TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

Still a 'few weeks' before submitting for STC...

The company has teamed with Duncan Aviation for the STC process, and said it will soon complete the ground and flight testing required to submit the STC documentation to the FAA within the next few weeks.

We'll see...

-Don

>>The company has teamed with Duncan Aviation for the STC process, and said it will soon complete the ground and flight testing required to submit the STC documentation to the FAA within the next few weeks.

As expected...  :)

Looks like my source was correct..

All the ground and flight testing that TT had done had to be repeated under the BK/Duncan name. Shame all that work did not survive the  sale/transfer , TT to BK.    :(

N

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 5:05 AM, nosky2high said:

Okay, I’m guessing the paperwork sits with the FAA for how long? Another 2-3 years? So we should plan on Airventure 2024 for the announcement that the BK Aerocruze formerly TruTrak autopilot is finally approved for the Mooney. Figure another year for parts and supply delay excuses, I’ll schedule my install with our shop in summer 2025. Get excited people! We’re finally getting an affordable autopilot. Of course the price by then will be $10k. 

Go Dynon!!!

Sadly, you’re probably right.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:05 PM, hammdo said:

Still a 'few weeks' before submitting for STC...

The company has teamed with Duncan Aviation for the STC process, and said it will soon complete the ground and flight testing required to submit the STC documentation to the FAA within the next few weeks.

We'll see...

-Don

I wonder what kind of stake Duncan Aviation has in the process. If they are financially invested maybe that’s more motivation for the process to move forward. Or maybe I’m being naively optimistic.

22 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

I wonder what kind of stake Duncan Aviation has in the process. If they are financially invested maybe that’s more motivation for the process to move forward. Or maybe I’m being naively optimistic.

I dunno, but everyone needs to take it down a notch befor you run these folks off too. Is it late? Yeah… but refrain from talking them down. Like what good will it do. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 7:05 AM, nosky2high said:

Okay, I’m guessing the paperwork sits with the FAA for how long? Another 2-3 years? So we should plan on Airventure 2024 for the announcement that the BK Aerocruze formerly TruTrak autopilot is finally approved for the Mooney. Figure another year for parts and supply delay excuses, I’ll schedule my install with our shop in summer 2025. Get excited people! We’re finally getting an affordable autopilot. Of course the price by then will be $10k. 

Go Dynon!!!

I was told in September 2018 by the TT rep, face to face at a trade show type event that the testing was recently finished, submitted and I could purchase it “ next month.”   It might end up being “next month,” but from what month?

So, we are at almost three years and counting.  Real reliable organization this.<_<

On 7/27/2021 at 7:05 AM, nosky2high said:

Go Dynon!!!

Airventure 2024?  I’ve never met you, but you appear to be a quite optimistic person by nature.   Very impressive!:)

5 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I was told in September 2018 by the TT rep, face to face at a trade show type event that the testing was recently finished, submitted and I could purchase it “ next month.”   It might end up being “next month,” but from what month?

So, we are at almost three years and counting.  Real reliable organization this.<_<

Much has changed MBDiagMan, much has changed......

With the Mooney project, all new players had to start all over again... :(

Nav

14 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

The change was the naneplate from TT to Aerocruze. 

Also I wouldn't be surprised since TruTrak was located in the SW part of the US they were dealing with a different FAA office than when Bendix King bought them. That might have been the reason for having to start over on the Mooney certification.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will.iam said:

The change was the naneplate from TT to Aerocruze. 

Much more..

Lets take off the pilot hat, put on a business hat for a minute. 

The STC for the Mooney, was NOT COMPLETE at the time of SALE of the company ASSETS. The Mooney STC did not EXIST as an ASSET. (And still does not)   Call it "work in progress" if you want, but it DID NOT EXIST as a transferrable ASSET (STC), so there was nothing that could be "purchased" by BK. 

BK purchased all the "ASSETS" of TT, but the Mooney STC was not awarded, so it did not exist.

The project died on the vine. 

Except for Andrew, the players all changed, parts suppliers changed (TT made a lot of parts "in house" ) and priorities changed, especially with Covid, company survival probably went to the top.  And as posted above, probably a different FAA office was another hurdle. 

Name plate change? BK did not care. BK sold MANY APs with the TT nameplate still on the units until all stock was used up and new ones were made. BK was desperate for parts to make up complete shipments.  Remember, through all of this, Piper and Cessna pilots continue to lay down money for this AP, it was December last year when  shipments started to catch up with orders.

Pilot hat back on, business hat  back on the (retired)  business shelf.

YMMV.

Nav

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hector said:

Spoke with the BK engineer here at AirVenture. Certification by FAA in September and he gave me a $200 voucher good when I purchase the kit. I guess we will see……..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well now.......  !  :)

N

10 hours ago, Hector said:

Spoke with the BK engineer here at AirVenture. Certification by FAA in September and he gave me a $200 voucher good when I purchase the kit. I guess we will see……..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh huh.^_^  sure.  Only two months from now?  Wow!  Where is it that I heard that before?  Oh yeah, it was from the same people except their pay check is now signed by some one different.

Same old vapor ware, different label.

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I thought the 230 was already certified or am i mossing something 

No, you are not. For those with a KFC 150, it is a certified replacement. For those poorer cousins of us with a KAP 150, it is not. The update is supposedly in the works.