TruTrak Autopilot Pre Order's / Status Update

Jeev

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

After watching the video I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by Oshkosh 2021 the Aerocruze 100 (TruTrak) for the Mooney will be certified. Very good decision on their part to partner up with a long-term TruTrak dealer to complete the certification, flight testing, etc. In-the-real-world testing is where it's at!

Mid Continent is probably the "Dealer" .. 

They have a capable STC team... :)

N

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Navi said:

Mid Continent is probably the "Dealer" .. 

They have a capable STC team... :)

N

The fact that they are in Kansas and BK is in Kansas would make sense.

The products they develop are excellent. If I had an airplane with steam gauges the first thing I would do is replace the turn coordinator with a Mid-Continent Lifesaver Gyro. 

1 hour ago, Sandman993 said:

Need speed brakes next. Don’t drill anymore holes or the panel gonna be in the floor. Heck of a set of radios for a 140.

next time your on a first date and you want to impress her... show her a picture of a C130 and say, I fly a C140.

Right - a C140 is a C130 with upgrade engines?

And can I install a Trutrek autopilot in my C130?  4th quarter for the STC?

3 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I might as well derail this thread since it is getting zero results for the autopilot.  A picture of the latest mod to my 140’s panel.

I wonder how many 140’s can file Slash Golf?

D3E8BD82-BE84-4D7F-938F-5E5687168AAB.jpeg

Mine had the pianos keys. Was that only certain years or do people remove them?

That's a 140? Boy you've really modified that bulkhead

Mine was one of the first SE airplanes to have a transponder in the LAX basin. I was full IFR and with all venturi driven gyros on a C-85-12.

IIRC 47 and later had the piano keys

Rag wings were faster if you took the wing twist out of them :-)

They spin well for spin training

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Mine had the pianos keys. Was that only certain years or do people remove them?

Don’t know if it originally had the piano keys or not.  This is a ‘48 that went through an extensive Restomod in 1980.  A 150 was clearly donated to the project.  Many components including the O-200A, alternator, vacuum pump, wheel pants, seats,.... came from a 150.  At the same time the original panel was removed and this one custom built from scratch.  It got all the latest avionics of the time.  A week ago Com 1 came out and replaced with the 420.  Nav 2 came out and replaced with the indicator.  NAV 1 is still a LOC/GS.  The ADS-B IN/OUT transponder went in a couple of years ago.

The person that did the Retomod in 1980 gave it to his wife for her birthday and she got her instrument rating in it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

After watching the video I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by Oshkosh 2021 the Aerocruze 100 (TruTrak) for the Mooney will be certified. Very good decision on their part to partner up with a long-term TruTrak dealer to complete the certification, flight testing, etc. In-the-real-world testing is where it's at!

No disrespect meant Lance, but although I hope you’re right, I’ll believe it when I see it.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:10 PM, Hector said:

I did speak with the BK guys very briefly and they said end of May for Truetrak approval for Mooney’s. . Do I believe that? Absolutely not.

Are you certain you heard that correctly?  Could he have said the Truetrak May be approved for Mooneys?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Don’t know if it originally had the piano keys or not.  This is a ‘48 that went through an extensive Restomod in 1980.  A 150 was clearly donated to the project.  Many components including the O-200A, alternator, vacuum pump, wheel pants, seats,.... came from a 150.  At the same time the original panel was removed and this one custom built from scratch.  It got all the latest avionics of the time.  A week ago Com 1 came out and replaced with the 420.  Nav 2 came out and replaced with the indicator.  NAV 1 is still a LOC/GS.  The ADS-B IN/OUT transponder went in a couple of years ago.

The person that did the Retomod in 1980 gave it to his wife for her birthday and she got her instrument rating in it.

I was impressed with the 140 because it had a starter and in panel radio. Before that I’d been flying Aeroncas and J-3s. 

• 2 months later...

I'm going out on a limb here-

Since I have strong doubts about the TT A/P being approved for the early curved ailerons ( I will try to verify my doubts at OSH on a couple weeks) one might go "Primary Category" by STC and then one might try hooking up the servos under the radio shelf in the back and tie roll control to the rudder push/pull tube as it is connected to the ailerons through the interconnect spring,    

TT did this several times on experimentals that had bad adverse yaw problems when ailerons only roll control was tried in a 2 axis A/P situation. They went to use the rudder for roll/direction control and solved their problems to great extent. So using rudder for direction control has been done successfully.

Mounting the servos under the shelf would be simple and quick. A clear path to the link bellcranks for hookup is available. It would be wise to maybe change out the interconnect spring for a new one and check for wear in the hookup holes for the spring. 

If the interconnect spring were to break only a higher yaw situation would occur and the A/P could be shut off. Control of the airplane would not be lost. 

Either that or build up a working Brittian system as a few others have done. There should be enough parts around to cobble up a working system. There are enough old Mooney going to the grave yard to source parts. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:00 AM, dstites said:

It makes me very sad to have found this thread in this state being a new owner. I guess that “May” date didn’t work out

I understand your feelings.  I have had those feelings for almost three years now.

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I understand your feelings.  I have had those feelings for almost three years now.

I’m glad to see these brawny Mooney pilots are finally getting in touch with their inner feelings. Now if we could get certain Bravo drivers to soften up and show us that tender side.

sure hope no Bo pilots see this post.

• 2 weeks later...