

Nav

Wow - that is impressive.  From what I hear, remove of an old autopilot (mine being KFC200) takes as much or more labor time as install.  In the above description of in Mon am, home Tues evening, is that for clean no autopilot airplanes, or ones that also require removal of an old autopilot also?

I had one avionics shop describe their general pricing of autopilots install labor is roughly 25hrs per servo involved?

25 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Wow - that is impressive.  From what I hear, remove of an old autopilot (mine being KFC200) takes as much or more labor time as install.  In the above description of in Mon am, home Tues evening, is that for clean no autopilot airplanes, or ones that also require removal of an old autopilot also?

Remember... The above is for the Pipers... And yes, for "clean" installs.. moving any of the radio stack around and moving antennas on the belly of the aircraft under the back seat adds to the time/cost.

Removing our old AP was easy, and the time involved in removals was gained back with time saved by using existing wiring from the GPS (2) , master switch , breaker and yoke switch wiring..  So the removal time was a wash....  (and  the TT roll servo bolts back in the SAME place. and with the identical bracket dimensions  as the Century I servo)

Panels removed for the Century I removal were the same panels for the TT install.

>>I had one avionics shop describe their general pricing of autopilots install labor is roughly 25hrs per servo involved?

We did the WHOLE removal/installation in 19-20  man hours...

Again, this in a Piper Warrior. Mooneys will be different. I am told there are more difficult to access some areas..

The TT install in the PA-28s is brilliantly simple... (others words)  I caution the Mooneys may be different.. but word in the forums suggest it may be quite easy... The "25 hrs per servo"  thingy has NOT been the case for the TTs being installed in Cessnas,  PA-28s and PA-32s...

We will know soon...

Nav

Edited by Navi
typo

The TT install in the PA-28s is brilliantly simple... (others words)  I caution the Mooneys may be different..

Are you saying I should sell the Moonship and get a piper?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1